***OFFICIAL PURDUE AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

The Gophers are going to be phenomenal defensively next season. They will rule the paint.

They really really really need Carrington to emerge as that shooting guard sniper. Henley at wing/guard too.

This team will be good on defense but can't go far with inept shooting.

Need Carrington to develop into a sniper.

Payne battles and does some good things defensively for a freshman, but he has no offensive game yet. Henley is a hot mess. JOJ is strong. We need scorers and creators desperately.

Purdue is an impressive team. Well constructed and coached.
Henley needs to play. He has the best basketball skills on the team and shoots no worse than Battle. He actually takes better shots than Battle because he is quick enough to create space for his shot. Not many going down yet but he knows how to get a makable shot.

Let him play and get his confidence.

The Gophers are going to be phenomenal defensively next season. They will rule the paint.

They really really really need Carrington to emerge as that shooting guard sniper. Henley at wing/guard too.

This team will be good on defense but can't go far with inept shooting.

Need Carrington to develop into a sniper.
Agree…but here is the hard thing. He is shooting under 30% on wide-open treys. Snipers don’t get wide-open looks, defensive locate them and take open shots away. He will need to shoot close to 40% or better, in contested shot situations

I think you might have a sock drawer you could rearrange - go to the barn some night and actually watch the incompetence of this team -
I have. It hasn't been pretty. My whining isn't going to make it better. So, I watch and continue to hope the kids figure it out.

Any win in year 2 is good. Any loss is expected. Half their roster is D3, they have 2 D1 transfer who rarely play (most likely because they couldn’t play at their previous schools * Milwaukee and liberty) and 5 recruits who were for D1 (four of which are freshmen.

Any wins at that program are stunning. And losses there are actually justified as winning as they actually have to play and rely on their freshmen (unlike gophers). Plus, they are playing for four 2025 when they can go to NCAA tourney… which they may make sooner than the gophers
Thanks Tommie boy.

Payne has a chance to develop into a really good B1G player. He has the size and athleticism to overcome limited offensive skill.

The other frosh? It's a stretch to see them ever becoming above average B1G level players. I'm in the minority but IMO Henley has the most room to grow.

Can't see JOJ ever being an asset.
Great take on JOJ. Only guy in double figures with 13 of our 39 points. That means the other 8 guys scored 26 combined…tough to win in the Big Ten scoring 26 points.
He is clearly our toughest, most physical player. How soft would this team be without his presence?
Nice analysis you and Bfan should set up a private debate and spar.

Great take on JOJ. Only guy in double figures with 13 of our 39 points. That means the other 8 guys scored 26 combined…tough to win in the Big Ten scoring 26 points.
He is clearly our toughest, most physical player. How soft would this team be without his presence?
Nice analysis you and Bfan should set up a private debate and spar.
I think JOJ will be an asset. He is athletic and finishes at the hoop and plays hard on defense.

I don't think he'll be a starter in the future by a JYD type.

Traveling and totally missed the game. Stuck in North Carolina - should be in Virginia.

Anyhow, looks like the Gophers held them nicely under 70. So it was a good showing?

I am sorry fellow Holers but Holereader sat through that shit show that night and he is extremely frustrated with this team , it’s coach and the direction of the program. I have tried to find some glimmer of positivity but after tonight holereader is at rock bottom. Henley cannot play at this level - sorry kid but you are in way above your head and why he is getting minutes is beyond holereaders fundamental basketball acumen. Purdue had three freshman play significant minutes tonight and were poised , quick afoot and accurate shooters and passers. What frustrates and confuses holereader after seeing this is we are supposed to wait for our freshman to develop into saviors while Matt Painter already has three freshman playing at BIG level. Can someone talk holereader off the ledge - he is not sure he can sit through any further incompetent performances like this any more
Jump.

Well, even the most positive person has to admit that this game was a beat down. It was the closest thing to watching the JV play the Varsity in high school. This is a game where the coach burns the tape and moves on because there isn't anything good to review or learn from.
Hopefully, however, the kids vow never to let something like this ever happen again.
The “kids” 🙄

The “kids” have allowed something like this to happen multiple times. Don’t think they will be buying into vowing to never let it happen again.

Can someone talk holereader off the ledge - he is not sure he can sit through any further incompetent performances like this any more

Well, first of all, let me say that referring to yourself in the 3rd person is at least a little weird and maybe even a bit psychotic.

Secondly, if you really are this despondent over a bad college basketball team, well, that's just pathetic for anyone beyond the college-aged years.

But, I'll try to be empathetic here and give some positive advice. First thing to do is abandon all hope for this team this season. Sure, they might win a few more games this year but the end result shouldn't be something that fills you with visions of grandeur for next season. Given that premise, you must embrace the badness - treat the season like a real life collegiate basketball version of the Bad News Bears. Then, every now and then when you see some stretches of good play, you can smile and say to yourself: "Wow! That actually was a good sequence!"

My advice is to rent some Ed Wood movies. Start with "Bride of the Monster" and then move on to "Plan 9 from Outer Space." That should get you into the spirit of watching (and accepting) badness.

Remember, your anger, frustration, and disappointment will have absolutely no effect on the performance of the team. It will only make you feel worse.

You do realize that everyone we play has freshman vastly outperforming ours.

You do realize this, right?

Our freshman are supposed to be the reason none of this is a problem.
Wrong. Our hopes for this team were based on Battle, Garcia, and Cooper. We thought with good reason Battle and Garcia would be a top tandem in the conference.

Garcia has been modestly good on balance, Cooper has been fair, and Battle has been terrible.

The freshmen were never going to carry the load.

The “kids” 🙄

The “kids” have allowed something like this to happen multiple times. Don’t think they will be buying into vowing to never let it happen again.
Got it Debbie.

Henley needs to play. He has the best basketball skills on the team and shoots no worse than Battle. He actually takes better shots than Battle because he is quick enough to create space for his shot. Not many going down yet but he knows how to get a makable shot.

Let him play and get his confidence.
Outside of blind optimism what would possibly lead you to this conclusion?

He is shooting 36% on 2s (dreadful), 21% on 3s (very bad), has a negative ast/to ratio, and has one of the worst offensive efficiency numbers (72.9) of any player in the country.

Listen I'm sure he's a good kid and I hope he figures it out but there is nothing there logically that says he's even a competent offensive player.

Payne has a chance to develop into a really good B1G player. He has the size and athleticism to overcome limited offensive skill.

The other frosh? It's a stretch to see them ever becoming above average B1G level players. I'm in the minority but IMO Henley has the most room to grow.

Can't see JOJ ever being an asset.
You are correct that Henley has the highest upside other than Payne.

Well, this was embarrassing. On the four-letter network, no less. The narrative that this is a basketball wasteland is being established around the country, and that'll be hard to crawl out from under. At least we have a nice class coming in next year.

On the bright side, after the shaky start with too many matador non-efforts, the defense recovered to have a good game overall. That's something to build on.

Sadly, any momentum and good vibes from the Ohio State win are out of view in the rear-view mirror now. These last two efforts have been poor, even adjusting for the strength of the opponents.

He is shooting 36% on 2s (dreadful), 21% on 3s (very bad), has a negative ast/to ratio, and has one of the worst offensive efficiency numbers (72.9) of any player in the country.

Listen I'm sure he's a good kid and I hope he figures it out but there is nothing there logically that says he's even a competent offensive player.
I have no idea if he's a good kid or will learn to value the ball. What he has is good basketball athleticism and skills to create open shots, slash to the hole, and tonight he did that and slipped one of the prettiest passes you will ever see to Payne for a dunk.

We have no other guard who can penetrate. He is creating for himself better shots than Battle can get. He needs to play.

He also takes in coaching. About a month ago someone explained to him his great athleticism would be valuable on defense. Since then he has shown a lot of improvement.

The complete lack of execution is the greatest concern, I don't care what kind of talent you have if you don't execute on offense you aren't going to win. I'm not even sure what they were trying to do.

Based on what I saw today an increase in talent isn't going to make much difference.

Don’t bring hard facts to a “feels” argument! As Common Man would say…. Henley is great. His offense needs no work. His progression has been magical. (In his bit voice)

I have no idea if he's a good kid or will learn to value the ball. What he has is good basketball athleticism and skills to create open shots, slash to the hole, and tonight he did that and slipped one of the prettiest passes you will ever see to Payne for a dunk.

We have no other guard who can penetrate. He is creating for himself better shots than Battle can get. He needs to play.

He also takes in coaching. About a month ago someone explained to him his great athleticism would be valuable on defense. Since then he has shown a lot of improvement.
He creates shots because teams could care less about him. Battle is focus #1 for an opponent’s defensive game plan. I’d argue that is slightly different.

I am sorry fellow Holers but Holereader sat through that shit show that night and he is extremely frustrated with this team , it’s coach and the direction of the program. I have tried to find some glimmer of positivity but after tonight holereader is at rock bottom. Henley cannot play at this level - sorry kid but you are in way above your head and why he is getting minutes is beyond holereaders fundamental basketball acumen. Purdue had three freshman play significant minutes tonight and were poised , quick afoot and accurate shooters and passers. What frustrates and confuses holereader after seeing this is we are supposed to wait for our freshman to develop into saviors while Matt Painter already has three freshman playing at BIG level. Can someone talk holereader off the ledge - he is not sure he can sit through any further incompetent performances like this any more
We scored 39 without even trying to run a competent offense. I'm confident we will break 40 on Sunday!

The complete lack of execution is the greatest concern, I don't care what kind of talent you have if you don't execute on offense you aren't going to win. I'm not even sure what they were trying to do.

Based on what I saw today an increase in talent isn't going to make much difference.
You are 100% right, the offensive scheme is nuts. The concept of putting Payne out near the arc when he can't or won't shoot or attack of the drive is just nuts. It allows the other team to lay off of him and the rest of the guys play 4 on 5. You have Garcia who is comfy out there and can drive and shoot from range. Putting him out there and Payne on the block would make a ton of sense but we don't do it.

Traveling and totally missed the game. Stuck in North Carolina - should be in Virginia.

Anyhow, looks like the Gophers held them nicely under 70. So it was a good showing?
If you've got a spare 15 seconds, watch our made baskets from the first half. They were both spectacular.

You are 100% right, the offensive scheme is nuts. The concept of putting Payne out near the arc when he can't or won't shoot or attack of the drive is just nuts. It allows the other team to lay off of him and the rest of the guys play 4 on 5. You have Garcia who is comfy out there and can drive and shoot from range. Putting him out there and Payne on the block would make a ton of sense but we don't do it.
But the coaching will improve anytime now, right?

But the coaching will improve anytime now, right?
During the last 5 games of this season and then again in 2025- we are told will be wonderful times here. The plan is coming together!

The lack of execution is a result of one starting guard being physically unable to do more than pass the ball on the perimeter. The second guard can attempt to pressure the defense but is not gifted to a level that he can do much. Third, we are playing a guy at high post who cannot do anything with the ball other than hand it back to someone further from the basket.

When Battle is healthy he would be better at high post than Payne. He can hit 12-15 foot jumpers which would draw defenses out and give Payne more room to get the ball down low, the only place he can score.

Well, first of all, let me say that referring to yourself in the 3rd person is at least a little weird and maybe even a bit psychotic.

Secondly, if you really are this despondent over a bad college basketball team, well, that's just pathetic for anyone beyond the college-aged years.

But, I'll try to be empathetic here and give some positive advice. First thing to do is abandon all hope for this team this season. Sure, they might win a few more games this year but the end result shouldn't be something that fills you with visions of grandeur for next season. Given that premise, you must embrace the badness - treat the season like a real life collegiate basketball version of the Bad News Bears. Then, every now and then when you see some stretches of good play, you can smile and say to yourself: "Wow! That actually was a good sequence!"

My advice is to rent some Ed Wood movies. Start with "Bride of the Monster" and then move on to "Plan 9 from Outer Space." That should get you into the spirit of watching (and accepting) badness.

Remember, your anger, frustration, and disappointment will have absolutely no effect on the performance of the team. It will only make you feel worse.
Holereader appreciates your response. Unfortunately holereader is unfamiliar with the cinematic works of Mr.Woods. He will therefore continue to sooth his psychotic persona with Summits at Sterbs. Holereader does appreciate your astute recognition of the grammatical presentation in the third person. So as one assesses the current state of affairs (in all fairness as they currently exist in 2023) would you join holereader in assessing the situation in the first person plural “we suck” or shall we separate ourselves from the situation and use the third person plural “they suck”? Asking for a friend

Top Bottom