***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS QUINNIPIAC NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHP IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Stan

Reaction score
WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW....WE PLAYING FOR A NATTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great moments are born from great opportunity. And that's what you have here, tonight, boys. That's what you've earned here tonight. One game.

GET 'ER DONE MOTZKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WIN A FN' NATTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Minnesota Gophers are favored by 1.5 points. I'm not yet sure what to think of this game.

Quinnipiac is a "different team," using neutral zone trap defense that has greatly suppressed opposition scoring plus good stick poking. I think opponents have been held to about half the typical scoring.

Quinnipiac also is one of the better offense teams.

In a couple polls Minnesota is #1 and Quinnipiac is #2.

The different Quinnipiac defense makes this a different kind of game.

Not sure how to best deal with the neutral zone trap. Maybe skate sideways and pass back and over and bring more attackers in away from the first player trapped? Simply use speed and burn them? Dump and chase?

In basketball, you want to pass out of the press right away. You do not want to become trapped. Move the ball away. Someone is open someplace else. Ball movement away form the trap is the key.

If someone can explain how Gophers should best play this game, please offer some clues.

Gophers will still get attacks and full offense set up much of the time, so I hope they score and score.

Need to make those shots count. Gophers have the speed, power, shooting ability, and defense to smother Quinnipiac. Just need to avoid mishaps of getting trapped in that Quinnipiac defense that can turn and strike back too.

I'm still absorbing this unexpected opponent. I thought it would be Michigan.

I think Michigan failed on the goaltending and defense side of things. Michigan could have won even if Quinnipiac keeps the scoring down.

Minnesota defense will also need to keep the scoring down.

And maybe Minnesota simply counters by also playing shut down defense against Quinnipiac and then winning a lower scoring game. Minnesota late in the Boston game switched to that defense.

Minnesota does not want to be on the wrong side of a low scoring game.

Last edited:

Various articles:

This was a good article about Quinnipiac:

I believe that the trap was the main reason Gopher coaches kept the big ice for so long. The trap is the first way to slow speedy teams and make average skaters compete.

Wouldn’t put it past “the host school” to heat up the ice a little to slow down the game.

Go Gophers!!!

Minnesota Gophers are favored by 1.5 points. I'm not yet sure what to think of this game.

Quinnipiac is a "different team," using neutral zone trap defense that has greatly suppressed opposition scoring plus good stick poking. I think opponents have been held to about half the typical scoring.

Quinnipiac also is one of the better offense teams.

In a couple polls Minnesota is #1 and Quinnipiac is #2.

The different Quinnipiac defense makes this a different kind of game.

Not sure how to best deal with the neutral zone trap. Maybe skate sideways and pass back and over and bring more attackers in away from the first player trapped? Simply use speed and burn them? Dump and chase?

In basketball, you want to pass out of the press right away. You do not want to become trapped. Move the ball away. Someone is open someplace else. Ball movement away form the trap is the key.

If someone can explain how Gophers should best play this game, please offer some clues.

Gophers will still get attacks and full offense set up much of the time, so I hope they score and score.

Need to make those shots count. Gophers have the speed, power, shooting ability, and defense to smother Quinnipiac. Just need to avoid mishaps of getting trapped in that Quinnipiac defense that can turn and strike back too.

I'm still absorbing this unexpected opponent. I thought it would be Michigan.

I think Michigan failed on the goaltending and defense side of things. Michigan could have won even if Quinnipiac keeps the scoring down.

Minnesota defense will also need to keep the scoring down.

And maybe Minnesota simply counters by also playing shut down defense against Quinnipiac and then winning a lower scoring game. Minnesota late in the Boston game switched to that defense.

Minnesota does not want to be on the wrong side of a low scoring game.
1.5 "points".

Heh.

Should be a great game between two really good teams. Here's hoping the guys can bring the title home!

Gophers really need to control the puck and have a good defensive fore check.

Michigan gave up way too many odd man rushes as they sold out to try to score.

Gophers really need to control the puck and have a good defensive fore check.

Michigan gave up way too many odd man rushes as they sold out to try to score.
Defensive fore check?

This Saturday is what our Gophers have been waiting for and playing for all season. All their goals and dreams are 60minutes away Saturday. Give their best and complete 60 minutes and the National Championship comes home to Minnesota!

Whipping Michigan got their attention. With that said, they know they can beat Quinnipiac with their A game!
Go Gophers! Make it six!!!!!!

This Saturday is what our Gophers have been waiting for and playing for all season. All their goals and dreams are 60minutes away Saturday. Give their best and complete 60 minutes and the National Championship comes home to Minnesota!

Whipping Michigan got their attention. With that said, they know they can beat Quinnipiac with their A game!
Go Gophers! Make it six!!!!!!
It’s why Knies and others came back when they could be making good money in the NHL. I’m always worried, but it would be great to see. I remember the misery that was Harvard at the Civic Center in the late 80s. Still post traumatic stress.

Getting those goals from LM was nice, but in this game the seniors are gonna show up. Guys like Nelson, Brodz and Johnson I'll even throw in Faber gotta leave it all on the line if they want to go out as winners.

Getting an early lead and staying out of the box will be big keys in this game. If we can play from ahead it will force Q to take more chances and we should be able to counter that to get chances of our own. If we play like we did against Boston, there is a good chance for a W for the good guys.

Beat the trap. Get the puck deep and go win some puck battles and manufacture goals. The way QU beats us is if we try to dipsy doodle around the trap, get frustrated, force it a bit, make a bad decision, and get burned on a counter attack. The trap is similar to the triple option offense in football. A less skilled team tries to neutralize a talent disparity and make the game about who is able to stay disciplined, execute fundamentals, make good decisions, and avoid sloppy or lazy plays. It's beatable as long as we pay attention and everyone does their job. It's when the outside linebacker gets wide-eyed because he thinks he sees a chance for a big tackle for loss, blows his assignment, and gets burned that you get in trouble.

It’s why Knies and others came back when they could be making good money in the NHL. I’m always worried, but it would be great to see. I remember the misery that was Harvard at the Civic Center in the late 80s. Still post traumatic stress.
Yes I think all Gopher fans suffer from some post traumatic stress.

Beat the trap. Get the puck deep and go win some puck battles and manufacture goals. The way QU beats us is if we try to dipsy doodle around the trap, get frustrated, force it a bit, make a bad decision, and get burned on a counter attack. The trap is similar to the triple option offense in football. A less skilled team tries to neutralize a talent disparity and make the game about who is able to stay disciplined, execute fundamentals, make good decisions, and avoid sloppy or lazy plays. It's beatable as long as we pay attention and everyone does their job. It's when the outside linebacker gets wide-eyed because he thinks he sees a chance for a big tackle for loss, blows his assignment, and gets burned that you get in trouble.
That's a pretty good analogy

Qpac passing is extremely crisp. Just an overall good hockey team. It should be a good game.

Quinnipiac is a little more maturity on their side with an average age per player of 22.3 years vs the Gophers with 21.1 years. That said, I still like our chances.

TAMPA, Fla. — For the Quinnipiac University men's hockey team, the mantra remains the same.

Quinnipiac's unique defense and 'Big 10 killer' game to collide with Minnesota's style in title game​

Bobcats say that national championship game, opponent will not change how they play. Gophers want to get off to another fast start​

For the University of Minnesota, the theme is trying to dictate tempo and use the team's depth.

And, of course, there's the intrigue of the top-scoring offense in NCAA Division I taking on the toughest team to score on.

TAMPA, Fla. — For the Quinnipiac University men's hockey team, the mantra remains the same.

Quinnipiac's unique defense and 'Big 10 killer' game to collide with Minnesota's style in title game​

Bobcats say that national championship game, opponent will not change how they play. Gophers want to get off to another fast start​

For the University of Minnesota, the theme is trying to dictate tempo and use the team's depth.

And, of course, there's the intrigue of the top-scoring offense in NCAA Division I taking on the toughest team to score on.
An unstoppable force meets an immovable object, somethings gotta give.

Minnesota
Offense (goals-per-game): 4.3 (1st).
Defense: 2.2 (tied for 4th).

Quinnipiac
Offense (goals-per-game): 4.0 (3rd).
Defense: 1.6 (1st).

Top Bottom