***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT RUTGERS IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Garcia is clearly our best player, and Battle is arguably our second best...but I am not entirely sure we aren't a better team with neither of them on the floor. In games that they both play big minutes, it seems like we lose big. In games that neither or one of them plays, it seems like the games are closer. Am I wrong?

Garcia is out for tonight's game
That has been the only thing this announcing crew has gotten right
They are as bad as the play on the floor.

I think the Gophers need to make more shots. If you're only going to make 30%, you'd better be taking a lot more shots.

They're freshman. You need to get past this idea that they have hit their potential.
I think I said the opposite. They have upside, I don't expect them to be finished products. I'm simply saying this staff and the players have not earned the right for us to assume they will be able to get the full potential out of them

I would guess Henley was a guy who had the ball in his hands a lot and scored by creating his own shot.

He will need to figure out at this level against better competition that he his not the first option and he needs to move the ball within the offensive sets.

I'm not that down on him because he's taking the ball into scoring position but just not converting at an acceptable rate. He's getting the shots. Better than a shot clock violation or a desperation 3 point heave. Maybe next year he'll convert more of those.

I think I said the opposite. They have upside, I don't expect them to be finished products. I'm simply saying this staff and the players have not earned the right for us to assume they will be able to get the full potential out of them

Of course you can't expect full potential out of players. And you can't pass judgement on players in their first year. That's silly.

We look so flat footed and slow to react on defense. They are in the right defense against Rutgers- otherwise they would drive on us all night. It's our slow reaction to adjust the zone that gives them giant spaces to work with.

This might not come across clear, I'm not ripping these guys I just don't know how to say it. If JOJ and Payne figure out how to play basketball they will be very good players. Both clearly have gotten by on their physical superiority in HS. They don't seem to understand the concept of passing, where to be, things to do to play winning bball. Will this staff be able to get it out of them?

Also I'm not happy I'm right but I tried telling most everyone 6 weeks ago that Henley isn't a P5 player, Tre Williams comp seems accurate. Just go D2 and be superior at that level.
There’s a lot of freshman that hardly play at all their first year. Henley should be one of those guys but Johnson doesn’t have a choice because of the roster he put together.

It’s too early to make that determination.

I hate that so many of Payne's touches come at the elbow and he has bring it in on his own. Put him on the block or finishing off of a guard's penetration.
Those handoffs at 20-25 feet from the bucket are so fun to watch. It is exciting to see 4 players clustered that far from the bucket- you just never know who will come out with the ball!

Those handoffs at 20-25 feet from the bucket are so fun to watch. It is exciting to see 4 players clustered that far from the bucket- you just never know who will come out with the ball!
Trust the offensive "system".

The 5 out offense is putrid. We don’t back door cut and if they do they fall to look. We have no shooters even if open behind the arc.

I think the Gophers need to make more shots. If you're only going to make 30%, you'd better be taking a lot more shots.
That would mean you would have to give up some of our annoying turnovers to get more shots. You wouldn’t want to do that would you? They are an integral part of our game.

$1.7million a year for this is an embarrassment. They could have hired a D2 coach and gotten this kind of production.

Maybe it’s time to just stop participating in both men’s and women’s basketball at a big ten level.

Total Stats​

Team Stats
Game Stats
Minnesota
Rutgers
Points2848
FG11-3719-34
FG%29.755.9
3P2-155-12
3P%13.341.7

Top Bottom