***OFFICIAL NORTHWESTERN AT MINNESOTA SENIOR DAY IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Final from the Bank: Minnesota 29, Northwestern 12. #Gophers have now won 8 games in 3 of 4 years for the first time in over 100 years.

Matt Jessen-Howard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta give Claeys and coaches credit for winning that game handily. Don't know how motivated NW was compared to MN. Impressive win nonetheless. Team played extremely hard. Credit to coaches and players.

I am happy the Gophers won! But it does not mean Claeys should stay. A win over Northwestern is not a game you make that decision on. Lose by more than two scores next week and lose the bowl game and Claeys should still go. This is not hatred for the man.

Hope this win means an attractive bowl location. Hats off to the seniors on their last TCF game.

Obviously none of us knows how it will play out but I think this game may very well be enough to keep Claeys around unless Coyle feels like he has a home run hire he knows he can get.

As for the game, the defense was unreal all game, far and away the best they have played all season. The offense was pedestrian for 3 quarters but came up big in the 4th to seal the deal. Northwestern has been playing good after a slow start to the season, so definitely a quality win over a good Big Ten team. Going to take another effort just like this one from the defense next week to beat Wisconsin and the offense will have to capitalize better then it did today for us to have a shot.

Yet another targeting call is one of the few negatives in what was otherwise a very good all around game. That defense was a lot of fun to watch today as those guys were flying around all over the field.

I am happy the Gophers won! But it does not mean Claeys should stay. A win over Northwestern is not a game you make that decision on. Lose by more than two scores next week and lose the bowl game and Claeys should still go. This is not hatred for the man.

Hope this win means an attractive bowl location. Hats off to the seniors on their last TCF game.
No chance you fire a coach who has 8 wins in his first year as a head coach.
People gotta give up their haterating. [emoji41]

claeys would have to really **** the bed vs wisconsin to get canned guys like 21 pts+ on the margin imo

i for one am cool with him stayin and seeing what his new hires can do with this team we are young and should be really good i like a lot of our young athletic MN native linebackers too

Final from the Bank: Minnesota 29, Northwestern 12. #Gophers have now won 8 games in 3 of 4 years for the first time in over 100 years.

Matt Jessen-Howard

This was a good year and I am very happy. But this stat is a bit misleading.

Teams before 1942 would have had to have been undefeated. They played 7 (until 1923) and 8 games in that era.

They played 9 games from 1942 to 1959
...10 gamers per year from 1960 to 1970
...11 games per year from 1971 to 1984
...12 games per year since 1984

And with more and more bowl games, it's easier to have 13 chances to win 8 games.

Yearly winning percentage is a better metric.

Go Gophers. Awesome year so far. Let's get the axe.

give Claeys a minimum of 2 years extension especially if you can do it with your buyout being low..

No chance you fire a coach who has 8 wins in his first year as a head coach.
People gotta give up their haterating. [emoji41]

I'm so sick of the Claeys firing talk because it doesn't matter until the season is over.

Even though the 8 wins looks nice on paper, he still hasn't beaten a team that will finish the regular season with a winning record.

This was a good year and I am very happy. But this stat is a bit misleading.

Teams before 1942 would have had to have been undefeated. They played 7 (until 1923) and 8 games in that era.

They played 9 games from 1942 to 1959
...10 gamers per year from 1960 to 1970
...11 games per year from 1971 to 1984
...12 games per year since 1984

And with more and more bowl games, it's easier to have 13 chances to win 8 games.

Yearly winning percentage is a better metric.

Go Gophers. Awesome year so far. Let's get the axe.

This is very true. You also have to account for "easy" nonconference games which weren't the norm for most of our history.

That being said, a .750 winning percentage in 3 out of 4 seasons was also accomplished in '60 - 63 and a bunch of times from about '28 - '41. Before that, it was in the teens (around '16 - '18). So one other time since 1941 -- around 75 years. I'd still call that very real progress for the program. Let's keep this baby moving forward!

If they don't pay him a kings ransom, reasonable buyout I'm on board. Don't do a ****ing Pitino deal.

I'm so sick of the Claeys firing talk because it doesn't matter until the season is over.

Even though the 8 wins looks nice on paper, he still hasn't beaten a team that will finish the regular season with a winning record.
Very few people care. 8 wins is 8 wins. Do you prefer 4 wins with two against teams with a winning record?
Claeys is only despised by those who unrealistically think we're Michigan.

This is very true. You also have to account for "easy" nonconference games which weren't the norm for most of our history.

That being said, a .750 winning percentage in 3 out of 4 seasons was also accomplished in '60 - 63 and a bunch of times from about '28 - '41. Before that, it was in the teens (around '16 - '18). So one other time since 1941 -- around 75 years. I'd still call that very real progress for the program. Let's keep this baby moving forward!

Thanks for doing the math. I feel like I stand someone corrected. Good/great progress is being made. We are no longer bottom dwellers. We are no longer an easy win. We can win any game. Now we just have to go out and win some games we aren't supposed to win.

This was Claeys second upset (Maryland).

Very few people care. 8 wins is 8 wins. Do you prefer 4 wins with two against teams with a winning record?

Judging by the half empty TCF Bank stadium today, people are not that impressed by beating .500 or lower teams.

Judging by the half empty TCF Bank stadium today, people are not that impressed by beating .500 or lower teams.
That is just folks who didn't want to sit out in the cold on aluminium benches. Deer hunters were thrilled with the snowfall for better tracking. Gophers need a dome. [emoji41]

If it included the skunks and hog-eyes, probably yes.

Obviously none of us knows how it will play out but I think this game may very well be enough to keep Claeys around unless Coyle feels like he has a home run hire he knows he can get.

As for the game, the defense was unreal all game, far and away the best they have played all season. The offense was pedestrian for 3 quarters but came up big in the 4th to seal the deal. Northwestern has been playing good after a slow start to the season, so definitely a quality win over a good Big Ten team. Going to take another effort just like this one from the defense next week to beat Wisconsin and the offense will have to capitalize better then it did today for us to have a shot.

Yet another targeting call is one of the few negatives in what was otherwise a very good all around game. That defense was a lot of fun to watch today as those guys were flying around all over the field.

I respect your post but I think it's inaccurate to call a win over Northwestern a quality win, or to say we beat a good B1G program. NW is mediocre at best.

It was nice to win today but we should be honest with our appraisal of the opponents we face.

Pretty rare to fire a coach after a bowl game. Look how it turned out last time. I don't think any good AD does that. Competent AD's make that decision after the last game of the regular season (or sooner). Claeys is going to stay unless they get blown out or are non competitive next week, and then it's still dicey. He deserves to stay unless he gets beat by 20 plus and is never really in the game imo. Or if we get beat by 15 plus after a meaningless score by us, something like that. Tough to fire a coach at Minnesota with an 8 win season.

I respect your post but I think it's inaccurate to call a win over Northwestern a quality win, or to say we beat a good B1G program. NW is mediocre at best.

It was nice to win today but we should be honest with our appraisal of the opponents we face.

If GH has taught me anything it is that every team we have ever beat either wasn't very good and/or had some rare situation that allowed us to get lucky with a win.

If GH has taught me anything it is that every team we have ever beat either wasn't very good and/or had some rare situation that allowed us to get lucky with a win.

Is that not true this year?

Will we ever learn?!?

Here's a news flash: "Gophers Still Mediocre After 50 Years."

And maybe a little more honest on who you wanted to see win? ;)

Not a Claeys fan. However, he should not be fired. I think the final two (possibly three) games will determine whether he gets an extension or how long an extension he gets.

I would say jNU was playing good football previous to this game. Now apparently they sucked.

I wouldn't say they suck, and I think they are our best win to date.

But they are also 5-6 and lost to FCS Illinois St at home earlier this year.

And maybe a little more honest on who you wanted to see win? ;)

I cheer for the Gophers. I do not think Claeys is a good coach. I do not think he should be immediately fired. I agree the last two games should be considered. It would be wonderful to beat Wisconsin but it is extremely unlikely. If we lose to WI by more than two scores and lose the bowl game it would be fair to fire him and I would argue we should. It would be fair to argue we should not.

There is a lot of unfair extrapolation of posts that entail any criticism. I will sing the rouser until I'm hoarse but I will also speak candidly about my opinion as a fan. Nice to win today.

I wouldn't say they suck, and I think they are our best win to date.

But they are also 5-6 and lost to FCS Illinois St at home earlier this year.

Yeah, it's been a very weird season for NW hasn't it?

- Lose to WMU, which admittedly doesn't look so bad now.
- Lose to ISU which still does look awful.
- Beat Duke by 11
- Lose to NE by 11
- Beat IA in Iowa City
- Beat MSU by 14 in East Lansing
- Beat Indy by 10
- Lose to tOSU in Columbus by 4
- Lose to WI 21-7
- Beat Purdue by 28
- Lose to Minnesota Golden Gophers by 17

Wonder how bookies can even place a number of them?

Northwestern is a good team, not a great team but they are a well coached quality team. The 7 wins we had prior to today have been against some really bad teams, this was far and away the best win of the season in terms of quality of opponent.

Not a signature win or a program changer or anything like that but it was an impressive performance, especially by the defense, against another team that is solidly in the middle of the pack conference wise like we are. It 100% was a quality win especially when you compare it up against our other wins.

I was right there with others pointing out the wins over the likes of Maryland, Illinois, Purdue, and Rutgers were nothing to get overly excited about this year but Northwestern is a definite cut above all those teams.

Northwestern is a good team, not a great team but they are a well coached quality team. The 7 wins we had prior to today have been against some really bad teams, this was far and away the best win of the season in terms of quality of opponent.

Not a signature win or a program changer or anything like that but it was an impressive performance, especially by the defense, against another team that is solidly in the middle of the pack conference wise like we are. It 100% was a quality win especially when you compare it up against our other wins.

I was right there with others pointing out the wins over the likes of Maryland, Illinois, Purdue, and Rutgers were nothing to get overly excited about this year but Northwestern is a definite cut above all those teams.

This is a really good way to put it. Agree entirely.

I cheer for the Gophers. I do not think Claeys is a good coach. I do not think he should be immediately fired. I agree the last two games should be considered. It would be wonderful to beat Wisconsin but it is extremely unlikely. If we lose to WI by more than two scores and lose the bowl game it would be fair to fire him and I would argue we should. It would be fair to argue we should not.

There is a lot of unfair extrapolation of posts that entail any criticism. I will sing the rouser until I'm hoarse but I will also speak candidly about my opinion as a fan. Nice to win today.

"a win over Northwestern a quality win, or to say we beat a good B1G program. NW is mediocre at best.

It was nice to win today but we should be honest with our appraisal of the opponents we face."

We didn't get back from the game until after 7:00. That means that I haven't read a whole bunch of posts on the game or Northwestern. Unless there were quite a few posts proclaiming what a great team NW was, or even how very good they were, then how can your post come off as anything but setting-up a straw man argument?

Respectfully submitted, not much difference in being disingenuous and being upset that they won because it delays the firing of Claeys. You can make a solid argument that Claeys may not be a good long term hire for the Gophers.

There is no argument at all for people thinking that the Gopher win today was equal to knocking-off tOSU or getting a Rose Bowl bid.

Wouldn't want you to unfairly extrapolate that comparison either. :eek:

Top Bottom