***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT NORTHWESTERN IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I wouldn't be shocked if Northwestern goes deep into the NCAA Tournament. I think Northwestern is better than Indiana. Purdue is on another level but upsets do happen.

In this power ranking, I think Northwestern should be where Indiana is.

1-9 deserves no praise but where I'll push back is Northwestern in second place halfway through the conference season, and they just took us to the woodshed in every aspect of the game today. We've been competitive in a decent amount of our losses but we're not today. Think the board needs to show the Cats some respect their backcourt currently has the two leading scorers in league play. NW has wins over Sparty, Illinois, IU and Wisconsin, they can play.
NW is solid for sure, that said they are going to be in that 8-12 seed on the tournament, this isn't a juggernaut. This is also disheartening to me because this isn't a team that beats us simply due to natural talent. We lose by 30 to Purdue or a Michigan sometime that's just being outmatched talent wise. This team has good players but there is not nba talent or 5* guys. We got out coached and out schemed. And add that to terrible roster mgmt and below average talent screams that this coach isn't it.

FWIW - Reusse has a column on the Strib website.
Basically says Johnson is in a difficult situation.
(quoting)
Yet I continue to admire Johnson's lack of antics, lack of ref-baiting, lack of self-pity, for this reason:

He's up against it more than any coach in Gophers modern history, even Clem Haskins when he took over with a grievously depleted roster in 1986.

but what jumped out to me - here is the end of the article:

Johnson didn't bring this up, but it came from a media source and was confirmed elsewhere:

The NIL (Name, Image and Likeness) funding for Gophers men's basketball stands at $0.00. Richard Pitino's better off in Lobo Land, I'm guessing.
I continue to be surprised by Reusse and some of the other local and national sports writers who continue to treat Ben Johnson with kid gloves. Reusse actually seems to be talking people off the ledge in this article and some of his other posts. Since Clem left, Reusse has had a derogatory nickname and nothing but negative comments for every coach. Combine this with the fact that the GH crew as negative as I have every seen it and I am a bit puzzled. What does it mean?

NW is solid for sure, that said they are going to be in that 8-12 seed on the tournament, this isn't a juggernaut. This is also disheartening to me because this isn't a team that beats us simply due to natural talent. We lose by 30 to Purdue or a Michigan sometime that's just being outmatched talent wise. This team has good players but there is not nba talent or 5* guys. We got out coached and out schemed. And add that to terrible roster mgmt and below average talent screams that this coach isn't it.
We lost by four at Michigan. NW has two very good senior guards, which is what you want in college basketball you don't have to go to the NBA to be good. They'll be more like a 6-8 seed than 8-12. We also didn't have our best player yesterday. It's year two think you need to chill on the coach.

I continue to be surprised by Reusse and some of the other local and national sports writers who continue to treat Ben Johnson with kid gloves. Reusse actually seems to be talking people off the ledge in this article and some of his other posts. Since Clem left, Reusse has had a derogatory nickname and nothing but negative comments for every coach. Combine this with the fact that the GH crew as negative as I have every seen it and I am a bit puzzled. What does it mean?
I think it means that Reusse and other media members blame the state of Gopher basketball on the administration at the U and not on Coach Johnson, just as we do. You cannot possibly fault Ben for this, he's doing his best. But in hiring unqualified and unproven coaches, you sure CAN fault the administration that continues to treat Gopher men's hoops as if it's the red-headed stepchild of the entire athletic department.

I think it means that Reusse and other media members blame the state of Gopher basketball on the administration at the U and not on Coach Johnson, just as we do. You cannot possibly fault Ben for this, he's doing his best. But in hiring unqualified and unproven coaches, you sure CAN fault the administration that continues to treat Gopher men's hoops as if it's the red-headed stepchild of the entire athletic department.
Perfectly stated.

I agree on the administration being the primary problem (going back to the 70s) and CBJ doing his best. Still, there seems to be some optimism in the way Ben is patiently building the program. Maybe I am reading too much into it.

Of course.

Tubby first 2 years 17-19
Pitino first 2 years. 14-22
CJB first 2 years (?) 6-34 (assumes 1 more BT win this year)

Things don't look good. That said I do like the base of youth that Ben has recruited. That's the hope. Next year the attendance will be real bad until there are results. Season tickets will be down again by another 1000-1500 I'd guess and fans will have to be won back by performance on the floor.
Attendance could actually go up next year. Have you seen Evan's wingspan?

Attendance could actually go up next year. Have you seen Evan's wingspan?

Darn right he will sell tickets. I can't wait!

Yes!

Blocking a shot.
1674007180387.png

BOOM!

Dennis Evans: Generational Rim Protector | 2023 Recruiting Class​

1,271 views Dec 30, 2022 #NBADraft #Minnesota #GoldenGophers

The Minnesota Golden Gophers have struck gold with their incoming big man recruit, Dennis Evans. Evans is the 27th ranked player in the country according to 24/7 sports, making him the Golden Gophers highest ranked recruit since Royce White who was ranked 26th in 2009. Evans has turned heads this summer as the nation’s premier rim protection prospect (a generational one) and for good reason! He is 7’0” with a 7’7” wingspan!

1675028189464.png

1675028260924.png

Last edited:

We aren't firing the coach anytime soon and it isn't his fault. If you are a coach with no experience and you get a Big Ten offer for 2 million a year- you take it and do what you can- and Ben has done that. Most people are mad at the administration. All of us hope that next year is much, much better.
You are in for a surprise.

Ultimately if this doesn't get better next year, Coyle going to have a lot to explain, especially when more qualified candidates took other jobs at similar pay rates. I know Ben salary is last in the big ten but it's in the same ballpark as Craig Smith deal at Utah. And when I say get better I just mean be competitive in the league not expecting a 15 win turnaround. One thing you can't be is in the cellar three years in a row

Ultimately if this doesn't get better next year, Coyle going to have a lot to explain, especially when more qualified candidates took other jobs at similar pay rates. I know Ben salary is last in the big ten but it's in the same ballpark as Craig Smith deal at Utah. And when I say get better I just mean be competitive in the league not expecting a 15 win turnaround. One thing you can't be is in the cellar three years in a row
Next year -half way into the Big Ten season, if the fans don't think that we have any chance at an NCAA slot- then this is officially a train wreck. If on the other hand we are something like 4-6, 5-5 at this point, people will start to warm up some.

This is going to be a big offseason for Ben. He is going to have to get one or two new guards in the portal. He has to develop the frosh to take a big step up in their games. Payne an Ola Joseph need outside shots. Payne on his post moves. Henley on his midrange game. He has to figure out how to run an offense that effectively employs his 4s and 5s (many) in their areas of strength.

He can't be talking midyear about how some guys don't know the plays. That's on him.

Darn right he will sell tickets. I can't wait!

Yes!

Blocking a shot.
1674007180387.png

BOOM!

Dennis Evans: Generational Rim Protector | 2023 Recruiting Class​

1,271 views Dec 30, 2022 #NBADraft #Minnesota #GoldenGophers

The Minnesota Golden Gophers have struck gold with their incoming big man recruit, Dennis Evans. Evans is the 27th ranked player in the country according to 24/7 sports, making him the Golden Gophers highest ranked recruit since Royce White who was ranked 26th in 2009. Evans has turned heads this summer as the nation’s premier rim protection prospect (a generational one) and for good reason! He is 7’0” with a 7’7” wingspan!

View attachment 23521

View attachment 23522
It is accurate that if he increases ticket sales by 3, it’s still considered selling tickets. Valid statement

Ben Johnson has a chance to turn things around but I'd like to caution people who've assembled his roster for next year. NO ONE is guaranteed to return, or to enroll, especially in this free-for-all market. It's not something anyone wants to imagine but...things could actually get worse.

Due to severe ADD I go down rabbit holes based on posts. You mentioned not being in the cellar 3 years in a row so I decided to see when the last time that happened was! Its currently happening with Nebraska at 3 straight last place finishes (one was a tie!!) and prior to that Rutgers did it for 4 straight years.

One of those programs has it seemingly turned around now (Rutgers!!!!!) and the other is ahead of the Gophers but still pretty bad (Nebraska). Lets dive into Rutgers first.

Rutgers appears to have fired their head coach after back to back 14th place finishes. Steve Pikiell took over and proceeded to finish 14th and 14th, before jumping to 10th in 18-19. He finished 5th in 19-20 with no postseason of course (Covid) and placed 6th in 20-21 and 4th in 21-22. They currently sit in 5th with a very crowded standings. 8/14 teams have 5 or 6 wins. Hence, I will say Rutgers has turned it around. On the path to making a 3rd consecutive tourney and would have been 4th had Covid not canceled one of them.

Nebraska also fired a coach after a near last place finish (Tim Miles, 2018-19 season) despite him finishing 4th the season before. In came Fred Hoiberg who has done nothing to elevate that program. Hoiberg is 9-51 in the B1G in his first three seasons at the helm with a career best T-13th finish last season. I have not been paying attention BUT one has to assume Hoiberg's seat is very very hot. It is unlikely he finishes 14th this season but would 12th or 13th be enough to keep him employed in Lincoln? Time will tell. The lack of progress is an issue.

Why does any of this matter? It really doesnt aside from showing a few last place finishes can be turned around in a few years by the right coach. Pikiell didnt inherit a known winner. It isn't MSU or tOSU. Its Rutgers. He is winning at Rutgers. I know there is talent in that area but its RUTGERS. One of the historically bad departments in nearly every sport. It also shows a big name coach, one with history and a proven record may not be the answer at a lower level school as we see Hoiberg struggling mightily for GBR. If they move on from Hoiberg, they then give the next coach a few years to get out of the basement and onto the main floor. Let alone the pent house. Its a sad cycle.

Pitino never finished 14th in the conference but was a perennial participant of weakling wednesday. I think its splitting hairs to compare 14th to 13th and think 13th is a significantly better achievement. Johnson finishing bottom couple becomes an issue after next year. His recruiting will need to begin to pay dividends and he'll need to keep the team together to follow the Pikiell path. Without doing more research I will say I think the Hoiberg path of a perennial loser continuing to lose perennially is more common--especially for an unproven coach--but as our guy Bobby F wrote "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference." Hopefully Johnson takes whatever path it is that leads us to mediocrity or better.

Due to severe ADD I go down rabbit holes based on posts. You mentioned not being in the cellar 3 years in a row so I decided to see when the last time that happened was! Its currently happening with Nebraska at 3 straight last place finishes (one was a tie!!) and prior to that Rutgers did it for 4 straight years.

One of those programs has it seemingly turned around now (Rutgers!!!!!) and the other is ahead of the Gophers but still pretty bad (Nebraska). Lets dive into Rutgers first.

Rutgers appears to have fired their head coach after back to back 14th place finishes. Steve Pikiell took over and proceeded to finish 14th and 14th, before jumping to 10th in 18-19. He finished 5th in 19-20 with no postseason of course (Covid) and placed 6th in 20-21 and 4th in 21-22. They currently sit in 5th with a very crowded standings. 8/14 teams have 5 or 6 wins. Hence, I will say Rutgers has turned it around. On the path to making a 3rd consecutive tourney and would have been 4th had Covid not canceled one of them.

Nebraska also fired a coach after a near last place finish (Tim Miles, 2018-19 season) despite him finishing 4th the season before. In came Fred Hoiberg who has done nothing to elevate that program. Hoiberg is 9-51 in the B1G in his first three seasons at the helm with a career best T-13th finish last season. I have not been paying attention BUT one has to assume Hoiberg's seat is very very hot. It is unlikely he finishes 14th this season but would 12th or 13th be enough to keep him employed in Lincoln? Time will tell. The lack of progress is an issue.

Why does any of this matter? It really doesnt aside from showing a few last place finishes can be turned around in a few years by the right coach. Pikiell didnt inherit a known winner. It isn't MSU or tOSU. Its Rutgers. He is winning at Rutgers. I know there is talent in that area but its RUTGERS. One of the historically bad departments in nearly every sport. It also shows a big name coach, one with history and a proven record may not be the answer at a lower level school as we see Hoiberg struggling mightily for GBR. If they move on from Hoiberg, they then give the next coach a few years to get out of the basement and onto the main floor. Let alone the pent house. Its a sad cycle.

Pitino never finished 14th in the conference but was a perennial participant of weakling wednesday. I think its splitting hairs to compare 14th to 13th and think 13th is a significantly better achievement. Johnson finishing bottom couple becomes an issue after next year. His recruiting will need to begin to pay dividends and he'll need to keep the team together to follow the Pikiell path. Without doing more research I will say I think the Hoiberg path of a perennial loser continuing to lose perennially is more common--especially for an unproven coach--but as our guy Bobby F wrote "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference." Hopefully Johnson takes whatever path it is that leads us to mediocrity or better.
Hoiberg was known to not really enjoy the recruiting aspect of college basketball and I’m surprised Nebraska went with him. Yes he had a lot of success at Iowa St. but he was known to be a bit of a homebody in Ames, after all he was ‘the Mayor’. He hasn’t been able to work the transfers and portal to his advantage yet & I have to think they got him for his name as they opened the new arena hoping to catch lightning in the first few years.

Top Bottom