***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT INDIANA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Do you guys see much of an improved offensive system compared to Pitino? To my eye, it just seems like the same ol stuff.
Willis struggles against teams that have quicker guards, it's tougher for him to control the flow and get into their offensive sets, played hard in the second half though, there aren't going to be any pencil in wins this year, every game is going to be tough, they have to find a way to win a couple here and there.

OK tough guy. Educate me. How is this offense different from last year.

Someone else already did. I'm sure you'll have a lot of positive things to say though in your time here.

Nobody expected the team to Win like it did up until IL.

Odds of this current team (injuries included) making some miracle run was slightly better than winning the lottery.

this team has still overachieved which is a testament to the staff.

We’ll get better

Really! And your first post obviously had to be brilliant. At least I’m your mind.

So you don't find any irony in a brand-new poster with the name "Allshade" coming onto a game thread right after a loss to complain that the offense hasn't changed since last year?

Also, my first post was in January 1997, so I have no clue what it said 25 years later. I was also about 19 then, so it was probably pretty great. 😅

Someone else already did. I'm sure you'll have a lot of positive things to say though in your time her
I think everything they've accomplished thus far is amazing. Ben seems like a great guy and leader. They play their asses off.. And Pitino seemed below average. I just don't see a much different offense. Probably cause they only have two scorers. I love my Gophers as much as you. I hope you have a good day.
Someone else already did. I'm sure you'll have a lot of positive things to say though in your time here

Yes I do, they play their own pace and slow the game down. This team isn't even close to as athletic as Pitino's least atheltic team.
Would like to see them slow it down even more. There were a few groups fast-breaks that had little impact on the score but you could see how gassed the players were after it. Indiana began rotating players to keep them fresh.

The bottom line is that Johnson will need to find a way to make sure the players have enough left in their legs at the end of the half/regulation for them to make shots (and defensive intensity).

Well...we haven't won in Assembly Hall in over a decade..so I didn't expect to win. (I don't expect to win most B1G games.)
I did like how we started. I also like how we came back in the beginning of the 2nd half.
In both losses the lack of post position depth has been obvious. The incapacity to guard low post without doubling and thus giving up open shots elsewhere makes it tough on this team.
That being said, Curry and Daniels are giving us their best. It's just their best is not equal to the players they are matched up with.
I love this teams compete factor. They don't quit and they compete to the end. I will keep cheering this team on and I will keep hoping those young kids in year one are improving in practice for next year.

Hey, the non-conference was fun. unexpected success is always fun.

now, reality is setting in.

Make no mistake - I am firmly behind Ben Johnson and I think he will do good things with this program.

but this season was always going to be a "just get through it" affair.

for all the things this team does well, in most B1G games, the other team will have more athletes and better athletes. if the Gophers play their "A" game, they have a chance to win some of those games.

They didn't play their "A" game against Indiana.

There has to be a 3rd scoring threat. Some games that has been Sutherlin. Don't know if it's the ankle, but he has been non-existent the last couple of games. And Loewe can't have a game like today where he is a complete non-factor on offense.

So, I am not disappointed. it was a competitive game.

The problem with Loewe today is not that he was a non-factor. It's that he was an extreme negative factor. He can't shoot. Usually he only shoots when very open and is smart about it. Today for some reason he took several terrible shots that had no chance and killed possessions.

Hey, the non-conference was fun. unexpected success is always fun.

now, reality is setting in.

Make no mistake - I am firmly behind Ben Johnson and I think he will do good things with this program.

but this season was always going to be a "just get through it" affair.

for all the things this team does well, in most B1G games, the other team will have more athletes and better athletes. if the Gophers play their "A" game, they have a chance to win some of those games.

They didn't play their "A" game against Indiana.

There has to be a 3rd scoring threat. Some games that has been Sutherlin. Don't know if it's the ankle, but he has been non-existent the last couple of games. And Loewe can't have a game like today where he is a complete non-factor on offense.

So, I am not disappointed. it was a competitive game.
As long as next season is not a just get through it as well. No excuses. Win.

As long as next season is not a just get through it as well. No excuses. Win.
Expectations for next year will be raised but we still won't be in the win at all costs territory in year 2 under a new coach.

Right now, our Gophers are about what I hoped they would be. My expectations aren't particularly high for them, but I do like what I see from this group in terms of work ethic, attitude and teamwork. If everything goes right, they can win some games. But if a couple of things go wrong, they're in some trouble-like today. Right now, this team has come to the point where it needs to be able to find another gear and continue to grow. *Actually, I'm pretty sure that every coach in the Big Ten is telling their team that we've come to the point in the season where we need to start making strides and being better than we are right now* I'm guessing the Indiana coaches told their team in the locker room after the game "Nice win, but we let an undermanned team back into a game that we had under control. Can't let that happen, good teams will make us pay for that!".

As for as next year, I'm not so sure they'll be significantly better in terms of possible win/loss record. That's mainly because I think, with all the new freshmen, who I expect could account for 50% of the minutes right off the bat, there will be a huge learning curve. They might be a little young to consistently win next season. Obviously, a couple of high quality, experienced transfers could change that.

However, I'm actually looking the 23-24 season to be the big turnaround. You'll have Battle and Ihnen? and Fox? as seniors and this nice freshman class with a year of Big Ten play under their belt, plus hopefully another freshman recruit who comes in ready to contribute right away. That's actually the season that I'm looking for a big difference in wins and losses.

Expectations for next year will be raised but we still won't be in the win at all costs territory in year 2 under a new coach.
No one said anything about win at all costs. Good grief.
Mn coach will not be new next season. Stop lowering expectations and making excuses.

No one said anything about win at all costs. Good grief.
Mn coach will not be new next season. Stop lowering expectations.
Sorry should have said we won't be in the No Excuses, Win territory in year 2 under a new coach.

Right now, our Gophers are about what I hoped they would be. My expectations aren't particularly high for them, but I do like what I see from this group in terms of work ethic, attitude and teamwork. If everything goes right, they can win some games. But if a couple of things go wrong, they're in some trouble-like today. Right now, this team has come to the point where it needs to be able to find another gear and continue to grow. *Actually, I'm pretty sure that every coach in the Big Ten is telling their team that we've come to the point in the season where we need to start making strides and being better than we are right now* I'm guessing the Indiana coaches told their team in the locker room after the game "Nice win, but we let an undermanned team back into a game that we had under control. Can't let that happen, good teams will make us pay for that!".

As for as next year, I'm not so sure they'll be significantly better in terms of possible win/loss record. That's mainly because I think, with all the new freshmen, who I expect could account for 50% of the minutes right off the bat, there will be a huge learning curve. They might be a little young to consistently win next season. Obviously, a couple of high quality, experienced transfers could change that.

However, I'm actually looking the 23-24 season to be the big turnaround. You'll have Battle and Ihnen? and Fox? as seniors and this nice freshman class with a year of Big Ten play under their belt, plus hopefully another freshman recruit who comes in ready to contribute right away. That's actually the season that I'm looking for a big difference in wins and losses.

Great post. You're probably correct, and your expectations are reasonable.

However, the Gopher homer in me thinks CBJ can sell his philosophy to higher-profile transfers for next season. If he can snag a true PG, a center, and another SG with high bball IQs and a tad more athletic, I think the ceiling could be much higher than this year.

We already have some solid pieces in Battle (All-BIG caliber), Fox, and Inhen.

I would love to see Curry another year as an 18-23 minute/game center, and potentially Sutherlin in a similar role as this year.

Sprinkle in the 2022 class and freshman this year, and you have 8-9 guys who can contribute and underclassmen who grow as the season unfolds.

The key will be depth and not having a massive drop-off after the 6th man. That will be our demise nearly every loss this year.

I think the days of getting outcoached are over. We just need the depth to execute for 40 minutes.

Battle has been great. Fox hasn’t played and II, who i really like, will be coming off injury. And, his shooting would really have to improve.

Top Bottom