***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT ILLINOIS BOUNCE-BACK IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I'm out. Iowa State is close to beating Texas. Channel changed.

Last year we lost turnover battle 2-0; this year 3-0. Like our defense a lot but we rarely get turnovers. Great defenses force turnovers.

Not sure I would fire Rossi?
2 weeks ago we were worried about losing him. He's not going anywhere. Neither is KC. But our lack of skill position talent not named Mo Ibraham is alarming. We must recruit better.

Bielema's job of rebuilding Illinois may be the fastest rise of any BT team in decades. Even Barry Alvarez took five years, Hayden Fry three. This is not the first time a seemingly good Minnesota team has been ambushed in Illinois. The tradition goes way back,
To do what? Win the big ten?
Did Illinois win the big ten and I missed it?

Bielema's job of rebuilding Illinois may be the fastest rise of any BT team in decades. Even Barry Alvarez took five years, Hayden Fry three. This is not the first time a seemingly good Minnesota team has been ambushed in Illinois. The tradition goes way back,
Last year was an ambush. This was a better team kicking our @ss.

Well it sucks. But I can't deal with all negativity here

Sucks this isn't the team we thought it was. Not sure where to go from here

Catch you guys later..

Bert sucked big time at Arkansas, and he wasn’t any better at Wisconsin than others around him. He has caught some crazy lightning in a bottle here at Illinois but let’s not pretend he is that great.
He went to the Rose Bowl is last three years straight. One losing B10 season. Agree his best year was his first, but three Rose Bowls in a row is pretty impressive. Agree he sucked at Arkansas.

Obviously another frustrating performance after the Purdue game two weeks ago. They had all the information on how Illinois is winning games by executing the exact same gameplan the Gophers want to execute. Control the LOS on both sides of the ball, don't give up big plays and control the tempo/clock.

The defense hasn't been awful today despite giving up north of 450 yards. They have contained Brown to under 4.5 ypc despite him averaging nearly 6 ypc coming in. His longest run of the day has been 17 yards. Their biggest issues are in pass coverage and not getting off the field on 3rd and 4th down as Illinois has 10 successful conversions. They gave themselves a chance to win the game assuming the offense could be above average.

We've seen this offensive performance play out in virtually all of their losses the past 2 years. Tanner is a game manager who can make good throws on occassion but you don't want him throwing 20+ times a game as it usually means bad things. Today, they couldn't even muster 25 yards of passing offense. With or without Tanner next week, I imagine PSU rolls. The remaining 5 games after that are all winnable and it sure would be nice to finally beat Iowa.

The Gophers obviously need a legitimate dual threat QB or an elite pocket passer (easier said than done) if they ever want to take the next step and compete for bigger bowls/playoffs.

Chase Brown is talented.. but most of his good runs today have been wide open runs. Seems like we schemed wrong against them.
yeah could be scheme or just really good Oline play. Gophers linebacks seems to make very few plays, while the Gopher safeties were saving touchdowns.

It was a big ask for this Oline to not have a big drop off from last year while replacing 4 of 5 starters. The right side just is not there yet.

I have seen more disappointing games as a long time Gopher fan. I give Illinois a lot of credit, but it truly was a reality check and all we can hope for is the team to improve and hopefully it starts next week with a upset win.

Need to find some players who can provide some pass rush... and it's time to find some players who want to catch the football.

Making a bowl game is probably the most realistic goal at this point.

Dreaming big has The Axe staying home and Floyd coming home.

I'm overreacting in the heat of the moment. I'm sorry. I'm mad my team sucked today.

Edit: I mean he did throw 2 picks, not loving that.
The timing on that 2nd pick was priceless. I had just finished typing that post. I still hit “post reply” but thought twice about it.
GO Gophers!

Illinois offense drives:
9 plays TD
3 and out
15 plays FG
19 plays FG
7 plays TD
3 and out
15 plays FG
14 plays FG
4 plays punt
1 play end of game

Morgan sucks...We need a better Quarterback!

the better team won.

playing better teams has exposed weaknesses in the Gophers.

Season is not over. now you're playing for the best possible bowl game and to win as many games as possible.

up to coaches and players to figure some things out. we'll see how effective they can be.

Most telling stat. Illinois 82 plays Gophers 38 plays. Damn.
This was the tale of the game. Illinois played keep away football. Our defense was in third and long quite a bit and couldn't convert stops. Offense could not sustain drives. Just A bad football fame all around. Not much fun watching this game.

Well on to next week
Well it sucks. But I can't deal with all negativity here

Sucks this isn't the team we thought it was. Not sure where to go from here

Catch you guys later..
This is what is so frustrating for me

Top Bottom