***OFFICIAL NFL DRAFT WEEKEND THREAD - HOW MANY GOPHERS WILL GET DRAFTED!!!***

I think so too. While there's close to zero chance of becoming a featured back due to speed limitations.....I definitely think there's a role that Mo can carve out. He's the kind of player that is going to do whatever the coaches ask of him.

Right. He may be able to earn a nice paycheck as a role player. He can come in at the goal line and maintain the win late in the game. No featured running back plays every down, so roles exist for 5% of the snaps. And if he can catch the ball like we think he can...

2023 NFL Draft: B1G enjoys historic showing in first round​

Keith Farner
The B1G stood toe to toe with the SEC on Thursday night, and it was a tie with the NFL Draft picks by conference in the first round in Kansas City.
Alabama, Georgia and Ohio State led the way in picks by college team, with 3 players apiece picked in the first round while Iowa and Clemson each also had 2 players picked.
The 9 first-round picks for the B1G tied the conference mark set in 1995.
The breakdown that year was 3 Penn State players (Ki-Jana Carter, Kerry Collins and Kyle Brady), 3 Ohio State players (Joey Galloway, Korey Stringer and Craig Powell) and 3 Michigan players (Tyrone Wheatley, Ty Law and Trezelle Jenkins).
Picks by conference and team:
Big Ten (9)
Ohio State — 3
Iowa — 2
Michigan — 1
Illinois — 1
Maryland — 1
Northwestern — 1
SEC — 9
Big 12 — 6
ACC — 4
Pac-12 — 3

Plus UCLA and USC will be joining the Big Ten the season after this next. Usually they produce high round talents. This year only 1 first round and 2 second round players came from those schools.

If Ibrahim really wanted an NFL career he would have left after his Achilles tendon healed, hired an agent who would have paid for trainers, and then showed up at the player previews, healed, fit, having learned how to catch passes, and less wear and tear.
Morgan has as much of a chance of being hired by an NFL team as I do being made Pope of Rome.
Taking a year off after an Achilles injury would not have helped his draft stock. He would have still been a small power back with a ton of mileage on his wheels, but he would have been one who hadn't proven he could make it through a season.

Coming back proved he was healthy.

Sorry if I missed it...did Terrell Smith get drafted?

Right. He may be able to earn a nice paycheck as a role player. He can come in at the goal line and maintain the win late in the game. No featured running back plays every down, so roles exist for 5% of the snaps. And if he can catch the ball like we think he can...
LeRoy Hoard +.

Hope in the next day or two to here that Filiaga and Rush get UDFA deals. Thought Filiaga had a chance to be drafted. Hard to believe he won’t get UDFA deal,

Tanner is coming into my hood!

Well, let’s see how he does in training-camp and preseason games.

Let’s see if he has what it takes to make it on the 53-man roster.

LeRoy Hoard +.
LeRoy Hoard: "If you need three yards, I'll get you four. If you need five yards, I'll get your four." LOL. He hustled and could catch the ball where *blam* he would whack the guy trying to get him. His forearms were short so he sometimes fumbled.

Last edited:

Any word on whether MSM gets a landing place? {Edit: Informed he signed with SF}

Last edited:

Mo got $100K guaranteed. Adrian Martinez, also undrafted, was signed by Detroit, too.

Interesting.

7th round picks this year earn a guaranteed bonus of between $117,140 and $77,777. So Mo got more than the lowest 7th round picks. Players drafted late, I believe, also receive standard four year contracts that have preset amounts but wouldn't be guaranteed for future year salary amounts.

I thought I read somewhere that all players are guaranteed $750,000. I'm not entirely sure how this works.

Interesting.

7th round picks this year earn a guaranteed bonus of between $117,140 and $77,777. So Mo got more than the lowest 7th round picks. Players drafted late, I believe, also receive standard four year contracts that have preset amounts but wouldn't be guaranteed for future year salary amounts.

I thought I read somewhere that all players are guaranteed $750,000. I'm not entirely sure how this works.
There are two things: signing bonus and guaranteed salary. Don’t know how it washes out in7th round, though …

Last edited:

I don't know how authoritative this is but is says this:

The current Collective Bargaining Agreement requires that contracts for undrafted free agents have a $750,000 base salary in 2023.

Signing bonuses and guaranteed money will drastically shift between players and teams. Franchises only have a certain total amount of money that they can pull from to use for signing bonuses for UDFAs. The number is determined based on the team’s total budgeted allotment for rookies, and last year ranged between $160,000 and $200,000, depending on the team. Teams can give as much or as little of their pool to a single player, but they only have the budgeted allotment.

UDFA contracts are for three years, which is a year less than the four-year deals draft picks sign. There will be some guaranteed money in the signing bonus or base salary, but it is lower than that of draft picks. Just because a player wasn’t drafted doesn’t mean they can’t have an impactful NFL career. La’el Collins, Wes Welker, Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, Antonio Gates and Adam Vinatieri are considered the most famous UDFAs in NFL history.

Spoke with a friend of a friend in the Vikings front office, and talk on Mo was pass blocking, not whether or not he can help out on special teams. Not every fringe player is expected to be worthy of a spot by filling in on special teams.

Take it for what it’s worth.

The fact that Mo wasn’t a STs guy (why would he be?) also counted against him, I suspect, in the 6th and 7th rounds, where versatile athleticism is a benefit. I hope he gets an UDFA deal. He could help some teams. (Just heard he did!)
Heck of a college player. I believe he was 24 this past season. His numbers were certainly aided by his age playing against 19 year olds. Tough as nails.

The draft went as I expected except Howden going as high as he did. I think Mo landing with the Lions is a good spot for him. Will definitely have a chance to make a roster this fall.

Good luck to all the players chasing NFL dreams!

Spoke with a friend of a friend in the Vikings front office, and talk on Mo was pass blocking, not whether or not he can help out on special teams. Not every fringe player is expected to be worthy of a spot by filling in on special teams.

Take it for what it’s worth.
More confirmation of wingspan being the concern.

If Ibrahim really wanted an NFL career he would have left after his Achilles tendon healed, hired an agent who would have paid for trainers, and then showed up at the player previews, healed, fit, having learned how to catch passes, and less wear and tear.
Morgan has as much of a chance of being hired by an NFL team as I do being made Pope of Rome.
Since Tanner Morgan is now signed with Pittsburgh, I will be calling you His Holiness Plato I

Since Tanner Morgan is now signed with Pittsburgh, I will be calling you His Holiness Plato I
Never understood the handful of posters saying Morgan had no shot of even getting an NFL look.

He may never be a starter in the league but he was always going to at least get an UDFA look. I had zero doubt of any kind about that.

Oops. You posted this right after Morgan was hired by an NFL team. I guess you're the Pope now.

Never understood the handful of posters saying Morgan had no shot of even getting an NFL look.

He may never be a starter in the league but he was always going to at least get an UDFA look. I had zero doubt of any kind about that.
Morgan can be a back-up QB and an assistant offensive coach, all for the price of a UDFA contract.

I don't know how authoritative this is but is says this:

The current Collective Bargaining Agreement requires that contracts for undrafted free agents have a $750,000 base salary in 2023.

Signing bonuses and guaranteed money will drastically shift between players and teams. Franchises only have a certain total amount of money that they can pull from to use for signing bonuses for UDFAs. The number is determined based on the team’s total budgeted allotment for rookies, and last year ranged between $160,000 and $200,000, depending on the team. Teams can give as much or as little of their pool to a single player, but they only have the budgeted allotment.

UDFA contracts are for three years, which is a year less than the four-year deals draft picks sign. There will be some guaranteed money in the signing bonus or base salary, but it is lower than that of draft picks. Just because a player wasn’t drafted doesn’t mean they can’t have an impactful NFL career. La’el Collins, Wes Welker, Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, Antonio Gates and Adam Vinatieri are considered the most famous UDFAs in NFL history.

I assume the $750K minimum applies only if they make the team or practice squad. If you don't make the team, you get your signing bonus plus guaranteed amount of contract?

Top Bottom