OK, I'm In

jamiche

Reaction score
Five years of mediocrity under Tubby. I'm ready to buy in. I told my wife that we almost never win in Champaign and we, for sure, never dominate there. I prefer my my kool-aid cherry flavored.

On to Bloomington. This is very, very fun!

If we have you on board, we really must be good. I'm even more confident now, which is saying a lot.

Five years of mediocrity under Tubby. I'm ready to buy in. I told my wife that we almost never win in Champaign and we, for sure, never dominate there. I prefer my my kool-aid cherry flavored.

I'm thinking this is exactly the type of team Tubby has yearned to construct here. Any one of the starters can lead us in scoring on any given night. The bench is solid (though only Welch played well tonight). Our defense is insufferable. We rebound like crazy. We disrupt like crazy. Chemistry seems superb. Complete buy-in by players. Very, very fun to watch and easy to root for.

No thanks...we don't need any bandwagon fans, but thank you for your application.

With the exception of the 2010 win, the Gophers have been terrible at Assembly Hall.

Growing up I watched the Gopher road games in Champaign on TV. I always envisioned that arena not like it was 500 miles away, but more like 5,000. The low lights, cagey and raucous crowds that sat right on top of the court, combined with a usually more physical and determined Illini opponent made those games seem like a furious foreign Davis Cup match - and not a college ball game.

It sure was fun to see the Gophers have their lead get whittled down to a bucket in the second half, then steady themselves and run the lead back to nine. The crowd lost a lot of its wind right then. Good stuff.

You don't think that that "mediocrity" was in large part a result of some very bad luck? With what item of bad luck should we start with here? The Gophers have been poised to be a team in the top half of the Big Ten now for several years; this is the first time something awful hasn't happened to them. And I'm very hopeful that it stays that way for once!

No thanks...we don't need any bandwagon fans, but thank you for your application.

I wish I were just now jumping on the bandwagon. I would have been spared a few decades of sub mediocre to mediocre basketball with the intermittent gratification of a few seasons like this one.

Definitely the best team since 1997. Probably even better than the 'coulda been' 2009-2010 team would have been with Royce, Trevor and Al.

This got an actual LOL from me. I enjoy your posts UU, but Jammer is a vet, a grizzled curmudgeonly vet, but unwaveringly a supporter of the program. We've been trading posts since the dark days of the Monson era and as he's already stated, he's been a fan a long time previous to that. He's no Johnny-come-lately.

As to the post, I was going to start a similar thread entitled, "Now It's Real", but I think jamiche captured the essence-while the non-conference wins were solid and it was nice to take down Michigan State at home, getting a win on the road versus a solid Illinois team that's already gotten nice wins vs. Ohio State, Butler, and Gonzaga. . .tonight's win was on a different level. I loved seeing all the enthusiasm on the board the past couple weeks about the climb up the polls and the NCAA projections (my goodness, when has the board been so positive? A brief comet two years ago when they took down North Carolina and West Virginia in the Puerto Rico tip-off before the wheels fell off?), but I also knew that to really be taken seriously, they needed to represent well over this three game stretch. If you want to be a national presence, you go out and get a win over a ranked opponent in conference play and that's what they did tonight.

They're wearing their big boy pants now, and the next two games. . .whew, it hasn't gotten bigger than these games coming for a long time. What a wonderful time for long-suffering Gopher fans.

This got an actual LOL from me. I enjoy your posts UU, but Jammer is a vet, a grizzled curmudgeonly vet, but unwaveringly a supporter of the program. We've been trading posts since the dark days of the Monson era and as he's already stated, he's been a fan a long time previous to that. He's no Johnny-come-lately.

As to the post, I was going to start a similar thread entitled, "Now It's Real", but I think jamiche captured the essence-while the non-conference wins were solid and it was nice to take down Michigan State at home, getting a win on the road versus a solid Illinois team that's already gotten nice wins vs. Ohio State, Butler, and Gonzaga. . .tonight's win was on a different level. I loved seeing all the enthusiasm on the board the past couple weeks about the climb up the polls and the NCAA projections (my goodness, when has the board been so positive? A brief comet two years ago when they took down North Carolina and West Virginia in the Puerto Rico tip-off before the wheels fell off?), but I also knew that to really be taken seriously, they needed to represent well over this three game stretch. If you want to be a national presence, you go out and get a win over a ranked opponent in conference play and that's what they did tonight.

They're wearing their big boy pants now, and the next two games. . .whew, it hasn't gotten bigger than these games coming for a long time. What a wonderful time for long-suffering Gopher fans.

What was so strange and so terrific last night was that after about the first five minutes I wasn't that worried because the gophers were clearly a better team. If Illinois was going to win, even on its home floor, it was going to be an upset.

I don't think that they are as good as the '97 team because of the lack of size and scoring off of the bench but the fact that we are having the conversation is pretty damn cool.

What was so strange and so terrific last night was that after about the first five minutes I wasn't that worried because the gophers were clearly a better team. If Illinois was going to win, even on its home floor, it was going to be an upset.

I don't think that they are as good as the '97 team because of the lack of size and scoring off of the bench but the fact that we are having the conversation is pretty damn cool.

People will laugh when I say this but thes gophers play alot like Tubbys 98 national title team. Solid every where and exceptional at rebounding and defending. Everyone excepts their roles. The one thing they lack is NCAA tournament experience but the NIT road run will prove to be of great value. Right now they are looking to be 3 or 2 seed. If they win the Big Ten #1 seed. If they split with Michigan and Indiana, they very well could be in the mix to win the conference if they do what they are supposed to do otherwise. It's going to be fun to watch.

Bandwaggoner here,

I'm also in. Where's Michael Bauer in last night's boxscore?

The transition offense last night was a thing of brillance. That made me a believer. It's also a cure for our relatively poor defensive rebounding. If the other team wants to crash the offensive glass, beware! I think you'll start to see teams do what NW did to a certain extent and send almost everyone back on D after the shot is fired.

I'm convinced this is our best starting 5 by a country mile since '97.

Jammer...Tubby's a liberal too. !!

Jammer...Tubby's a liberal too. !!

I dunno about that. He ran a pretty conservative iso, perimeter weave offense around here for years until he finally let Dre start doing his thing late last season. :)

Reusse, who almost everybody on this board hates but me, wrote a column a couple of weeks ago that I thought was pretty spot on and we maybe saw why he wrote it last night. The gist of what he said was that this is a pretty talented team and instead of thinking about cracking the top three or four teams of the B1G, why not just win the damn thing.

We have a long way to go and we are only one injured starter or one Mbakwe "incident" from a u turn season. (I wish that Chip Armelin was still here. His lack of discipline drove Tubby crazy but he's the spark that we don't have off of the bench.) For now, this is a helluva lot of fun and it has the potential to get even better. Reusse was on to something.

The transition offense last night was a thing of brillance. That made me a believer. It's also a cure for our relatively poor defensive rebounding. If the other team wants to crash the offensive glass, beware! I think you'll start to see teams do what NW did to a certain extent and send almost everyone back on D after the shot is fired.

I'm convinced this is our best starting 5 by a country mile since '97.

Yup. Each of them can take over a game.

Don't slam jamiche for having a wait and see attitude. Blame Monson for that and injuries and stubborness on Tubby's part early on.. I welcome all folks to the bandwagon. Plenty of room. Now, if you want to rip jamiche, how about his take that Adrian Peterson seems like he was kind of slow.. based on a few pre season games his rookie season. :)

I dunno about that. He ran a pretty conservative iso, perimeter weave offense around here for years until he finally let Dre start doing his thing late last season. :)

Reusse, who almost everybody on this board hates but me, wrote a column a couple of weeks ago that I thought was pretty spot on and we maybe saw why he wrote it last night. The gist of what he said was that this is a pretty talented team and instead of thinking about cracking the top three or four teams of the B1G, why not just win the damn thing.

We have a long way to go and we are only one injured starter or one Mbakwe "incident" from a u turn season. (I wish that Chip Armelin was still here. His lack of discipline drove Tubby crazy but he's the spark that we don't have off of the bench.) For now, this is a helluva lot of fun and it has the potential to get even better. Reusse was on to something.

I'm trying to remember, were we able to sign Buggs because Armelin left?

Talk is cheap guys. I want to see all of you that are jumping on the bandwagon at Williams Arena for every game through the end of the season. This team is fun to watch so don't miss an opportunity. Let's recreate the atmosphere from the Michigan State game for every remaining home game this year.

Talk is cheap guys. I want to see all of you that are jumping on the bandwagon at Williams Arena for every game through the end of the season. This team is fun to watch so don't miss an opportunity. Let's recreate the atmosphere from the Michigan State game for every remaining home game this year.

no tickets left.

Jamiche is not a bandwagon fan. Meanwhile, we need all the fans we can get. Many of the fans of today hopped in the bandwagon when Bill Musselman showed up and never left.

Top Bottom