Ohio State

Can you count?
If you really want to know that answer you’re going to have to do it yourself.
Just the thing I love to do most during the morning while drinking hot coffee on a day off: waste time on the internet.

I am going to change it up just a wee bit, and start from the 2005 season, since that was the start of Tressel's run of six straight conf titles.

Year - coach - overall - Big Ten - losses
2005 - Tressel - 10-2 - 7-1 - Texas, @Penn St
2006 - Tressel - 12-1 - 8-0 - Florida(bowl)
2007 - Tressel - 11-2 - 7-1 - Illinois, LSU(bowl)
2008 - Tressel - 10-3 - 7-1 - @USC, Penn St, Texas(bowl)
2009 - Tressel - 11-2 - 7-1 - USC, @Purdue
2010 - Tressel - 12-1 - 7-1 - @Wisconsin ***wins vacated because of memorabilia/tattoo scandal
2011 - Fickell - 6-7 - 3-5 - @Miami(FL), Mich St, @Nebraska, @Purdue, Penn St, Michigan, Florida(bowl) *** Tressel resigned end of May, Fickell named interim, Pryor left
2012 - Meyer - 12-0 - 8-0 - (none) *** ineligible for bowl games
2013 - Meyer - 12-2 - 8-0 - Mich St (BTCG), Clemson(bowl)
2014 - Meyer - 14-1 - 8-0 - Virginia
2015 - Meyer - 12-1 - 7-1 - Mich St
2016 - Meyer - 11-2 - 8-1 - @Penn St, Clemson(bowl)
2017 - Meyer - 12-2 - 8-1 - Oklahoma, @ Iowa
2018 - Meyer - 13-1 - 8-1 - @Purdue

(2019 - Day - 11-0 - 8-0 (so far) )

So, over the 2005-2018 seasons, excluding the obvious outlier 2011 season and including the vacated wins from 2010 (not that it matters), they've lost 9 Big Ten regular season games out of 107 games played. If you really don't want the 2010 results included, it's 8 out of 99.

They've also played in four BT champ games and lost one.

Didn't OSU get their shit packed the last time they were in a CFP game? They always look good in the regular season, but sometimes puke in big games.

The first CFP OSU barely made it in. (If the Big 12 had a CCG back then, The Big Ten would have been locked-out of the playoff.) Then they dominated both Alabama and Oregon to win the national championship.

The first CFP OSU barely made it in. (If the Big 12 had a CCG back then, The Big Ten would have been locked-out of the playoff.) Then they dominated both Alabama and Oregon to win the national championship.
Dominated Alabama? They won 42-35. If thats a dominating win, then what do you call Purdue’s 49-20 win over the Buckeyes last year?

Dominated Alabama? They won 42-35. If thats a dominating win, then what do you call Purdue’s 49-20 win over the Buckeyes last year?

Yes. Alabama got dominated. At no point was the game ever in question (if you watched it).

Not sure why you would bring up OSU/Purdue. Do you really think Purdue was a better football team than OSU last year?

OSU vs Alabama.
Alabama had a lead at half but OSU took over the 2nd half.

Fair amount of talent in that game.
TJ Yeldon, Zeke Elliott, Amari Cooper, Michael Thomas
and Devin Smith looked like the best WR in that game at that time.

Yes. Alabama got dominated. At no point was the game ever in question (if you watched it).

Not sure why you would bring up OSU/Purdue. Do you really think Purdue was a better football team than OSU last year?

the fact that Bama led at the half tends to undermine your recollection of the game as never being in question. .

Which way do you want to play it? A dominating performance by Purdue doesn’t mean they are the better team than OhSt, and as such a similar performance by OhSt against Bama doesn’t mean OhSt is better than Bama?

or would you prefer to play it the other way, where the team with dominating Performance is unquestionably the best?

There is of course a third way, which is my preference, not much can be concluded by the outcome of one game in isolation.

They sure do but that does not mean we can not beat them. Of course both teams have significant work to do before we play. We only have to be better on one day.
I don't think anyone is going to claim that there is a 0% chance of beating Ohio St.

I would say maybe more like a 5% chance.

It's either 0% or 100% that the Gophers will win. I choose 100%. ?

Just the thing I love to do most during the morning while drinking hot coffee on a day off: waste time on the internet.

I am going to change it up just a wee bit, and start from the 2005 season, since that was the start of Tressel's run of six straight conf titles.

Year - coach - overall - Big Ten - losses
2005 - Tressel - 10-2 - 7-1 - Texas, @Penn St
2006 - Tressel - 12-1 - 8-0 - Florida(bowl)
2007 - Tressel - 11-2 - 7-1 - Illinois, LSU(bowl)
2008 - Tressel - 10-3 - 7-1 - @USC, Penn St, Texas(bowl)
2009 - Tressel - 11-2 - 7-1 - USC, @Purdue
2010 - Tressel - 12-1 - 7-1 - @Wisconsin ***wins vacated because of memorabilia/tattoo scandal
2011 - Fickell - 6-7 - 3-5 - @Miami(FL), Mich St, @Nebraska, @Purdue, Penn St, Michigan, Florida(bowl) *** Tressel resigned end of May, Fickell named interim, Pryor left
2012 - Meyer - 12-0 - 8-0 - (none) *** ineligible for bowl games
2013 - Meyer - 12-2 - 8-0 - Mich St (BTCG), Clemson(bowl)
2014 - Meyer - 14-1 - 8-0 - Virginia
2015 - Meyer - 12-1 - 7-1 - Mich St
2016 - Meyer - 11-2 - 8-1 - @Penn St, Clemson(bowl)
2017 - Meyer - 12-2 - 8-1 - Oklahoma, @ Iowa
2018 - Meyer - 13-1 - 8-1 - @Purdue

(2019 - Day - 11-0 - 8-0 (so far) )

So, over the 2005-2018 seasons, excluding the obvious outlier 2011 season and including the vacated wins from 2010 (not that it matters), they've lost 9 Big Ten regular season games out of 107 games played. If you really don't want the 2010 results included, it's 8 out of 99.

They've also played in four BT champ games and lost one.
See, I like to waste time on the internet but didn’t want to do that. You just showed me that Ohio state is due for a conference loss. They lose at least one conference game most years. They haven’t lost yet.

See, I like to waste time on the internet but didn’t want to do that. You just showed me that Ohio state is due for a conference loss. They lose at least one conference game most years. They haven’t lost yet.

There is a reason most teams don’t go 13-0. It’s hard. Anything can happen in a title game.

No offense, but tOSU destroyed bama in that game. After tOSU was trailing due to self inflicted issues with Zeke fumbling at OSU's 32, and cardale throwing what was more or less a pick 6, tOSU went on to score 28 straight points before bama finally got gifted some penalties for a TD to keep them in the game. It was 42-28, and tOSU went into prevent and let Bama pound sand and burn clock. They eventually scored at the end of the game but there was no time left to do anything so it more or less just saved face for them

No offense, but tOSU destroyed bama in that game. After tOSU was trailing due to self inflicted issues with Zeke fumbling at OSU's 32, and cardale throwing what was more or less a pick 6, tOSU went on to score 28 straight points before bama finally got gifted some penalties for a TD to keep them in the game. It was 42-28, and tOSU went into prevent and let Bama pound sand and burn clock. They eventually scored at the end of the game but there was no time left to do anything so it more or less just saved face for them

I can understand how you might think that if you look at everything as being either an illustration of OhSt dominance or OhSt self inflicted wounds. You are quick to point out how a near pick six interception by Bama shouldn’t be credited to Bama dominance but rather OhSt self inflicted wound. Conversely when Bama throws a pick six it is not a Bama self inflicted wound, but evidence of OhSt’s dominance.

nice scarlet and grey colored glasses.

The score was 34-28 with 1 min left in the third quarter. the score remained that way for nearly 15 minutes of play, until 3:24 to play in the 4th quarter. Folowing that both teams scored another TD.

it was no more than a 1 score separation for all but like 2 minutes of play time in the entire second half.

That isn’t OhSt destroying Bama.

Last edited:

I can understand how you might think that if you look at everything as being either an illustration of OhSt dominance or OhSt self inflicted wounds. You are quick to point out how a near pick six interception by Bama shouldn’t be credited to Bama dominance but rather OhSt self inflicted wound. Conversely when Bama throws a pick six it is not a Bama self inflicted wound, but evidence of OhSt’s dominance.

nice scarlet and grey colored glasses.

The score was 34-28 with 1 min left in the third quarter. the score remained that way for nearly 15 minutes of play, until 3:24 to play in the 4th quarter. Folowing that both teams scored another TD.

it was no more than a 1 score separation for all but like 2 minutes of play time in the entire second half.

That isn’t OhSt destroying Bama.

ESPN seemed to agree with me after the fact. The tOSU/PSU game was close last week too, even though PSU got freighttrained.

ESPN seemed to agree with me after the fact. The tOSU/PSU game was close last week too, even though PSU got freighttrained.

Ok if you say so, but your not convincing any one other than yourself and your Buckeye friends.

Also, I like how “ESPN“ agreed with you. Not a particular a talent on ESPN, but rather the whole network. The whole network, every commentator, every color guy, every analyst, all agreed. What, did the network issue a press release out of Bristol, CT?

Btw, who was that talent that agreed with you? I would like to read their article, I will probably disagree with them, but at least they would put together a more salient argument.

Out of curiositty, what’s your description of what Purdue did to OhSt last year in their 49-20 victory?

I mean if a 7 point victory over Bama is “total domination,” and a 11 point victory over PSU is “freighttrained.” I can only imagine the description that you would use for that 29 point loss. Maybe Purdue went “nuclear“ on OhSt. Or Purdue “Jeffery Epstein’ed” OhSt.

Nah, you’re a Buckeye, you would say Purdue got “dominated,” they only won because of OhSt self inflicted wounds.

Last edited:

The Gophers dominated Purdue earlier this season, but still only won by 7 points. The score doesn’t always tell the whole story.

The Gophers dominated Purdue earlier this season, but still only won by 7 points. The score doesn’t always tell the whole story.

I don’t believe calling either performance dominating (your not dominating if you let teams back into the game, IMO), but i agree the score doesn’t tell the whole story. So let’s look at more details.

When we played Purdue we had a lead of two scores or more for a total of 36 minutes of game time, beginning with ten minutes left in the first half. Purdue started climbing back at the end and brought it to within 1 score with just under 4 min left.

in contrast, OhSt was losing at the half, and OhSt only had a 2 score lead for a total of less than 4 min in the entire game. There was about a 15 minute stretch beginning at the end of the 3rd and ending with 3 minutes in the 4th where it was a one score game. Late in the 4th, under 4 minuets left in the game, both teams scored another touchdown (about 2 min in between the two scores).

I don’t believe either are dominating, but certainly our game against Purdue is the only game of the two that even has a credible argument.

Last edited:

I don’t believe calling either performance dominating (your not dominating if you let teams back into the game, IMO), but i agree the score doesn’t tell the whole story. So let’s look at more details.

When we played Purdue we had a lead of two scores or more for a total of 36 minutes of game time, beginning with ten minutes left in the first half. Purdue started climbing back at the end and brought it to within 1 score with just under 4 min left.

in contrast, OhSt was losing at the half, and OhSt only had a 2 score lead for a total of less than 4 min in the entire game. There was about a 15 minute stretch beginning at the end of the 3rd and ending with 3 minutes in the 4th where it was a one score game. Late in the 4th, under 4 minuets left in the game, both teams scored another touchdown (about 2 min in between the two scores).

I don’t believe either are dominating, but certainly our game against Purdue is the only game of the two that even has a credible argument.

It depends on your criteria. Gophers had a 2+ yard per play advantage over Purdue. They averaged 18 yards per pass attempt. That’s pretty dominant. A couple missed tackles, resulting in extending drives, and a flukey on-side kick, while they were trying to run clock made it look closer than it was. The Penn State game was similar.

Ohio State had about a 1+ yard per play advantage over Alabama, so they did pretty much dominate play on the field more than the final score indicated, but not to the same degree, so you’re right about that.

It depends on your criteria. Gophers had a 2+ yard per play advantage over Purdue. They averaged 18 yards per pass attempt. That’s pretty dominant. A couple missed tackles, resulting in extending drives, and a flukey on-side kick, while they were trying to run clock made it look closer than it was. The Penn State game was similar.

Ohio State had about a 1+ yard per play advantage over Alabama, so they did pretty much dominate play on the field more than the final score indicated, but not to the same degree, so you’re right about that.

It deffenately depends on your criteria. Your’s is certainly a valid comparison and assessment.

Since the score of the game is the stat that decides the winner of the game, I look at the score differential above all to determine if a team wins in dominate fashion. In my opinion a dominating performance doesn’t include one where you let the other team back into the game. Further, I wouldn’t actually use the term dominating unless the victory was by more than two scores (>14pts), but that‘s just me.

The other thing I notice you did, and he did it too, is dismiss the opponent’s big plays and our team‘s missed tackles and turnovers a being “Flukey” while crediting our team‘s big plays and their team’s missed tackles and turnovers as a sign of our team‘s dominance.

My philosophy on that is give credit to the team that takes advantage of the opportunities presented. In an effort to be consistent, It‘s never a fluke or it always is. I look at it as never being a fluke.

Last edited:

Top Bottom