******Official Minnesota vs. Illinois in-game thread: 11AM CT, ESPNU*********

Maybe it's the Grain Belt talking, but I feel ok about the 2nd half. Team can't really play worse, and we're due a turnover or two. A lot riding on that first drive after half IMO. Got to move the ball.

I felt the same way last week because our offense was at least moving the ball, and I have a lot more confidence of our defense figuring out their struggles rather than the offense. This week it's flip-flopped and I'm definitely concerned.

Any predictions for changes we'll see to the offense in the 2nd half?

This reminds me of Glen's last trip to Bloomington.

We barfed it up the first half and throttled them in the third quarter.

Hoping for a repeat.

We were down 14-7 at the half and then scored 27 straight in the 3rd quarter. Won the game 42-21.

Games are won in the trenches. The score reflects Minnesota's woeful display of offensive line blocking (pass and rush). Illinois is last in rush defense; however, offensive line by the Gophers makes the Illini look like a top defense. Better have a big adjustment in line play in the second half.

Go Gophers!!

I felt the same way last week because our offense was at least moving the ball, and I have a lot more confidence of our defense figuring out their struggles rather than the offense. This week it's flip-flopped and I'm definitely concerned.

THIS.

No, they've sold out on Cobb. The QB run has been open, if we had a QB to exploit it. Bad read decisions on the option.

Also, why, again, are we seeing a full offensive half without an attempted SCREEN PASS?

If only he were playing our defensive ends, who put themselves in position to neither stop the RB or the QB.

We need to start attacking the seams. Not sure why most of our play action is going outside right now, as CBs can cover those areas pretty easily. Illinois looks weak up the seam (see missed pass to KJ Maye), and the safeties are jumping up quickly into run support. The middle will be open, and those are easier throws.

I wish the half time wizard Tracy Claeys could draw up a reasonable game plan from Sunday-Friday. This is 3 straight weeks where our front 7 has looked lost on assignments. Our D-line has no discipline and seems incapable of taking on blockers. It doesn't help that Claeys has fallen in love with ridiculous twists on the D-line this year. If I see Botticelli slowly weave his way out to the 7 technique again, my head might explode.

I had a good feeling last week at half time. This week, I'm not feeling it. Hope I'm wrong.

Doesn't matter what you call if your OL isn't blocking, your receivers can't catch the ball, and your QB can't read the option and throw the ball well.

I'm really in shock. After last week, I thought there would be no way we come out flat. Lots of teams have sold out on the run and Cobb has still had success. We really aren't doing a whole lot right. I don't care how bad our QB has looked, 3 points at the half against Illinois is ridiculous.

This is the problem of winning in comeback fashion. It can be a real blessing; but sometimes it makes you believe that you can do that all the time, and you just don't come out all that focused early, as a result, and panic (or lethargy) can set in.

They needed to carry momentum from last game late, and they came in unfocused and not ready to play or coach.

The defense got its bad quarter out-of-the-way. The offense will have gotten its bad half out of the way. We will now methodically take over the game.

Go Gophers

If only he were playing our defensive ends, who put themselves in position to neither stop the RB or the QB.

We need to start attacking the seams. Not sure why most of our play action is going outside right now, as CBs can cover those areas pretty easily. Illinois looks weak up the seam (see missed pass to KJ Maye), and the safeties are jumping up quickly into run support. The middle will be open, and those are easier throws.

I wish the half time wizard Tracy Claeys could draw up a reasonable game plan from Sunday-Friday. This is 3 straight weeks where our front 7 has looked lost on assignments. Our D-line has no discipline and seems incapable of taking on blockers. It doesn't help that Claeys has fallen in love with ridiculous twists on the D-line this year. If I see Botticelli slowly weave his way out to the 7 technique again, my head might explode.

I had a good feeling last week at half time. This week, I'm not feeling it. Hope I'm wrong.

Didn't think the D looked that bad the last three times Illinois had the ball. Maybe the way our Offense was playing, colored my view, but don't the stats reflect that too?

Quote Originally Posted by cncmin View Post
No, they've sold out on Cobb. The QB run has been open, if we had a QB to exploit it. Bad read decisions on the option.

Also, why, again, are we seeing a full offensive half without an attempted SCREEN PASS?

We ran a WR screen early on when Illinois was called for holding. It was a fake to Cobb to one side then a pass back to a WR (don't remember who it was).

You're sure sticking up hard for a QB who just played an atrocious first half and an offensive coordinator who was unable to guide a running team to even one TD in the first half against one of the worst rushing defenses in the whole of college football.

I know you want to be a glass half-full guy here, but if you can't see the mistakes that both the QB and the O Coordinator have been doing today, then you've got some major rose-colored glasses on today, my friend.

Everyone knows ML7 played horrible. Most k ow the backup QB is not the answer right now.

We wait all week for this with such excitement, and then this. It's difficult to cope. I have to remind myself of all the people suffering in the world. Gotta keep this in perspective. Breathe........breathe........

Didn't think the D looked that bad the last three times Illinois had the ball. Maybe the way our Offense was playing, colored my view, but don't the stats reflect that too?

Defense has played well after the first few drives. Also have to give a big thanks to Beckman for switching their QB when their offense was clicking. That made no sense at all.

IL is worse than Purdue. We can still win this IF our O can figure it out soon.

Everyone knows ML7 played horrible. Most k ow the backup QB is not the answer right now.

I know you're an astute football man, but you have to admit you never know what could change the game. After all, you never would've thought this would be the case at half-time. It's worth a series or two to at least see what happens. It can't hurt.

I know you're an astute football man, but you have to admit you never know what could change the game. After all, you never would've thought this would be the case at half-time. It's worth a series or two to at least see what happens. It can't hurt.

Yes I am. Yes it can.

Just curious what people would change if they were the offensive coordinator? Limegrover is being forced to call a game right now where the threat of a passing game does not even exist. We have attempted to run short passes that could give the QB confidence, and the receiver dropped the ball. We have run play action, and the QB overthrows the receiver by 7 yards. The problem is that the execution by our players in the passing game is brutal. So, we have been forced to try and run our way back to success, but so far Illinois is up to the task because they know they don't need to respect the pass. This game is only going to be won if the execution of the players improves, we complete several passes to loosen up the Illinois defense. 3/10 for 30 yards passing is not going to do it in the Big 10.

Games are won in the trenches. The score reflects Minnesota's woeful display of offensive line blocking (pass and rush). Illinois is last in rush defense; however, offensive line by the Gophers makes the Illini look like a top defense. Better have a big adjustment in line play in the second half.

Go Gophers!!

You're sure sticking up hard for a QB who just played an atrocious first half and an offensive coordinator who was unable to guide a running team to even one TD in the first half against one of the worst rushing defenses in the whole of college football.

I know you want to be a glass half-full guy here, but if you can't see the mistakes that both the QB and the O Coordinator have been doing today, then you've got some major rose-colored glasses on today, my friend.

When did I stick up for Limegrover? I'm simply looking towards the best interests of the team. Leidner had a very bad first half. He still gives us the best chance to win, however. Just think there is TOO much hate directed towards him, as though he's the only offensive player.

DL65 said it correctly. Want to hate on someone? The offensive line is ruining this game. Even Cobb cannot find any running room.

Top Bottom