***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT NORTHWESTERN IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

FWIW - Reusse has a column on the Strib website.
Basically says Johnson is in a difficult situation.
(quoting)
Yet I continue to admire Johnson's lack of antics, lack of ref-baiting, lack of self-pity, for this reason:

He's up against it more than any coach in Gophers modern history, even Clem Haskins when he took over with a grievously depleted roster in 1986.

but what jumped out to me - here is the end of the article:

Johnson didn't bring this up, but it came from a media source and was confirmed elsewhere:

The NIL (Name, Image and Likeness) funding for Gophers men's basketball stands at $0.00. Richard Pitino's better off in Lobo Land, I'm guessing.

Was hanging with the kiddos today and only saw the box score. I can see it went poorly.

Any bright spots?
Not a ton
Ramberg continues to be scrappy and a serviceable bench player.
Down by 13 at the half, down by 15 with 1:40 to go. With all the mistakes made in the second half at least we didn't quit.
You can continue to see some flashes of talent from the freshman.

Still, there was nothing about this game that had a "corner turning" feel.

Not a ton
Down by 13 at the half, down by 15 with 1:40 to go. With all the mistakes made in the second half at least we didn't quit.

I agree with all of this, I cannot see the end of this tunnel at all and I'd be shocked if that light at the end isn't a train.

Ramberg has been playing well. I'd keep playing him to try to force the youngsters to EARN their minutes.

I don't agree with that at all, he is good at pull up jumpers while driving, he doesn't have a lot of elevation and doesn't finish around the basket much when he drives.

Ola-Joseph, Cooper, and Payne had 11 turnovers among them. Very sloppy play especially from Cooper. Tough to overcome that many turnovers.
He may not turn it over, but he loses his dribble more often than not when he drives to the rim.

Not a ton

At least we didn't quit.
😂

My honest intention was to say, well, we only got 6 games to go and then we can maybe make some noise in the conference tournament.
Bad news: we have 10 more conference games before the conference tournament.
Going to be a slow month and change, as of today. But, good news, we do have 10 opportunities to get out of the cellar. Nobody is unbeatable in the standings after Purdue.
We could get hot!

Not a ton

Thanks. Frustrating that at end of January all we see out of freshman is flashes. I know there will be ups and downs, but these guys aren’t exactly brand new anymore. They should have settled into productive roles by now. I’d say JOJ is the only one that’s done that this far (not sure how he looked today, and he’s probably being asked to do a little bit too much but he’s added value). Good for Ramburg, but bad sign for everyone else.

I agree with all of this, I cannot see the end of this tunnel at all and I'd be shocked if that light at the end isn't a train.

Ramberg has been playing well. I'd keep playing him to try to force the youngsters to EARN their minutes.
Pretty sure that after the last couple of games, Ramberg might finally make the other teams scout report during the pre-game shoot around. "Finally, Ramberg may come off the bench. You'll want to box him out. He's kinda scrappy."

How many times will he say that? This isn't the first. Ben is super likable but he has to be the guy that coaches that out of them.
He'll likely say it every time it's true.
We had a stretch where we valued the ball and we either came close or won the game.

We have been inconsistent. That is a mark of a young team.

What is hard to watch is Jameson Battle attempt to drive to the basket. He very often fumbles the ball and has it stolen. He needs to stop doing what he's not good at and begin to move without the ball and get his shot by coming off screens, then catching and shooting. His handle is poor, so stop it.

We certainly need a quick guard who values every possession and can direct the offense. Cooper can pass, but he's better off ball.

I am not going to get too worked up over this season.

My honest intention was to say, well, we only got 6 games to go and then we can maybe make some noise in the conference tournament.
Bad news: we have 10 more conference games before the conference tournament.
Going to be a slow month and change, as of today. But, good news, we do have 10 opportunities to get out of the cellar. Nobody is unbeatable in the standings after Purdue.
We could get hot!
Where do you get your weed?

He'll likely say it every time it's true.
We had a stretch where we valued the ball and we either came close or won the game.

We have been inconsistent. That is a mark of a young team.

What is hard to watch is Jameson Battle attempt to drive to the basket. He very often fumbles the ball and has it stolen. He needs to stop doing what he's not good at and begin to move without the ball and get his shot by coming off screens, then catching and shooting. His handle is poor, so stop it.

We certainly need a quick guard who values every possession and can direct the offense. Cooper can pass, but he's better off ball.

I am not going to get too worked up over this season.
There aren't many left who will. That might be a problem.

The graphic lies? The internet is wrong? What?
Yes!

There aren't many left who will. That might be a problem.
Only if this is what happens next season.

I gave Richard time. I gave Tubby time. I am giving Ben time

Only if this is what happens next season.

I gave Richard time. I gave Tubby time. I am giving Ben time
Of course.

Tubby first 2 years 17-19
Pitino first 2 years. 14-22
CJB first 2 years (?) 6-34 (assumes 1 more BT win this year)

Things don't look good. That said I do like the base of youth that Ben has recruited. That's the hope. Next year the attendance will be real bad until there are results. Season tickets will be down again by another 1000-1500 I'd guess and fans will have to be won back by performance on the floor.

The team is in build mode.

The Gophers are going to be very strong in the paint ahead. Dennis Evans is coming in. Pherrel Payne and Ola-Joseph will work out. At this point nobody should be expecting Payne and JOJ to be consistent. They are freshmen. The team in general is forward-heavy. Do not worry there.

And so then what is going to happen at guard/wing. Guard Taurus Samuels is in his last year. PG Ta'Lon Cooper seems to be a mixed assessment.

So then eyes on wing/SG Jaden Henley. He's quick and seems motivated. Right now his stats have been towards bad. Again, he's a freshman. He definitely has talent.

I think SG Braiden Carrington is going to be good. He also has been bad but also has been really good.

And then SG Cameron Christie is coming in.

1675002192931.png

People can rip this program if they want for being bad. Lots of people do on Twitter and Facebook.

And then we have the fans who will also reactively blame the coach. Fire the coach. If they hired the right coach this wouldn't happen.

Some fans think coaches are chess masters and if something goes wrong on the court the coach made the wrong move with a chess piece. Actually, those guys are athletes where it takes a lot of effort and training to perform.

These young guys will progress and get better. They are not even sophomores of juniors yet.

And then we get these fans that throw the chess piece onto the chess board and scream, "Fire the coach!"

And they expect Minnesota to be Duke or they slip over the chess board.

Conclusion
-Gophers will be strong in the paint.
-Some good bets are placed at SG/wing. They may or may not pan out but a plan is in motion.
-This is not a situation for instant results. A plan is in motion.
-Dennis Evans is coming next season.
-Coach Ben Johnson got Evans, so yes I will be tenacious for Johnson. ROAR!

The Gophers are going to be very strong in the paint ahead. Dennis Evans is coming in. Pherrel Payne and Ola-Joseph will work out. At this point nobody should be expecting Payne and JOJ to be consistent. They are freshmen. The team in general is forward-heavy. Do not worry there.

And so then what is going to happen at guard/wing. Guard Taurus Samuels is in his last year. PG Ta'Lon Cooper seems to be a mixed assessment.

So then eyes on wing/SG Jaden Henley. He's quick and seems motivated. Right now his stats have been towards bad. Again, he's a freshman. He definitely has talent.

I think SG Braiden Carrington is going to be good. He also has been bad but also has been really good.

View attachment 23510

People can rip this program if they want for being bad. Lots of people do on Twitter and Facebook.

And then we have the fans who will also reactively blame the coach. Fire the coach. If they hired the right coach this wouldn't happen.

Some fans think coaches are chess masters and if something goes wrong on the court the coach made the wrong move with a chess piece. Actually, those guys are athletes where it takes a lot of effort and training to perform.

These young guys will progress and get better. They are not even sophomores of juniors yet.

And then we get these fans that throw the chess piece onto the chess board and scream, "Fire the coach!"

Conclusion
-Some good bets are placed at SG/wing. They may or may not pan out but a plan is in motion.
We aren't firing the coach anytime soon and it isn't his fault. If you are a coach with no experience and you get a Big Ten offer for 2 million a year- you take it and do what you can- and Ben has done that. Most people are mad at the administration. All of us hope that next year is much, much better.

View attachment 23510

Conclusion
...and about the point guard?

View attachment 23510

Conclusion
But is there a plan in motion??

Their bright future would be 7th and 8th players on a good team. Which is fine. But don't sell me on more than that.
Yeah I think JOJ could be a really good sixth man in the right situation, he's going to need to develop a legit three point game if he's going to be anymore than that. Henley needs to add about 15-20 pounds and I think we will see him start to finish better if that happens. I think Carrington can be a solid starting 2/3 in this league, has a high IQ, rebounds well, was starting to be more aggressive and he gets his shit off quick. Just don't think he's athletic enough to ever be all big ten or elite at shooting to make up for that, but every team needs glue guys and Carrington can be that. Payne I think can become an all big ten type as an upperclassmen. He turns it over a lot now but he also has one or two moments of brilliance a game as well. Once he stops trying to put the ball on the floor and the game slows down, he will develop the confidence to take it to the hoop right away. He showed flashes of an outside game in AAU, so hopefully he can tap into that as an upperclassmen. Betts showed a lot too when I saw him torch D1 MN, I have no doubt he's a better player than Nolan Winter. Probably won't play much next year with Battle, Garcia and possibly dox and Ihnen still around, but I think he will be ready for major minutes the following year

Indeed. It had the feel of the opposite. The team reversed course and went back to the starting point before any previous corners turned.

Good one. Funny guy. I get the joke!
There a parallel to NW. Bouie, Audige, Berry and Baren have played a lot of bad basketball together, lot of scoring and terrible defense. This year NW is playing defense at a top 20 level and they're winning. Imagine if Nance had stayed and they had a rin protected. Klopp going to IU opened up more minutes for Beran and I think Berry to play a three guard lineup

I'm going to say anyone who thinks we should heap praise on a 1-9 conference team who just got their doors blown off by NW might not want to be on any message board about said team.
1-9 deserves no praise but where I'll push back is Northwestern in second place halfway through the conference season, and they just took us to the woodshed in every aspect of the game today. We've been competitive in a decent amount of our losses but we're not today. Think the board needs to show the Cats some respect their backcourt currently has the two leading scorers in league play. NW has wins over Sparty, Illinois, IU and Wisconsin, they can play.

Top Bottom