***OFFICIAL NFL DRAFT WEEKEND THREAD - HOW MANY GOPHERS WILL GET DRAFTED!!!***

UDFAs have a shot--some as good or better than 7th round draft choices. In 1970, the year I strode off to college, the NFL draft went 17 rounds, with much less talent than there is in college football today. Today's UDFA's are essentially the 8th and 9th round draft choices of yesteryear.

PJ has us to a point where almost every starter who is draft eligible or declared gets an UDFA shot if not drafted. Basically 8 and 9th round draft choices. This reflects PJ's recruiting, I believe.

Any word on whether Ruschmeyer has a UDFA deal?

I assume the $750K minimum applies only if they make the team or practice squad. If you don't make the team, you get your signing bonus plus guaranteed amount of contract?

That sounds like the right conclusion.

I know that pay is divided between a guaranteed bonus and then pay that is earned during the season. You don't get the season pay if you don't make the team.

An interesting twist is how the cap is counted. For higher round players and veterans I believe the bonus cap hit is spread over the life of the contract. So a $1million bonus on a five year deal is spread $200,000 each of those years. One way to manipulate the cap is to tack on bogus years at the end just to push the cap hit into future pretend years. We see this all the time. And that can be used to hype the contract that pays $1 billion in the last (fake) year to hype up the value of the contract.

With these undrafted and lower round guys it looks like the bonus goes entirely into that first year. It's assumed they may not last past the first year so the bonus does not get spread out among the four year contract that is not guaranteed each of those years except for the bonus.

UDFAs have a shot--some as good or better than 7th round draft choices. In 1970, the year I strode off to college, the NFL draft went 17 rounds, with much less talent than there is in college football today. Today's UDFA's are essentially the 8th and 9th round draft choices of yesteryear.

PJ has us to a point where almost every starter who is draft eligible or declared gets an UDFA shot if not drafted. Basically 8 and 9th round draft choices. This reflects PJ's recruiting, I believe.

Any word on whether Ruschmeyer has a UDFA deal?

QB Brad Johnson of the Vikings who was Pro Bowl and won a Super Bowl with Tampa was an 11th round pick. That would be UDFA under the new 7 round draft rules. Longshots do make it from time to time.

Viking DT John Randle Hall of Famer is another.

Unlikely but does happen.

QB Brad Johnson of the Vikings who was Pro Bowl and won a Super Bowl with Tampa was an 11th round pick. That would be UDFA under the new 7 round draft rules. Longshots do make it from time to time.

Viking DT John Randle Hall of Famer is another.

Unlikely but does happen.
Yes, it does happen. UDFA are probably the 8th through 15th rounds of the draft, just thrown open to bidding. All of today's UDFAs would have been drafted under the NFL's old 16 or 17 round draft.

I assume the $750K minimum applies only if they make the team or practice squad. If you don't make the team, you get your signing bonus plus guaranteed amount of contract?
Paid weekly. Practice squad members are paid substantially less. Depends on roster status.

Really the move would be for someone like Mo or Rush to get the money, get cut by that team and sign elsewhere to the practice squad (or regular roster) so they get the guarantee + the salary.

Top Bottom