***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT PENN ST IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Call it a poor 6 mins (guessing at the time) to end the first half. 19-2 run. They beat them until that pretty fine. However, a switch flipped and Penn State just crushed us.
I think pretty much that entire run happened with Hawkins on the bench after he picked up his second foul.

I think pretty much that entire run happened with Hawkins on the bench after he picked up his second foul.
Agreed. I was mostly making rhe point it was a short portion of First half that we weren’t winning the game. However, that short part was very damaging.

Happy we won, hit our free throws and won without Payne and Hawkins with foul trouble. Outscoring a team 52-28 in the 2nd half is evidence of making good half time adjustments. Penn St isn't a good team but a conference road win is still a conference road win.

Worst first half of basketball in Gopher history. I won’t watch the second half. Rather watch paint dry.
You must be a very young person. Never saw a Dan Monson coached team? Hate to say it, but in the years I have had season tickets, I have seen many horrible half’s, both in The Barn and on the road.

As far as the 2nd half, may rank among the top ten greatest comebacks — too bad you missed it.

It wasn't a call, genius. When a team is down 45-31 at halftime, they are on pace to lose 90-62. Simple arithmetic would do you some wonders.
Great explanation, Laurel, of Hardy's genius call.

And then a ten second call…that wasn’t? Rewound it and I think it was early.
Timed it myself. 9.65 seconds on my stopwatch from touch on the backcourt to touch on the frontcourt.

If he can’t be blamed for losses I don’t think he gets credit for wins. Unless I’m missing something?
Actually, yes, you are missing something. As I’ve pointed out before on this forum to compare the Gophers to the upper echelon of the Big Ten in the 3rd year of a new coach coming into a largely broken,program is what is known as a false equivalency. Although all losses hurt, no one should reasonably expect that any coach could step in and win all games - - so, no, he should not be blamed (solely) for all losses. Nor should 100% credit for wins be given to him. In this particular game, however, there were obvious adjustments and decisions made that impacted the game. Give him some credit.

Penn State found a hole in the defense that they could exploit. Staff made the adjustments at halftime to shut that down.

Does anyone remember Pitino's last few teams. I swear.....it was a common occurence to have the opposing team come out of halftime and go on like a 10-0 run right off the bat.
Many, many times...

Happy we won, hit our free throws and won without Payne and Hawkins with foul trouble. Outscoring a team 52-28 in the 2nd half is evidence of making good half time adjustments. Penn St isn't a good team but a conference road win is still a conference road win.
What is impressive about this win is that we shot poorly from the 3 point line, our bruiser didn't play, and we won in the paint and at the freethrow line. We put up 52 points in the 2nd half and it was not due to great outside shooting

Well to do that let's double our FT & FG percentages from last game.

77% from the charity stripe and 75% inside the arch.

Also, if we get between PSU and the basket for most of the game, we could make this a really fun game.
Well, this aged better than I expected. Not perfect, but better. FT were 88.5%, but FG were 53.8%

Last edited:

Actually, yes, you are missing something. As I’ve pointed out before on this forum to compare the Gophers to the upper echelon of the Big Ten in the 3rd year of a new coach coming into a largely broken,program is what is known as a false equivalency. Although all losses hurt, no one should reasonably expect that any coach could step in and win all games - - so, no, he should not be blamed (solely) for all losses. Nor should 100% credit for wins be given to him. In this particular game, however, there were obvious adjustments and decisions made that impacted the game. Give him some credit.

No one is expected to win all games. Not a single coach in any sport. What the hell are you talking about?

Johnson is equal to blame for losses as he is credited for wins. You can’t just pick and choose a “oh, he made adjustments!” But then ignore when he doesn’t “make adjustments”

This team has now put up 2 - 52 point second halves in Big Ten play. The first half struggles have been frustrating but holy crap this team can kick it into gear. Just have to figure out how to do it for the whole game instead of just one half.

missed the game - was keeping scorebook for local boys HS Basketball team in a road game. and they got outscored 50-17 in the 2nd half.

as far as the Gophers - saw the halftime score and didn't look again until the HS game was over.
according to story in Strib, in the 1st half Penn State went on a 22-2 run with 15 unanswered points. Then the Gophers went on a 31-11 run in the 2nd half. I wonder how many times you see each team go on runs like that in the same game?

this team never seems to make it look easy, but it's a B1G road win. Gophs now 2-2 at home and 2-3 on the road in the B1G. 6 home games and 5 road games left in conference schedule.

Top Bottom