***OFFICIAL NFL DRAFT WEEKEND THREAD - HOW MANY GOPHERS WILL GET DRAFTED!!!***

Are Illinois RB Chase Brown and Northwestern RB Evan Hull better than Mo Ibrahim?
They both have a better chance of being successful in the NFL. Both faster and both better at catching the ball out of the backfield.

Are Illinois RB Chase Brown and Northwestern RB Evan Hull better than Mo Ibrahim?
It's the difference between college and the pros. Brown is quicker than Mo and Hull is quicker and more multi-dimensional. Northwestern has had as many (maybe more, haven't looked that closely) guys drafted as the Gophers and they were just a miserable team.

I guess I don't know how good Mo could be taking passes out of the backfield because we never did that. He was excellent at picking up blitzes.

Still hoping we can trade Cook for a last second draft pick vs just cutting him after the draft

Both got drafted. Both have shown they can catch the ball--we didn't throw to Mo. Both are probably faster than Mo. Better overall? I'd take Mo for the college game--but the Pro game is different. Don't run the ball play, after play after play. Much more diversified offenses.

Vikings 7th rounder, a RB from USB, got a rating of 6.19. Mo rated 6.16. Since few RBs are taken, it’s hard to shine.

One time Gopher Commit S Gervarrius Owens who ended up at K-State then Houston taken in the 7th round by the New York Giants.

Both got drafted. Both have shown they can catch the ball--we didn't throw to Mo. Both are probably faster than Mo. Better overall? I'd take Mo for the college game--but the Pro game is different. Don't run the ball play, after play after play. Much more diversified offenses.
Plus Mo is small, slow and has a lot of mileage on the tires. Great college RB though

I feel bad for Mo Ibrahim because he was such a good Big Ten running backs. A few thoughts:

In the past several years the Vikings have had several undrafted or low drafted running backs in training camp who looked good but didn't make the team and weren't picked up by anyone. What a shame. Good running backs are plentiful.

The modern NFL is pass oriented. And fast.

His prospect profile shows why NFL coaches maybe passed on using a draft pick:

Vikings take a RB from UAB instead

He fell to the Vikings in the 7th. Draft rankings that aren't always accurate.

At that round teams are looking for special teams guys. Running backs are good for special teams because they are fast to run down field and can move well.

I feel bad for Mo Ibrahim because he was such a good Big Ten running backs. A few thoughts:

In the past several years the Vikings have had several undrafted or low drafted running backs in training camp who looked good but didn't make the team and weren't picked up by anyone. What a shame. Good running backs are plentiful.

Mo has signed with the Lions
TM has signed with the Steelers.

The fact that Mo wasn’t a STs guy (why would he be?) also counted against him, I suspect, in the 6th and 7th rounds, where versatile athleticism is a benefit. I hope he gets an UDFA deal. He could help some teams. (Just heard he did!)

Last edited:

If Ibrahim really wanted an NFL career he would have left after his Achilles tendon healed, hired an agent who would have paid for trainers, and then showed up at the player previews, healed, fit, having learned how to catch passes, and less wear and tear.
Morgan has as much of a chance of being hired by an NFL team as I do being made Pope of Rome.

Ibrahim appears to be a one-dimensional guy, but it's also important to remember that he wasn't asked to do much besides be a one-dimensional guy in Fleck's offense. That, and being hurt and not getting to show too much at the combine and his pro day, probably kept him from being drafted. He is going to be a "fit" guy who may find a defined role with an NFL team. Lord knows he doesn't back down in the scrum and he's a devastating blocker. We simply don't know if he can catch the ball because he was never asked to do that. Good luck to him and Tanner (and I'm guessing Rush will get a shot as well).

Barring injury, Mo will land a roster spot with Detroit. He's too hard a worker to not, and they need rbs.

I wish for pro success for Tanner, but I'd like him to be carrying a clipboard here sooner than later based on what PJ has said about him.

Barring injury, Mo will land a roster spot with Detroit. He's too hard a worker to not, and they need rbs.

I wish for pro success for Tanner, but I'd like him to be carrying a clipboard here sooner than later based on what PJ has said about him.

I think so too. While there's close to zero chance of becoming a featured back due to speed limitations.....I definitely think there's a role that Mo can carve out. He's the kind of player that is going to do whatever the coaches ask of him.

He seems like the type of player/attitude/work ethic Dan Campbell salivates over.

In somewhat former Gopher news, Benny Sapp III signs with the Packers.

Top Bottom