***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT wisconsin IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

it was a frustrating game.

on the one hand, the Gophers had stretches where they looked more like a team and did some good things.

and then they would turn the ball over and go into a 4-minute dead zone.

going forward, there is a path to improvement: cut down on the turnovers, improve ball movement, get the ball to the post, and continue the emphasis on rebounding.

can they do that? will they do that?

I don't have a clue.

I liked the look of the effort as well. What is impossible for me to sort out is whether it just looked like more effort because we were able to keep up with Wisconsin's foot speed- or whether it was actually just the best effort we have put out. Wisconsin- other than Hepburn and also Wahl for his position, is a pretty slow footed squad.
Could be but out-rebounding them the way we did(they almost doubled them) tells me they were playing hard regardless.

100% if by that you mean- low post touches. We do have Payne touch the ball in the high post, but there isn't much that gets done with it.

Thinking back to Clem and also Dutcher before him- the center, no matter how good or bad they were ran down the court and grabbed a low post position and the ball went in from the wing. That has been super rare in the last year. Pitino did it some depending on who he had: Mo Walker and Lynch both got fed the ball a reasonable amount as did Murph. Pitino was better than Ben so far on this aspect, but in fairness to Ben - he had nothin' to feed last year and unfortunately I think that became habit forming.
I did mean low post. Payne at the free throw line isn’t ideal. He isn’t great when he isn’t guarded from that spot let alone when he is. I’m not saying to feed the post every possession but he works his ass off and never gets it.

Rebounding was impressive last night. At one point we were up like 12-0 on second chance points. That probably hasn’t happened in five years.
The young guys really had moments where you could see the light at the end of the tunnel on defense as well. If Henley learns more how to play and puts it together, he could really be a terror on the defensive end.

The young guys really had moments where you could see the light at the end of the tunnel on defense as well. If Henley learns more how to play and puts it together, he could really be a terror on the defensive end.
You don’t know how much I hope so!

Hard to imagine that continuing this season. That is not a great basketball team, no clue (other than historical bias?) why Wisky is ranked in the top 25, much less #14. Their resume up to this point is less than impressive.
Annually they have had good fortune health wise. If Wahl is hobbled they will falter but Ogee, most every team Gard has coached is come on, these guys ain’t very goood. Yet they win.
Davis got hurt one game at the end last year and they lost the title.

I liked the look of the effort as well. What is impossible for me to sort out is whether it just looked like more effort because we were able to keep up with Wisconsin's foot speed- or whether it was actually just the best effort we have put out. Wisconsin- other than Hepburn and also Wahl for his position, is a pretty slow footed squad.
I watched Illini/NU game last evening. The Illini tried to slash and push the ball relentlessly all game inspite of NU's very good perimeter D. It will be very interesting to see how W will defend the Illini offense this Saturday.

From what I saw, NU is much improved, appeared to be a well rounded team and would beat the Badgers.

I watched Illini/NU game last evening. The Illini tried to slash and push the ball relentlessly all game inspite of NU's very good perimeter D. It will be very interesting to see how W will defend the Illini offense this Saturday.

From what I saw, NU is much improved, appeared to be a well rounded team and would beat the Badgers.
The Badgers are not good. We are just worse

They did have their moments, on both ends of the floor. And I agree about Henley, not only does he have a chance to be a really good defender, he's one of only a few guys on this team who can create a shot when they want to. Granted, not many are going in yet, but give that kid a year or two of skills building and strengthening and he can be an asset for this team. Oops, am I getting too optimistic?

Top Bottom