*** OFFICIAL MINNESOTA-IOWA IN-GAME THREAD ***

Weisman is a nice story, but they are talking about the guy like he's the reincarnation of Jim Brown.

To be fair, we typically make backup QB's making their first start look like Heisman contenders - we have not given the same treatment to a running back in a long time.

So, why were we trying to kill our back-up qb with that last drive?

A co-second team walkon fullback doing what he is doing with the recent history of Iowa running backs is more than a nice story.

Ah baloney. I could be wrong, but let's see how he holds up against better competition.

Keep in mind we gave up 144 yards to Dareyon Chance two weeks ago on pretty much the same plays.

Tough loss for a young team. I look forward to a much improved effort in two weeks. Go Gophers!

No, the Shortell that the people with blinders on saw the last two weeks, THAT guy could win 9-10 games this year.

So, you want to put Gray back in as QB now? I just don't see the point. I would rather have Shortell playing and making his mistakes this year. Heck, get the coaches to start practicing more of an offense with a non-running QB. Gray is not going to win us the Big Ten this year - maybe (and that is a big maybe) he wins one more game than Shortell - so what? Having Gray as starting QB stops the program from progressing. Sad for Gray, but is does not change the truth of the situation.

Well, that was Glenn Mason like. Look good in pre conference then poop the bed once B10 starts; against a bad Iowa team no less.

No, the Shortell that the people with blinders on saw the last two weeks, THAT guy could win 9-10 games this year.

So, you want to put Gray back in as QB now? I just don't see the point. I would rather have Shortell playing and making his mistakes this year. Heck, get the coaches to start practicing more of an offense with a non-running QB. Gray is not going to win us the Big Ten this year - maybe (and that is a big maybe) he wins one more game than Shortell - so what? Having Gray as starting QB stops the program from progressing. Sad for Gray, but is does not change the truth of the situation.

Wrong. It is clear that Gray starts as soon as he can. We are playing for this year...you know...a bowl game.

So you're completely giving-up on a 4-1 season? Should we go with Gray if he's healthy? Yeah; SURE! He gives them a much better chance to win. He's a far, far better runner and while he's not a very accurate passer neither is Shortell. That's no matter how many times people try to tell us to ignore what we've seen.

Wrong. It is clear that Gray starts as soon as he can. We are playing for this year...you know...a bowl game.

Shortell will get us to a bowl, whether the bowl is for a 6 or 7 win team is the only thing that changes potentially with Gray. That is not worth putting the program in neutral until Gray graduates.

Exactly. A bowl game is extra weeks of practice and an extra game. If Gray can get us to a bowl it helps the whole entire team get better.

Gray should start and if he can't move the team, put in Shortell. Gray's running (if he can run on that ankle) gives us a dimension we don't have now. Alternate QBs if you have to - anything but a series of three-and-outs. But we need a real Big Ten running back.

Shortell will get us to a bowl, whether the bowl is for a 6 or 7 win team is the only thing that changes potentially with Gray. That is not worth putting the program in neutral until Gray graduates.

Shortell gets us to a bowl? That whole 106-13 scoring record in the Big10 isn't very impressive ...

I have and will continue to want Gray as the starting QB.

So you're completely giving-up on a 4-1 season? Should we go with Gray if he's healthy? Yeah; SURE! He gives them a much better chance to win. He's a far, far better runner and while he's not a very accurate passer neither is Shortell. That's no matter how many times people try to tell us to ignore what we've seen.

This is what I was trying to say in my previous post, which I thought was a double post, but apparently not. +1

At the very least, Gray is not a significantly worse option than Shortell. I really think Gray could have matched Shortell's passing performance today and outdone him on the ground. Gray was also a key to both of our last two wins against Iowa.

Shortell gets us to a bowl? That whole 106-13 scoring record in the Big10 isn't very impressive ...

Look at Gray's body of work - he is not now, nor ever will be a top QB. Like it or not, Shortell will be our starting QB next year and the year after. If Gray was a soph or junior, you may have a point. But, we will need to implement an entirely new offense next year regardless. I highly doubt we will ever have as gifted an athlete at QB as Gray again - so stop making that a center piece of our offense. That change needs to start ASAP. I will gladly trade a low end bowl bid this year for progress and continued progression next year.

Look at Gray's body of work - he is not now, nor ever will be a top QB. Like it or not, Shortell will be our starting QB next year and the year after. If Gray was a soph or junior, you may have a point. But, we will need to implement an entirely new offense next year regardless. I highly doubt we will ever have as gifted an athlete at QB as Gray again - so stop making that a center piece of our offense. That change needs to start ASAP. I will gladly trade a low end bowl bid this year for progress and continued progression next year.
This argument makes no sense at all. Why does the change need to start now? It takes an entire year of getting his ass handed to him for, what, exactly?

You play your best players to win the game. This is so obvious it's not even worth arguing.

Wrong yet again. He might, but that is not the plan at all-not even close. If he is the starting qb (not a rip on Max) in two years-something has gone terribly wrong.

Unless of course Nelson is the QB next year. Which means they give-up on this season and we start over again next season.

This argument makes no sense at all. Why does the change need to start now? It takes an entire year of getting his ass handed to him for, what, exactly?

You play your best players to win the game. This is so obvious it's not even worth arguing.

Apparently not Pally, apparently not. :eek:

Yeah, by that logic, all seniors should be benched for the rest of the year and juniors only used sparingly in case of injury, right? That would be a great way to encourage players to stay with the team - let them know that when they have gained experience and are the best player at their position that they'll lose their starting job 5 games in so that a 4-1 team can bail on the rest of the season. It's WAY WAY WAY WAY too early to play for next year.

Yeah, by that logic, all seniors should be benched for the rest of the year and juniors only used sparingly in case of injury, right? That would be a great way to encourage players to stay with the team - let them know that when they have gained experience and are the best player at their position that they'll lose their starting job 5 games in so that a 4-1 team can bail on the rest of the season. It's WAY WAY WAY WAY too early to play for next year.

Word.

Top Bottom