*** OFFICIAL MINNESOTA-STANFORD IN-GAME THREAD ***

I can't speak for anyone else, but since I wasn't able to watch the game I had to resort to listening to Grimm and Tollackson on the radio. Their homerism made it seem like the refs had a vendetta against the Gophers.

It got pretty bad. While we got a couple nice calls, any time we touched them on defense or even when we didn't touch them (Mbakwe block) they called it on us.

But as the tv announcers acknowledged Mbakwe and Williams were pushed and shoved and hacked when the gophers were on offense and they only called a foul if it was blatant for us.

Terrible refs in my opinion.

Royal - you were today's co-MVP with Mbakwe for giving that link. Thanks!!! :)

2nd the motion. I would have been watching the unfortunate football game exclusively if it wasn't for this link. Muchas gracias!!

Could be wrong, but I think gophers converted 11 of 12 FTs on the crazy dumb Stanford fouls on 3 pt shots. Ball game.

+1 on the link. The first half was frustrating with frontrow. The block by Trev was incredibly clean. Terrible call. If one of our guys had pulled a bone-head foul like they did at the end, this board would have went balistic on whoever it was. Although it was entertaining watching their coach try and argue the whistle. Overall a solid weekend for the boys. Now, can they keep their heads and focus enough to get a win at Florida St.?

It got pretty bad. While we got a couple nice calls, any time we touched them on defense or even when we didn't touch them (Mbakwe block) they called it on us.

But as the tv announcers acknowledged Mbakwe and Williams were pushed and shoved and hacked when the gophers were on offense and they only called a foul if it was blatant for us.

We're a B1G team vs a Pac-12 team, Trevor & Rodney getting hacked/shoved/pushed is nothing new for them, it's our kind of game in fact.

Agreed I thought the refs were terrible for most of the tournament a lot of missed and blown calls. The call on Stanford at the end of the game was a very easy call and not a call that could have went either way it clearly effected the shot and had to be called.

Anyone find a link to game highlights anywhere? I see there was live streaming from a couple sites, but they don't seem to archive the games.

Thanks

Prolific, you have not watched a lot of college basketball if you think what Randle did was one of the dumbest fouls ever. My opinion is it was a foul, but whether it's called largely depends on the propensity for the refs to call fouls in the particular game. In this one, the refs obviously were not shy to blow their whistles. So it made sense for that foul to be called in this game. But don't be surprised if you see something similar go uncalled in other games.

A couple of the dumbest fouls I can remember in recent years came in a Round of 32 game in the 2011 NCAA tourney, Butler's Shelvin Mack fouled a Pitt player shooting from halfcourt when Butler was UP by a point with 1.4 seconds to go. What's even worse, Nasir Robinson for Pitt fouled a Butler player after Pitt missed a FT when the game was tied with 0.8 seconds to go. Pitt basically lost a chance at a Final Four because of a stupid foul.
http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=310780221

Jamelle Horne for Arizona twice fouled opponents right before the buzzer with a tie score near halfcourt in one season. If my memory is correct, on one of the plays he actually chased after the opponent and fouled him from behind to ensure that he would snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
http://www.aolnews.com/2009/01/17/jamelle-horne-might-be-least-intelligent-basketball-player-ever/

Yeah, I remember that Pitt-Butler game. Crazy, crazy finish.

Love this photo of the Randle foul ... check out Johnny Dawkins in the background screaming "Noooooooooo!" hahaha

http://espn.go.com/ncb/photos?gameId=323290024&photoId=2572099#photo_2572047

Overall, I am happy that the Gophers came out of the Battle for Atlantis 2-1 (which I thought they needed to do), and I am THRILLED that they went 2-1 considering the way they played for most of the tournament. It's impressive that they could beat a credible team in Stanford playing as poorly as they did. That should be a sign of a good team...assuming the turnovers/giving up O boards issues actually improve as the season goes on.

I am concerned about this team because it's not apparent to me what they do really well. I thought this team would hang its hat on defense, but we saw them be unable to force turnovers on the perimeter, give up penetration to the basket, and give up the usual open 3's during this tournament. On offense, they simply can't keep turning the ball over (especially the unforced variety). The last play of the Stanford game consisted of a lazy pass from Andre to Trevor and a lazy effort by Trevor to meet the ball. There was no excuse for that type of (almost) turnover and it happens time after time.

Overall, I am happy that the Gophers came out of the Battle for Atlantis 2-1 (which I thought they needed to do), and I am THRILLED that they went 2-1 considering the way they played for most of the tournament. It's impressive that they could beat a credible team in Stanford playing as poorly as they did. That should be a sign of a good team...assuming the turnovers/giving up O boards issues actually improve as the season goes on.

I am concerned about this team because it's not apparent to me what they do really well. I thought this team would hang its hat on defense, but we saw them be unable to force turnovers on the perimeter, give up penetration to the basket, and give up the usual open 3's during this tournament. On offense, they simply can't keep turning the ball over (especially the unforced variety). The last play of the Stanford game consisted of a lazy pass from Andre to Trevor and a lazy effort by Trevor to meet the ball. There was no excuse for that type of (almost) turnover and it happens time after time.

A win is a win, but the Gophers should be embarrassed about winning it the way that they did. Bringing the ball up court and the first pass is nearly stolen setting up the finish. That sort of finish doesn't occur with teams that close out games well.

A win is a win, but the Gophers should be embarrassed about winning it the way that they did. Bringing the ball up court and the first pass is nearly stolen setting up the finish. That sort of finish doesn't occur with teams that close out games well.

I tend to disagree because I don't understand why it is ever embarrassing to win any game.

Dumb

The Gophers were not the one who made one of the stupidest fouls ever.

I agree with your first 5 words. I am happy with a win and annoyed with a loss. Two things can happen in a basketball game, and yesterday we got the one we wanted.

Considering how much we've seen practice footage of Tubby talking about being strong with the ball and all of that, it's amazing how lackadaisical this team can be with it. That last play is just something that absolutely cannot happen down the line. You can't have guys just kinda laying it out there like that, just not acceptable.

I am most definitely encourage that this team looked like it could play MUCH better and they still grabbed two quality wins in this tournament, it certainly beats feeling like the team played it's best possible ball and barely winning those games. It's also nice to have your studs show up in different games to contribute to these wins, where against Memphis you had Hollins go off, but then against Stanford he struggled, but then you had Mbakwe pick up the slack. That's what a good team's about, having different guys capable of showing up for you.

I was at the football game. Sounds like a great finish, and I am happy to see that we have a 6-1 bball team with our one loss against a top five Duke team. Not much to complain about there. Nice to give Stanford some payback after the NIT championship game last year. Hopefully we can find some highlights from the game.......haven't seen any yet.

For a while, I was thinking that the turnovers would get cleaned up and then we'd be on the way to a good season. I'm starting to wonder whether it's going to get any better. The line from the movie: "What if this is as good as it gets?" We might be dealing with a sloppy, turnover prone team. I hope not, of course.

Top Bottom