Official: USC hires Eric Musselman to replace Andy Enfield

This type of hire is becoming more and more prevalent. Coach tells agent that they're going to get fired, so find them a soft-landing spot for my next 5 years, until they need to do it all over again.

47-42 SEC Record and finished 9th or worse 3 of 5 years.
Who’s the last gopher coach to have that good of a conference winning percentage?

Who’s the last gopher coach to have that good of a conference winning percentage?
Jim Dutcher and Musselman....Even Clem was one game under .500 for his entire tenure.

But no worries. If Ben averages a 12-8 B1G record for the next......12 years he'll get there too.

Last edited:

He'll be available again in about four years. Not one to stay long anywhere, it appears.
I predict it is his last stop. I think that is where his wife wants to live. Musselman enjoys the bright lights. He'll attract enough NIL money that USC is in the tourney each year.

This actually gives me hope.

I don't care about year-by-year...which is totally obvious if you read my posts. I want ONE BIG RUN about every 5 years or so.

I hope Christie returns. But...

Be creative!!! Get half of a great team ready in 2-3 years...then snatch Musselman in the middle of the night from UCLA...for extra HYPE...and he/we also bring their best players to complete the team.

I predict it is his last stop. I think that is where his wife wants to live. Musselman enjoys the bright lights. He'll attract enough NIL money that USC is in the tourney each year.
I disagree. I seriously think his dream job is Minnesota. But he's patient and will arrive correct...with the most hype possible.

Well, SoCal vs Fayetteville, if they can pay cheddar to live in SoCal unfortunately so be it, sorry Howeda7 :(
The wife refused to live in Mpls weather, is one rumor I believe that went around.

SoCal weather is so much like Mpls. :sneaky:

He can't be making much more $$, if at all, so his cost of living will change...in a sort of pimple on the ass kind of way...
Cost of living much hight in southern california but u are all right great weather and big time boosters their so he will have NIL money to recruit!

Genuine question, what is with the seething hate towards Musselman from a couple of posters? I'm not super interested in him as a head coach but he's clearly a massive upgrade, what gives?

I would take Musselman in a minute although he underachieved at Arkansas relative to the talent he had.

What I don't understand is why some posters continue to think he's actually a legitimate option here. He has lived/worked in the south or on the west coast for most of the last 30 years, and that's where his wife wants to be. Arkansas and USC are better jobs with more financial support.

To hire him, the U would have to be willing to deal with his personality and the baggage that comes with that, pay him at least 2.5+ times what they are paying BJ, plus convince him to take a worse job with less financial backing, and have he/his wife live in significantly worse weather on top of that. None of this was ever going to happen.

The wife refused to live in Mpls weather, is one rumor I believe that went around.

SoCal weather is so much like Mpls. :sneaky:
As a person who HATES winter weather (and I grew up in Minn.), it's nearly impossible to imagine a scenario that would make me willing to go back and do winter again up north. 10 million a year? Well, maybe, but only for a year, then I'm back to the warm weather. No idea if that is the mindset of Musselman or his family, but is a big deal for some of us.

As a person who HATES winter weather (and I grew up in Minn.), it's nearly impossible to imagine a scenario that would make me willing to go back and do winter again up north. 10 million a year? Well, maybe, but only for a year, then I'm back to the warm weather. No idea if that is the mindset of Musselman or his family, but is a big deal for some of us.
It would have been easy money this past winter. I doubt our weather was much worse than Fayetteville. All the rain in SoCal was not a real treat either.

It would have been easy money this past winter. I doubt our weather was much worse than Fayetteville. All the rain in SoCal was not a real treat either.
For me at least, there is a HUGE difference between a rainy day and a snowy day. Not to mention the difference between a high of 45 and a high of 15. One is "this kinda sucks a little" the other is "WTF, I'm miserable and we've got three more months of this crap?!?"

For me at least, there is a HUGE difference between a rainy day and a snowy day. Not to mention the difference between a high of 45 and a high of 15. One is "this kinda sucks a little" the other is "WTF, I'm miserable and we've got three more months of this crap?!?"
I agree but this past year specifically, the Twin Cities had several winter days where the high exceeded 45, and very few when temps did not get past 15.

Obviously can't count on that, just saying if one got paid well to "suffer" through this past winter, there was very little to endure. Only 4 times was my driveway plowed out, and 2 of those were just last week. Another was in October.

I agree but this past year specifically, the Twin Cities had several winter days where the high exceeded 45, and very few when temps did not get past 15.

Obviously can't count on that, just saying if one got paid well to "suffer" through this past winter, there was very little to endure. Only 4 times was my driveway plowed out, and 2 of those were just last week. Another was in October.
Best Winter Ever!

Have you spent much time in Seattle?

As nice as this winter was, there is still a significant difference between the weather here and Fayetteville. Our average January high this year was 27, there's was 45, and they saw several days in the 50s, 60s, and even a couple in the 70s.

As nice as this winter was, there is still a significant difference between the weather here and Fayetteville. Our average January high this year was 27, there's was 45, and they saw several days in the 50s, 60s, and even a couple in the 70s.
It's in the eye of the beholder, but to me what you have just described is "not much worse". If I personally can't wear shorts but don't have to wear long undies, all the same to me (assuming the weather is not impacting travel). I can cope with a hoodie or jacket.

It also appears Fayetteville's snow total in January was more than MSP.

Apologies to others for hijacking the thread.

I posted on here before, but his wife has said she won’t go cold climates; she’s a dime, was a SC anchor at one point. I had one poster on here tell me that his wife’s views wouldn’t effect his decisions and my guess is that person is single.

I would never move back to a cold weather state, and NYC in the 25 years I’ve lived here, has gone from real winters (decent snow/temps in the 20/30s), to getting an inch this year, to break an almost two tear snow drought and temps in the 30/40s.

Top Bottom