***OFFICIAL SAINT JOHN'S AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Yes, this game will help with recruiting down the road... Hurt # 2 ? That would be huge.

That's what I was talking with friends at the game about. With another great class coming up out of Minnesota, this team might be getting momentum at the perfect time to attract them. It's great that the hometown kid is off to a great start.

When you look at being outrebounded 54-41, that was a result of SJ crashing the offensive boards. That led to about 8-9 direct baskets over the top for the Gophers. A net plus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's what I was talking with friends at the game about. With another great class coming up out of Minnesota, this team might be getting momentum at the perfect time to attract them. It's great that the hometown kid is off to a great start.

Exactly. They see we are already vastly improved, and Coffey absolutely lit it up last night. He's been very good through the first 4 games.

However, things can unravel quickly in the Big Ten portion of the schedule.

When you look at being outrebounded 54-41, that was a result of SJ crashing the offensive boards. That led to about 8-9 direct baskets over the top for the Gophers. A net plus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Never thought of that. When I caught the box score this AM I was surprised by -13 rebounds because it seemed to me when watching Minnesota was getting more rebounds at least near the end of the game when SJ was trying to make their late move.

Never thought of that. When I caught the box score this AM I was surprised by -13 rebounds because it seemed to me when watching Minnesota was getting more rebounds at least near the end of the game when SJ was trying to make their late move.
Yes, its true that their focus may have left the door open for easier baskets when they were not back on defense as needed. SJ coach stated he thinks his team helped Coffey out on his 30.
We were out rebounded by 10 in the first half, so by 3 in the second half. And definitely had some important defensive rebounds late to seal the game. 9/41 is not a bad rebound total. 17/51 is amazing.

Yes, its true that their focus may have left the door open for easier baskets when they were not back on defense as needed. SJ coach stated he thinks his team helped Coffey out on his 30.
We were out rebounded by 10 in the first half, so by 3 in the second half. And definitely had some important defensive rebounds late to seal the game. 9/41 is not a bad rebound total. 17/51 is amazing.

Reggie came up with a tough rebound with about 1:30 to go that just about sealed the game, and I muttered under my breath, "That's why you're a Gopher." We haven't seen quality defense and rebounds in late game situations in years. I can't wait to see how tough he is when he is in complete game shape.

Up and down game for the Gophers. As their defensive intensity goes, so their fortunes go. In the end, they were favored by six and won by six, so let's not get mental here. But I'm not complaining. A very entertaining game and an inspiring show for the recruits in attendance. Judging from Twitter, there's a faint buzz about this team right now.

This may be the best transition offense Gopher team since the Haskins era. Also the half-court offense looks improved.

Up and down game for the Gophers. As their defensive intensity goes, so their fortunes go. In the end, they were favored by six and won by six, so let's not get mental here. But I'm not complaining. A very entertaining game and an inspiring show for the recruits in attendance. Judging from Twitter, there's a faint buzz about this team right now.
While it's true we were favored, that's a game we lose in years past. I just hope Amir sticks around for at least 3.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Three things from the game give me hope for this season: 1) more shooters. I'm sure they will be streaky, but we have a handful of guys that give you the impression they can make 3s (not many options the past couple of years); 2) much stronger rebounding. Murphy more experienced, Lynch stronger than Konate and more patient defender (Konate is a mousetrap just waiting to snap at the first ball fake), live what Curry already brings, and will only get better. That will be a nice rotation; and 3) we have multiple guys that handle the ball well enough to attack the basket. Last year it was just Mason, with McB growing into it. Coffey had some drives to score that nobody could have finished last year. McBrayer is so much more confident. Springs, and even the big guys. All can initiate. No more tentativeness as a team. OK 4) better passing, too.

Fun game. Gives hope even though we know we'll certainly blow some games and get blown out in a couple this year. St. John's was inexperienced, but they were a talented team. Big improvement from last year when we were embarrassed by the S. Dakota teams and others.

keep er rolling. gotta get that resume strengthened in the non con because this team looks like it could be squarely on the bubble from a talent aspect, which is better than I was expecting.

Haven't seen it mentioned in this thread and should be. The head coach should get a little credit as well. I thought he pushed the right buttons with his substitutions especially with Gilbert and Hurt. Got quality minutes out of both in crucial spots. The sets he ran to get Coffey isolated on the block vs their smaller guards were terrific in the second half and was a huge key to getting the win. Great job coach!

I would love to read his brother's tweets tonight. That air ball from the corner was a thing of beauty.

I thought he was rushing things last night. I think he will settle in and make a good 6th man.

Lynch on the boards is a huge difference for this team but offensively he needs to improve.

Haven't seen it mentioned in this thread and should be. The head coach should get a little credit as well. I thought he pushed the right buttons with his substitutions especially with Gilbert and Hurt. Got quality minutes out of both in crucial spots. The sets he ran to get Coffey isolated on the block vs their smaller guards were terrific in the second half and was a huge key to getting the win. Great job coach!

Agreed. I think it started at the first timeout in the first half when we started pushing tempo.

Just looked at the box score again and we were outrebounded handily by them. Lynch helps but we need to improve greatly on that.

Just looked at the box score again and we were outrebounded handily by them. Lynch helps but we need to improve greatly on that.
I think someone else responded to this and explained the rebounding disparity and why it's not as bad as it seems.
One of the factors was the long rebounds off from missed 3s. St Johns was very quick and while their kids were lean, they were long and did a nice job of getting hands in to tap away rebounds.
What St Johns did not get were easy put backs.

It was a combination of:

A. Their guards crashing the offensive glass.
B. They missed 50 shots = more opportunities for offensive rebounds.
C. Our best rebounder only played 16 minutes.

Regarding A, someone already posted that because they were doing it, it allowed us to get the fast break points we did.

It was a combination of:

A. Their guards crashing the offensive glass.
B. They missed 50 shots = more opportunities for offensive rebounds.
C. Our best rebounder only played 16 minutes.

Regarding A, someone already posted that because they were doing it, it allowed us to get the fast break points we did.

Also worth mentioning: a 40 rebound game is pretty darn good. St John's 47 is amazing. We did get stung a bit with allowing 17 offensive rebounds. But Death Clutch is spot on: they missed 50 shots which is pretty high as well.

To give you a statistical reference: we are 5th in the country with total rebounds averaging 40ish rebounds per game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also worth mentioning: a 40 rebound game is pretty darn good. St John's 47 is amazing. We did get stung a bit with allowing 17 offensive rebounds. But Death Clutch is spot on: they missed 50 shots which is pretty high as well.

To give you a statistical reference: we are 5th in the country with total rebounds averaging 40ish rebounds per game.

Through the years I've become used to watching other B1G teams as they warm up and having them look bigger than us. This year will be a pleasant anomaly. Lynch, Curry and, even, Konate will eliminate the usual size differential. A friend whom I was with last night was talking about how it has been many years since the gophers had a real rim protector. If Lynch can stay on the floor and alter just a handful of shots a game that can make a huge difference.

Unfortunately, the killer first half of the B1G will probably take care of our irrational exuberance.

Through the years I've become used to watching other B1G teams as they warm up and having them look bigger than us.

lol I know that feeling! Especially when Izzo came to town playing the twin towers. 2 massive centers who could have been NFL linebackers.

Lynch looked tired. Needs to be in shape by Big10 play.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Through the years I've become used to watching other B1G teams as they warm up and having them look bigger than us. This year will be a pleasant anomaly. Lynch, Curry and, even, Konate will eliminate the usual size differential. A friend whom I was with last night was talking about how it has been many years since the gophers had a real rim protector. If Lynch can stay on the floor and alter just a handful of shots a game that can make a huge difference.

Unfortunately, the killer first half of the B1G will probably take care of our irrational exuberance.

I wouldn't say that. Love him or hate him Elliot Eliason was 3rd in the Big Ten in blocks per game as a Junior. Also Mbakwe, Ralph Sampson III, and Damian Johnson could protect the rim as well. I do think that Lynch could be the best shot blocker of the bunch though. He has great timing and instincts.

I wouldn't say that. Love him or hate him Elliot Eliason was 3rd in the Big Ten in blocks per game as a Junior. Also Mbakwe, Ralph Sampson III, and Damian Johnson could protect the rim as well. I do think that Lynch could be the best shot blocker of the bunch though. He has great timing and instincts.

Lol okay now Ralph Sampson is a bit of a stretch.

Lol okay now Ralph Sampson is a bit of a stretch.

Sampson was top 5 in blocks per game, during three separate seasons, in the Big Ten. He also has the 3rd most blocks in school history.

Sampson was top 5 in blocks per game, during three separate seasons, in the Big Ten. He also has the 3rd most blocks in school history.

Wow I didn't realize that at all.

Top Bottom