*** OFFICIAL MINNESOTA-MEMPHIS IN-GAME THREAD ***

Bleed, let's face it...Tubby outcoached Pastner today, but Dre was the difference maker, because the Coaches don't play the game. Our guys outplayed Memphis...period.

With this win, it just might be enough to get to the top 25. Gophers whip a Tiger a$$. Mean frikking Gophers...Gotta love 'em.

Go Gophers!!!
Agree on Tubby. But c'mon man - that stache is trash. Makes him look like somebody's 87 year old great-grandpa. It's got to go !

Although Andre had a great game and I won't deny that, he had 0 assists and still 5 turnovers. Don't get me wrong, I'll take 41 points from him and 0 assists any day, but I think that's still one area he can improve on.

Although Andre had a great game and I won't deny that, he had 0 assists and still 5 turnovers. Don't get me wrong, I'll take 41 points from him and 0 assists any day, but I think that's still one area he can improve on.

He had 2 assists and 4 turnovers. One of the hack commentors on Facebook also said he had 0 assists. Where are you getting this false information?

His assists have been way up so far this year. It's hard to get an assist on your own basket I guess. :) FWIW the final line shows 4 turnovers and 2 assists- there were only 13 made field goals not made by Andre.

He had 2 assists and 4 turnovers. One of the hack commentors on Facebook also said he had 0 assists. Where are you getting this false information?

When I checked ESPN earlier thats what it had said, guess they changed it now. Kind of ruins my point, so never mind, good job Andre! lol

Austin really filled up the box score nicely despite an off shooting night.

Everybody is only talking about Dre. Lets not forget if Rodney didn't have that block and the basket, all of Dre's points would have been wasted. We would have lost the game. I think Rod's two plays really changed the outcome.

Great win.

Go Gophers

PiPress: Gophers basketball: Andre Hollins dedicates his 41-point game to Granny

After giving her 19-year-old son a postgame bear hug and kiss in the hallway at the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament, Donna Hollins, wearing a maroon Gophers shirt with "Hollins" on the back, walked away with tears in her eyes.

Andre had whispered something in her ear.

"He said, 'That was for Granny,' " Hollins' mother told Gophers coach Tubby Smith's wife, Donna, before they embraced.

On Saturday, Hollins' grandmother, Willie Mae Boone, died peacefully at her home in Memphis at age 86, according to Memphis newspapers. Her funeral was Wednesday, the day before Hollins struggled with a 12-point outing on 4-for-13 shooting in an 89-71 opening-round loss to No. 5 Duke.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22055509/gophers-basketball-andre-hollins-dedicates-his-41-point

Go Gophers!!

Agree on Tubby. But c'mon man - that stache is trash. Makes him look like somebody's 87 year old great-grandpa. It's got to go !

No way, that stache is awesome! Plus it's MOvember!

Everybody is only talking about Dre. Lets not forget if Rodney didn't have that block and the basket, all of Dre's points would have been wasted. We would have lost the game. I think Rod's two plays really changed the outcome.

Great win.

Go Gophers

Even with Dre going off today, I'd be surprised if Rodney doesn't end up being our leading scorer this year. I give him a lot of credit, he's really improved his game when a lot of people were getting on him for not doing much of that early in his career here. That jumper does look better, he hasn't taken many threes but he's hit a few mid range shots and looked good doing it.

He's also playing HARD. Harder than I've ever seen him play. He's really taking that leadership role on nicely.

Link didn't work too well.....according to the site, here were the placement ratings for the class at Memphis

Top 100: No. 10 Will Barton, No. 11 Joe Jackson, No. 31 Jelan Kendrick, No. 59 Tarik Black, No. 64 Chris Crawford
Supporting Cast: Antonio Barton, Hippolyte Tsafack
Analysis: Head coach Josh Pastner could make Memphis a bully again in Conference USA after landing an embarrassment of riches in the backcourt. Keeping this many talented guards happy could be a challenge.

Even with Dre going off today, I'd be surprised if Rodney doesn't end up being our leading scorer this year. I give him a lot of credit, he's really improved his game when a lot of people were getting on him for not doing much of that early in his career here. That jumper does look better, he hasn't taken many threes but he's hit a few mid range shots and looked good doing it.

He's also playing HARD. Harder than I've ever seen him play. He's really taking that leadership role on nicely.

After Memphis had taken the lead with the 3 pointer in the second half, you could see Rodney calling for the ball. He got it and promptly went to the hole and scored on a left handed lay up and the Gophers never trailed again.

Very nice win for the Gophers.

Great game by Andre. One pt less than the Gopher single game record, 42 held by Ollie Shannon(1971) and Eric Magnanz(1962).

Having said that, the turnovers by this teams are mind-boggling. Many lazy/sloppy passes and just plain poor ball handling.

Andre - decent ball handler for a pg..not great.
Autstin - so so to poor as a ball handler....many other attributes off-set his ball handling.
Joe - sorry, I'm not a Joe Coleman fan....terrible ball handler and poor outside shooter.

This team could sorely use another perimeter player that can score from the outside and handle the ball.

Edit: Eric Magdanz played for Dave Mona's dad(coach) in high school.

Great game by Andre. One pt less than the Gopher single game record, 42 held by Ollie Shannon(1971) and Eric Magnanz(1962).

Having said that, the turnovers by this teams are mind-boggling. Many lazy/sloppy passes and just plain poor ball handling.

Autstin - so so to poor as a ball handler....many other attributes off-set his ball handling.
Joe - sorry, I'm not a Joe Coleman fan....terrible ball handler and poor outside shooter.

This team could sorely use another perimeter player that can score from the outside and handle the ball.

Good summary of our guards. I do believe that Welch will start to get some of Colemans minutes as he is a much better ball handler and knows his role on the floor. Not worried about his shot, as Dre was also shooting poor this year until yesterday. He also helps to spread the floor and open up space for Rodney and Trevor. Coleman needs to understand he is the 4th or 5th offensive option out of the starting 5.

I think he's pretty solid. He had a bad turnover yesterday but overall, he doesn't turn the ball over very often. He leads the team in minutes yet has just 7 TO.

Good summary of our guards. I do believe that Welch will start to get some of Colemans minutes as he is a much better ball handler and knows his role on the floor. Not worried about his shot, as Dre was also shooting poor this year until yesterday. He also helps to spread the floor and open up space for Rodney and Trevor. Coleman needs to understand he is the 4th or 5th offensive option out of the starting 5.

Another huge area of concern is the amount of defensive rebounds given up by the Gophers. Memphis had 16 offensive rebounds and Richmond had 20....pointed out by Quincy earlier this morning on Gopher BB Talk on ESPN1500. Quincy pointed out how much Clem stressed this.

I think he's pretty solid. He had a bad turnover yesterday but overall, he doesn't turn the ball over very often. He leads the team in minutes yet has just 7 TO.

He also doesn't move with the ball in his hands that often. Maybe knows his limitations.

He also doesn't move with the ball in his hands that often. Maybe knows his limitations.

That pretty much goes for the entire squad, with the exception of Dre and Welch. We really lack good ball handlers on this team.

Another huge area of concern is the amount of defensive rebounds given up by the Gophers. Memphis had 16 offensive rebounds and Richmond had 20....pointed out by Quincy earlier this morning on Gopher BB Talk on ESPN1500. Quincy pointed out how much Clem stressed this.

Yup.

With big bodies like Mo and Trevor, a ridiculous athlete with height like Rodney, and a 7 footer in EE there is no reason rebounding shouldn't be a strength for us. I'm sure Tubby has told them the same.

Top Bottom