***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT IOWA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

I can't disagree more. The gap between the freshman/sophomore production and the senior production is growing all the time, making certain weaknesses all the greater because the opposition can continue to exploit those in otherwise competitive games. The freshman mistakes are much fewer and further between, and these aren't elite recruits. I'm so excited for the future, making watching upperclassmen woes all the more difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't disagree with much of what you say. How many minutes for Morris tonight?

Just once it would be nice for one of the veterans to step it up at the end of a close game.

Tough year but these freshmen next year are going to look really good.

I don't disagree with much of what you say. How many minutes for Morris tonight?

Good point. I think I'm using you as an outlet for my frustrations, which I try my best not to do on message boards. I'm also extremely frustrated with the streaming quality tonight. It's left me with a lot of time to complain on gopherhole.

How many moral victories are we up to now? About 8?

Good point. I think I'm using you as an outlet for my frustrations, which I try my best not to do on message boards. I'm also extremely frustrated with the streaming quality tonight. It's left me with a lot of time to complain on gopherhole.

Thanks, and no problem. Its a tough season, but one that could hold a lot of promise for the future.

Watched the game with my father-in-law, a Hawkeye fan. He was really disappointed in Iowa's defense. I think the alley-oops to Murphy actually sent the Hawkeyes into a defensive shock. They got out of their defensive rhythm. That's a good move on the Gophers part.

I was impressed with playing the big men when they were in foul trouble. There was an aggressiveness, okay, an assertiveness in the paint that was missing up to this point.

We still need to make adjustments when other teams catch on to us. Once Iowa figured out how to defend our guards driving through the paint, we got lost and went to 3 point hot potato.

This game showed improvement, but I still have the specter of backsliding hanging around.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I think this team is improving and especially on the offensive side. Proud of how they are continuing to battle.

Fun stat of the night:

Iowa's upperclassmen scored a combined 69 points tonight. They shot 7 of 18 beyond the arch.
Minnesota's upperclassmen over the past 5 games combined have scored a total of 69 points. In those five games King, Buggs, and Morris combined to shoot 7 of 41 from beyond the arch.

Fun stat of the night:

Iowa's upperclassmen scored a combined 69 points tonight. They shot 7 of 18 beyond the arch.
Minnesota's upperclassmen over the past 5 games combined have scored a total of 69 points. In those five games King, Buggs, and Morris combined to shoot 7 of 41 from beyond the arch.

Thats not fun at all.... I was excited when I started reading that....

post game 1500......coach.....we fought, free throws bad, young guys starting to step up....really proud of these guys......per Spencer konate played physical 9 rebounds but only 5 pts. ........coach....proud of these guys i know it's cliche......spence....did a good job of attacking the basket second half.......Spencer's Silver Lining........Mn controlled the glass!!!!

Thats not fun at all.... I was excited when I started reading that....

Sorry, meant "fun" in a sarcastic way.

But at the same time, it reiterates how little help we get from the older guys and how much of this team is the freshman and sophomores right now.

56% of our points tonight came from freshman.

This is one where I am okay with it. On the road against #4, a team that is full of seniors. They played very hard.

Agreed. This was a pretty good effort. There were some lapses but the defense was there the substantial majority of the night. This team actually has developed into a pretty good defensive team in the last month or so.

Thought we played pretty well tonight against a good veteran team. The reffing was pretty bad tonight. There wasn't any consistency in calls especially when driving to the hoop where it seemed like we couldn't get a call for most of the game. Thought Iowa definitely got the benefit of a few calls just to name a few there were a couple where Uthoff was barely touched at all and got a couple free throws out of it there was a 3 pointer I think it was Jok got away with a big time travel in the 1st half. Freshmen were solid again, Mason is the leader of this team and was solid but really played well in the 2nd half, King was physical at times on d which was nice to see, Buggs and Konate both had their moments both good and bad, and Morris didn't play much which was the right call based on what he did in his little time on the court. Nice to see McBrayer, Gilbert, and Dorsey each knock down some 3 pointers and none of the 3 really took a lot of them although there were a couple that I thought Gilbert kinda force and rush. Murphy was solid and will keep getting better one thing I think that he struggles a little with right now is finishing with his left hand at the rim. Lots of open looks for King tonight but he really struggled, if he had just an average 3 point shooting night with all the open looks we win that game by 6+.

When Utoff beat Murphy for that put back and one that was a major freshman vs senior moment. Murph got completely overpowered and out smarted. Hope coach shows it in film and makes him watch it over and over, was a big big big moment and Murph simply didn't box out.

In 2 years, that will never happen to him (we hope), he'll be doing that to others.

Over the course of the year they have begun to clean up some defensive issues, effort issues and they are keeping the turnovers low. They are even rebounding better. Now the major problem that remains is shooting the ball. That will improve for all of these guys next year. It's not the year we wanted, but the development is happening and the coach definitely has not lost the squad. Good signs.

Over the course of the year they have begun to clean up some defensive issues, effort issues and they are keeping the turnovers low. They are even rebounding better. Now the major problem that remains is shooting the ball. That will improve for all of these guys next year. It's not the year we wanted, but the development is happening and the coach definitely has not lost the squad. Good signs.

Agree. Gotta stay the course and see this through. I love wins as much as anyone but gotta see the big picture.

Sometimes the hardest thing for a team to do is to learn how to win. When the game is on the line, someone needs to come through and make a play. So far, this team has showed it's good enough to stay in games, but not good enough to win close games.

The real key to this team's development will be learning to win those close games. And that means someone has to become the go-to player in the clutch. It would ideal if Mason proves to be that person, because you'd like to have a guard handling the ball and making free throws down the stretch.

Of course, next year will be a different looking team with 3 FR and two transfers. It's possible one of the new players will be that go-to person next year, but that's hard to predict until we actually see them play, and see how they fit in with the returning players.

The real key to this team's development will be learning to win those close games. And that means someone has to become the go-to player in the clutch. It would ideal if Mason proves to be that person, because you'd like to have a guard handling the ball and making free throws down the stretch.

Yes, and Iowa has two of them, but I don't know if Mason will ever be that guy. Murphy seems to have some of that mental perspective and McBrayer might too after a little more development.

Yes, and Iowa has two of them, but I don't know if Mason will ever be that guy. Murphy seems to have some of that mental perspective and McBrayer might too after a little more development.
Dorsey seemed to be showing a lot of that tonight, too.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm not saying this as a homer, but this was a terrible game to watch as a basketball fan in general. There was absolutely no flow to the game at all. I don't think there was three consecutive possessions in a row where there wasnt a foul called. Refs decided it was gonna be a tight called game, almost thought TV Teddy was doing the game with the amount of whistles blown. Personally felt that that's the reason the Gophs were in the game cause Utohoff and Iowa couldn't get rythmn to blow us out. Iowa won cause of Jok's heavy lifting and clutchness!

I'm not saying this as a homer, but this was a terrible game to watch as a basketball fan in general. There was absolutely no flow to the game at all. I don't think there was three consecutive possessions in a row where there wasnt a foul called. Refs decided it was gonna be a tight called game, almost thought TV Teddy was doing the game with the amount of whistles blown. Personally felt that that's the reason the Gophs were in the game cause Utohoff and Iowa couldn't get rythmn to blow us out. Iowa won cause of Jok's heavy lifting and clutchness!

The way the U attacks the basket they are going to get a lot of calls. The big reason the U was able to hang in close was that they finally started to box out and get some rebounds. Also, we are fairly quick on defense and that can slow down the opponents flow.

Top Bottom