Official "Matt Limegrover is NOT a D1 Offensive Coordinator" thread

Gopher028

Reaction score
Offesive Coordinator/Offensive Line coach/Play caller.

I know we have injuries, but year 5 and this is the WORST O-line i've ever seen the Gophers have,
even during the Brew years... play calling is stale, dull and flat terrible, and (yes I know...)

ZERO JET SWEEPS!!!!!!!!!!!! why?!!?!?!?!?

Is it Limey? Kill hampering him? Something else? What is it?!?!?!
I know people hate bringing this up, but I really miss Mason's offenses (tho, not his defenses).

yep, he has to take over play calling. this is his team, this seriously can't go on.

I actually think he's handcuffing Limey, maybe?

Look back when Kill was out with his medical issue, Claeys was the interim HC, and Limey had to answer to no one.
Vs Penn State, vs Nebraska, our offense was balanced, strong, spread, fast. When Kill officially came back to coach the
bowl game vs Syracuse, we were back to 'between the tackles or deep down the field, incomplete passes).

Yep, limegrover sucks, but kill definetely has a part in this.

Zero creativity, not even close to a B10 level. A new play caller needs to be named this week.

This is on Kill now.

Yeah. Please people do not think that Limegrover is the one calling Smith up the middle 30 straight times. That type of strategy is from higher up. This offense has so many problems right now, and someone put in the game thread that Kill was in survival mode in the 3rd quarter, and I think that was right. As long as we held the lead and the offense or special teams didn't f up, there was no way they were going to score on our D. So to them it was probably a bigger risk to get creative. It's pathetic we are in the spot, but you gotta love our D.

Look back when Kill was out with his medical issue, Claeys was the interim HC, and Limey had to answer to no one.
Vs Penn State, vs Nebraska, our offense was balanced, strong, spread, fast. When Kill officially came back to coach the
bowl game vs Syracuse, we were back to 'between the tackles or deep down the field, incomplete passes).

I'm inclined to agree

We just beat KENT STATE by 3 points...... WE SCORED 10 points.... an uncoached Illinois team beat them by 50.

I know this is controversial, but we need to hire Glen Mason as our offensive coordinator. I know he'd take it, it's better
than his commentary on BTN LIVE gig. And I REALLY REALLY REALLY miss his offenses. I wouldn't get rid of Kill, no way,
but Limegrover is also our O-line coach, and this is the worst O-line i've ever seen..... straight ahead blocking? No shifts,
schemes, pulls?

(maybe it's the "Gophers will win the west" curse Dienhart put on us) I don't know... i'm just pissed.

But shame on the offense (coaches and players) for not being able to score more on Kent State, even with terrible play calling. As a B1G team playing a bad MAC team, our talent should still enable us score at least 24 points.

Perhaps all of our RUTM has to do with the TE/OT injuries we've had lately.

Or... Claeys made Limegrover open it up more. I guess we will never know which case it was, but I'm pretty sure Limegrover draws up the plays and it's evident that we have the most standard vanilla plays.

It has to be harder for Limegrover when his QB can't make even the simple throws, much less those that require timing or arm strength. I think Leidner just limits so much what he has available to him.

Official "Matt Limegrover is NOT a D1 Offensive Coordinator" thread

I haven't trashed Limey before, but today was terrible. Play calling was atrocious and so was the OL. RUTM against 8/9 in the box.

Not sure if this is a Limey offense or Kill offense.......it's now yr 5 and it is VERY OBVIOUS it is not a major conference offense.

If this offense is still here next year I will have lost faith in this staff.

I've wondered about this too...but it also coincided with Nelson's best games as a Gopher. Cause and effect or coincidence?

It has to be harder for Limegrover when his QB can't make even the simple throws, much less those that require timing or arm strength. I think Leidner just limits so much what he has available to him.

So what's stopping Limegrover from running 5-10 Jet Sweeps a game? Even with his 'worst qb ever', that play
got us 7-15 yards a pop the previous two season? This has yet to be explained to me..

I have been saying that he isn't up to par for an OC for years. He owes everything to Kill. He may be a great guy. May be even a decent OL coach... but he's over his head as an OC.

It's as if he just doesn't know what to call during the game, so he just goes to the 10 that he picked during the week. And even if the other team adjusts to those 10 plays, he still calls them no matter what.

So what's stopping Limegrover from running 5-10 Jet Sweeps a game? Even with his 'worst qb ever', <b>that play got us 7-15 yards a pop the previous two season</b>? This has yet to be explained to me..

oh did it, now?

Pink jerseys for the offense in practice this coming week. This was a total offensive team effort. Limey can wear a pink golf shirt. Let them remember this pathetic effort so it doesn't happen again.

Memo to Coach: LSU vs. Auburn at the half 7/10 passing for 40 yards 27 rushes for 267. Leading 24-0. Go back the basics and run the ball.

When didn't it? Other than the only two times we ran it in the Bowl game vs 'cuse to
Isaac Fruechte instead of D. Jones?

So your position is that only twice in the last 2 seasons did the jet sweep not net at least 7-yards?

I know this is controversial, but we need to hire Glen Mason as our offensive coordinator. I know he'd take it, it's better
than his commentary on BTN LIVE gig.

A) Stop drinking
B) He has turned down opportunities to be a head coach
C) Stop drinking
D) Flying to Chicago once a week and then calling a game on Saturday for big bucks is better than an OC job
E) Stop drinking
F) He has not been an OC since 1985. Talk about a fall from grace
G) Stop drinking.

How in the world are people surprised at this after this many years?

This is what this staff does, and has always done; tip toe through the non-conference, don't show a damn thing offensively, get out of the game without significant injury, and prepare for B1G conference play.

O-Line had a really bad day, particularly Campion (which is concerning). (-3) in the Turnover category will get you a loss about 95% of the time.

They put up a stinker after draining games against TCU and on the road in Fort Collins, and overlooked a team that lost 52-3 last week. I'm not completely shocked.

But I guess we'll continue to react to non-conference games like this the same way every year...

How in the world are people surprised at this after this many years? This is what this staff does, and has always done; tip toe through the non-conference, don't show a damn thing offensively, get out of the game without significant injury, and prepare for B1G conference play. O-Line had a really bad day, particularly Campion (which is concerning). (-3) in the Turnover category will get you a loss about 95% of the time. They put up a stinker after draining games against TCU and on the road in Fort Collins, and overlooked a team that lost 52-3 last week. I'm not completely shocked. But I guess we'll continue to react to non-conference games like this the same way every year...

That's the one thing giving me some hope. Last year in the NC we were very vanilla as well and opened it up in the B1G. I am hopeful the same works out this year too.

They will lose every B10 game with this Offense!

No playmakers, no OL, no creativity, no QB.....The D will keep them in many games, but they will get tired from being on the field so much and eventually succumb....If I was Claeys i would be questioning my long time friend right now.

How in the world are people surprised at this after this many years?

This is what this staff does, and has always done; tip toe through the non-conference, don't show a damn thing offensively, get out of the game without significant injury, and prepare for B1G conference play.

O-Line had a really bad day, particularly Campion (which is concerning). (-3) in the Turnover category will get you a loss about 95% of the time.

They put up a stinker after draining games against TCU and on the road in Fort Collins, and overlooked a team that lost 52-3 last week. I'm not completely shocked.

But I guess we'll continue to react to non-conference games like this the same way every year...

All true Ogee. Only would say that this is the first year, in my memory at least, where Kill time has said that they were planning on throwing the ball, DID throw the ball (a LOT) and haven't looked good at it. Even talked about and showed a hurry-up version of the Offense.

Prior to this year people always posted "Don't worry. They're only showing enough to get the job done. They'll start throwing it around once the BiG Ten Season starts and THEN we'll find out what kind of Offense they'll have".

We did. Question is do we know now? Hope not.

All true Ogee. Only would say that this is the first year, in my memory at least, where Kill time has said that they were planning on throwing the ball, DID throw the ball (a LOT) and haven't looked good at it. Even talked about and showed a hurry-up version of the Offense.

We did. Question is do we know now? Hope not.

I'm more concerned about just plain stupid mistakes. I'm no offensive guru or elite football mind but today stands out to me as one of the worst games this team has played in a while when it comes to just plain missed assignments; FB runs right past the first defender to the second defender, tackle for loss; Campion was really, really bad for a guy with his experience. Penalties. Turnovers. You name it.

Playcalling is the least of my concerns at this point. They ran the plays they were going to run, regardless of the situation. End of story.

But if you're pissed the Gophers didn't win by 35 points, you haven't been watching this team for very long. Look at the NC games over the last 2-3 years; they don't blow out teams in the NC. Period. They don't give a sh!t about style points. They're laying the foundation for conference play.

Don't get me wrong, they looked like sh!t. Mistakes, penalties, and missed assignments. The O-Tackle position is a mess right now and that IS a very real concern.

Top Bottom