***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS NORTHWESTERN IN-GAME THREAD***

Another smallish crowd with an absolutely dead atmosphere even in the first half when the game was fairly close. The fun atmosphere against Michigan State used to be the norm. Now it's becoming rarer and rarer. While winning would clearly go a long way to changing that for the better, even before the tide turned against Tubby things were not as they'd been during the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s. There are always plenty of children on hand, but in general the crowds are getting older and it is getting harder to find significant numbers of people in their 20s and 30s at games or interested in general compared to even Gopher Football. Classes aren't in session, so the student section has been especially vacant lately, but over the past few years there has been plenty of real estate even when classes have been ongoing. Once upon a time basketball was a cash cow and football was the problem child. Football has made a nice recovery lately, but Maturi and then Teague let the sales and marketing side of the basketball program slide. Now Teague's ultimate successor has a huge hole to dig out of on this front.

Agreed on Pitino's demeanor today. He was voicing his displeasure quite noticeably during the timeouts today. It was intense.

I never thought I'd write this, but I was at the game today, and then tonight I took my daughter to both of ours first Gopher women's gymnastics meets and the atmosphere, energy and effort was so much better tonight at the Pavilion than it was earlier in the day at The Barn.

Go Gophers!!

The situation at the barn is more sad than anything else.

Didn't get a chance to see the game yesterday so started watching the replay this morning. Got a few minutes into the second half and need to pull the plug. Doing it will allow me to keep alive some hope.

Didn't get a chance to see the game yesterday so started watching the replay this morning. Got a few minutes into the second half and need to pull the plug. Doing it will allow me to keep alive some hope.

There is some hope...hope that the coach and players will wake up and discover team basketball fundamentals.

Agreed on Pitino's demeanor today. He was voicing his displeasure quite noticeably during the timeouts today. It was intense. I never thought I'd write this, but I was at the game today, and then tonight I took my daughter to both of ours first Gopher women's gymnastics meets and the atmosphere, energy and effort was so much better tonight at the Pavilion than it was earlier in the day at The Barn. Go Gophers!!

Try a vball game too next year. Usually great, intimate atmosphere.

Try a vball game too next year. Usually great, intimate atmosphere.
I second that option. I took my daughter to the first two rounds of the NCAA Volleyball Tournament at the Pavillion. It was amazing to see a one-third full Pavillion swell to an electric capacity crowd when the Gophers played.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom