***OFFICIAL GOPHERS VS MARYLAND IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Could I inquire where you found that stat?

Personal observation with the aid if a DVR. I started tracking it when Pitino pulled Buggs for letting his man hit a 3 in the 1st half. One of 7 3's in the first half I believe.

I say next year they should schedule more cupcakes away and learn how to win on the road.

Hi all, this is my first post here, so take it easy on me. :)

Was at the game today (albeit in the nosebleed seats!) and just thought I'd share a few observations:

Maryland fans are annoying and apparently have no interest in being in the Big Ten. There was a big poster on every seat with a bunch of Big Ten info on it and after the Gopher introductions, everyone around me crumpled it up and threw it as far as they could. They also were absolutely silent when one of their players appeared on the big screen pumping the Big Ten season starting. Once the game actually started, though, it was LOUD. And the fans were just obnoxious, booing loudly every single call against them, even when they were good calls, and booing even more when they didn't get calls (even when they were good no-calls). Sure, the refs were inconsistent, but I think our fans are at least knowledgeable enough to acknowledge when a good call goes against us and not complain.

I haven't been to many away games (only at Iowa and Northwestern and the latter is a dump), but the arena felt more like an NBA one than a college one. We couldn't even tell where the student section was from where we were sitting and while the band was there, I can't recall it even playing. Give me Williams Arena any day.

As for the game itself, I was pleasantly surprised that we managed to stay within about 10 most of the second half - it easily could have spiraled out of control and been a 20-25 point loss. The 13-0 run in the first half was great and I felt like the guys really toughened up on defense. Even in the second half, it seemed like Maryland was constantly running short on the shot clock, being forced into a shot with 2-3 seconds left - problem was, when they missed, they got the rebound and started all over. The killer was all the missed shots and free throws - 10 missed FTs, that's almost the whole difference right there. While it was a disappointing loss, I felt worse after the Purdue loss. I hope they'll learn from this and make adjustments and I'm still optimistic for the rest of the season (but we do really need to win the next one!).

Welcome to GH lawgopher01! Good post.

I have heard that Maryland's arena is more NBA-like, which I'm never a fan of, and I agree that the Purdue loss was more disheartening as road Big Ten wins are hard to come by for our program outside of 1997.

Go Gophers!!

Was at the game today (albeit in the nosebleed seats!) and just thought I'd share a few observations:

Maryland fans are annoying and apparently have no interest in being in the Big Ten. There was a big poster on every seat with a bunch of Big Ten info on it and after the Gopher introductions, everyone around me crumpled it up and threw it as far as they could. They also were absolutely silent when one of their players appeared on the big screen pumping the Big Ten season starting. Once the game actually started, though, it was LOUD. And the fans were just obnoxious, booing loudly every single call against them, even when they were good calls, and booing even more when they didn't get calls (even when they were good no-calls). Sure, the refs were inconsistent, but I think our fans are at least knowledgeable enough to acknowledge when a good call goes against us and not complain.

I haven't been to many away games (only at Iowa and Northwestern and the latter is a dump), but the arena felt more like an NBA one than a college one. We couldn't even tell where the student section was from where we were sitting and while the band was there, I can't recall it even playing. Give me Williams Arena any day.

As for the game itself, I was pleasantly surprised that we managed to stay within about 10 most of the second half - it easily could have spiraled out of control and been a 20-25 point loss. The 13-0 run in the first half was great and I felt like the guys really toughened up on defense. Even in the second half, it seemed like Maryland was constantly running short on the shot clock, being forced into a shot with 2-3 seconds left - problem was, when they missed, they got the rebound and started all over. The killer was all the missed shots and free throws - 10 missed FTs, that's almost the whole difference right there. While it was a disappointing loss, I felt worse after the Purdue loss. I hope they'll learn from this and make adjustments and I'm still optimistic for the rest of the season (but we do really need to win the next one!).

Welcome to the board! Thanks for posting and giving your 1st hand experience of what happened. I look forward to reading more of your posts! :)

Hi all, this is my first post here, so take it easy on me. :) Was at the game today (albeit in the nosebleed seats!) and just thought I'd share a few observations: Maryland fans are annoying and apparently have no interest in being in the Big Ten. There was a big poster on every seat with a bunch of Big Ten info on it and after the Gopher introductions, everyone around me crumpled it up and threw it as far as they could. They also were absolutely silent when one of their players appeared on the big screen pumping the Big Ten season starting. Once the game actually started, though, it was LOUD. And the fans were just obnoxious, booing loudly every single call against them, even when they were good calls, and booing even more when they didn't get calls (even when they were good no-calls). Sure, the refs were inconsistent, but I think our fans are at least knowledgeable enough to acknowledge when a good call goes against us and not complain. I haven't been to many away games (only at Iowa and Northwestern and the latter is a dump), but the arena felt more like an NBA one than a college one. We couldn't even tell where the student section was from where we were sitting and while the band was there, I can't recall it even playing. Give me Williams Arena any day. As for the game itself, I was pleasantly surprised that we managed to stay within about 10 most of the second half - it easily could have spiraled out of control and been a 20-25 point loss. The 13-0 run in the first half was great and I felt like the guys really toughened up on defense. Even in the second half, it seemed like Maryland was constantly running short on the shot clock, being forced into a shot with 2-3 seconds left - problem was, when they missed, they got the rebound and started all over. The killer was all the missed shots and free throws - 10 missed FTs, that's almost the whole difference right there. While it was a disappointing loss, I felt worse after the Purdue loss. I hope they'll learn from this and make adjustments and I'm still optimistic for the rest of the season (but we do really need to win the next one!).

Great post!

The MD point guard reminded me of Tre Burke. He looks like he's about 15lbs away from being NBA ready. Was he as impressive live as he was on TV?

Think I'm correct.....You have to go back 77 games to the 2012-13 season against North Florida to find a worse 3-pt shooting game, percentage wise. Gophers were 1-13 in that one and 3-22 in this one.

So quickly people forget Joey's performance against Purdue.

Yeah, he's not an ideal starting PF in the BT, but he's most certainly not better off playing sf. He's able to sneak out and hit threes against big guys. Let's not take away his most important role on the team by putting him on the perimeter against quicker guys who he won't be able to guard and who will press up on him to prevent his threes.

As long as Melo sticks around a couple years, I'll be surprised if he isn't player of the year or at least top 3 in votes. He plays the game with such ease and poise. This Maryland team would be average in the BT without him. Seems like Turgeon would definitely be in trouble without him.

Hi there Gophers, Terp fan here. Just a quick response to this plus a few nuggets.

The paper tossing is a tradition at Maryland. For the last 20 years, students hold up newspapers when the other team is announced, then throw them forward when it's done. It has nothing to do with disinterest or disrespect with the Big 10.

Yes, the fans boo'ed quite a bit. I don't think it was bad, but it was in response to the calls like most arenas do. The Big 10 Refs have been surprisingly disappointing so far, even fouling out our big man Dodd with 4 fouls against Michigan State. We are used to getting hosed by Duke and Carolina refs and hoped the Big 10 provided a clean slate. (the crowd will get nastier as the New York/New Jersey students return to campus. they got some attitude, but this crowd literally was a bunch of boy scout troops).

There really is no student section now because of winter break. Most colleges are enduring this right now. It was a very good, loud crowd that shows the re-found enthusiasm for Maryland basketball, respect for a team like Minnesota, and enthusiasm about the Big 10. It was a fun atmosphere.

All that said, good luck to the Gophers. Minnesota and Maryland seem fairly comparable on athletic and academic levels. Personally, Minneapolis is an awesome city and I can't wait to see a Terps game there. One of the nicest downtown areas in america with some great golf nearby (plus n. woods etc. of course). Your hoops team will make the tournament easily. Once #15 (beast) and #11 get on the same page, you can beat anybody in the country (except KY like everybody else). Good luck!

Make the tournament easily? After an 0-2 start? With at best (generously) 1 quality win 15 games into the season? Wish I had your confidence. Gophers will beat OSU, though, of that I'm sure.

Just going by talent. Big man is as good as anyone. #11 looks to have all big-10 talent if he settles down a bit. Of course, it's been so long since Maryland was a tournament team, I forgot what one looks like so your skepticism is warranted.

Terp fan here - have to clarify a bunch of things from your post. First, by and large most Terp fans are very happy with the B1G. It was a shock to the system at first and took a little time to settle in but the quality of academic institutions, tradition and great teams across so many sports make the league very appealing. Plus no Carolina-centric bias. As to the newspapers held up during your team introduction - that is a tradition several decades old - students pretend to read a newspaper rather than focus on the opposing team intro. They also all used to crumble up the paper and toss onto the court but that part of the tradition has mostly died down due to complaints by refs/opposing teams. Since this was the first home B1G game the university put that commemorative newspaper on every seat - so if a few were crumbled and thrown, it had nothing to do with the content of the papers.

As for the arena, perhaps the reason you couldn't identify the student section easily is because students are on winter break and many of those seats were undoubtedly sold as general admission. Students wrap three sides including that steep wall behind the basket. If you thought it was loud on January 3rd, wait until a few weeks later.

As for the fans being obnoxious, booing and lacking knowledge of the game...well that pretty much sums up every fan base in the eyes of opposing fans. The message boards are packed with virtually those same comments. As if somehow, magically the fans of one school are smarter, less emotional/more rational, and more pleasant than those of the opposing school.

Anyway, we look forward to competing with the Gophers in the years ahead. Go B1G!

Let me start out saying I am a Maryland fan. People were posting on our forums that Gopher fans weren't too high on our fan base and I figured I would check out what was being said.

It annoys me to see people hate on UMD because for the most part, I feel it is a misrepresentation of our fan base. The majority of our fans are pretty knowledgable and friendly. Our student section (it's essentially all the lower seating surrounding the court and the huge wall towards the visitor's bench) gets rowdy but most of the students mean well. I feel it is more of a case of a few bad apples which carry over our reputation at this point. If you attend other Maryland sporting events our student section polices itself pretty well. Students that are out of line usually get called out really quickly. With a larger student section in close proximity to the court it becomes difficult to regulate the ******s. It creates a great atmosphere but at times caters to the morons among us.

As for tossing the paper in the air, its a pregame tradition, not a slight directed at the B1G or the Gophers. One of our traditions, as with several schools, is to "read" the school newspaper while the visiting team is being introduced and then toss it in the air when finished. With this is in mind, I don't really know any Maryland fans who dislike the B1G. The UMD fan base is more annoyed that the decision to switch conferences was made behind closed doors and that the our old conference gave us the shaft in many respects. Anyways, Im sorry to hear your experience wasn't all that great. If you get the chance to visit College Park again I would recommend talking with the Maryland fans around you. Most of us don't suck. Anyways, best of luck the rest of the way.

I was there in the nosebleed seats as well. The DC Chapter of the Alumni Association put together a group of tickets for area alumni.

I've lived in the DC area for almost fifty years. In basketball, Maryland's model has always been Duke. It always considered itself to be a Duke rival (a one way rivalry since I don't think Duke fans have ever ever felt the same way), and from time to time it in fact has been able to upset Duke, but despite some good years, Maryland has never been able to compete consistently at the same level as Duke. It's fan base, nevertheless has emulated the Duke "Crazy's" out of what I believe has been envy, and has been very obnoxious. I was not at all surprised by the fact that its captains refused to shake the hands of Penn State's captains when they played this fall. Just before that game, the Washington Post had an article on how Maryland wanted to create a rivalry with Penn State. Today, I thought most of the Maryland fans in our area were civil with one exception, but for the most part I agree that over the years Maryland fans have been very obnoxious.

I agree that Maryland's Xfinity Center is reminiscent of an NBA arena, but it is a big upgrade from Cole Fieldhouse which it replaced. Cole was a dump. But I agree, I would take the intimacy of Williams Arena any day.

As for the game, I thought we played tired. A number of our shots were rushed, without the shooter squaring up. Maryland, on the other hand was shooting extremely well, especially three pointers. Uncharacteristically, we didn't get much production from the Dre's, Joey King or Nate Mason. On a good night, I think we beat these guys. Let's hope we do better next Tuesday against Ohio State.

Let me start out saying I am a Maryland fan. People were posting on our forums that Gopher fans weren't too high on our fan base and I figured I would check out what was being said.

It annoys me to see people hate on UMD because for the most part, I feel it is a misrepresentation of our fan base. The majority of our fans are pretty knowledgable and friendly. Our student section (it's essentially all the lower seating surrounding the court and the huge wall towards the visitor's bench) gets rowdy but most of the students mean well. I feel it is more of a case of a few bad apples which carry over our reputation at this point. If you attend other Maryland sporting events our student section polices itself pretty well. Students that are out of line usually get called out really quickly. With a larger student section in close proximity to the court it becomes difficult to regulate the ******s. It creates a great atmosphere but at times caters to the morons among us.

As for tossing the paper in the air, its a pregame tradition, not a slight directed at the B1G or the Gophers. One of our traditions, as with several schools, is to "read" the school newspaper while the visiting team is being introduced and then toss it in the air when finished. With this is in mind, I don't really know any Maryland fans who dislike the B1G. The UMD fan base is more annoyed that the decision to switch conferences was made behind closed doors and that the our old conference gave us the shaft in many respects. Anyways, Im sorry to hear your experience wasn't all that great. If you get the chance to visit College Park again I would recommend talking with the Maryland fans around you. Most of us don't suck. Anyways, best of luck the rest of the way.

Thanks for coming over to clarify - just reporting how it came off to a first-time visitor. :)

Sounds like the student section just takes up so much of the lower level that it just didn't stand out - at Williams Arena, it is pretty obvious on one end of the court so I was looking for something like that.

Hi there Gophers, Terp fan here. Just a quick response to this plus a few nuggets.

The paper tossing is a tradition at Maryland. For the last 20 years, students hold up newspapers when the other team is announced, then throw them forward when it's done. It has nothing to do with disinterest or disrespect with the Big 10.

Yes, the fans boo'ed quite a bit. I don't think it was bad, but it was in response to the calls like most arenas do. The Big 10 Refs have been surprisingly disappointing so far, even fouling out our big man Dodd with 4 fouls against Michigan State. We are used to getting hosed by Duke and Carolina refs and hoped the Big 10 provided a clean slate. (the crowd will get nastier as the New York/New Jersey students return to campus. they got some attitude, but this crowd literally was a bunch of boy scout troops).

There really is no student section now because of winter break. Most colleges are enduring this right now. It was a very good, loud crowd that shows the re-found enthusiasm for Maryland basketball, respect for a team like Minnesota, and enthusiasm about the Big 10. It was a fun atmosphere.

All that said, good luck to the Gophers. Minnesota and Maryland seem fairly comparable on athletic and academic levels. Personally, Minneapolis is an awesome city and I can't wait to see a Terps game there. One of the nicest downtown areas in america with some great golf nearby (plus n. woods etc. of course). Your hoops team will make the tournament easily. Once #15 (beast) and #11 get on the same page, you can beat anybody in the country (except KY like everybody else). Good luck!

Thanks for stopping over to respond! Like I said in my other response, just wanted to share my experience as a first-time visitor. I stick by my assessment that the booing was over the top considering that fouls called were pretty even (not sure final totals, but at one point we both had 10 in the second half) - it would be more understandable if the calls were going overwhelmingly against Maryland, which they weren't.

If that was the atmosphere without most of the students there, wow, I can't imagine how it will be later in the season. Tough place to play for sure. I'd be surprised if you lose many at home all season.

Terp fan here - have to clarify a bunch of things from your post. First, by and large most Terp fans are very happy with the B1G. It was a shock to the system at first and took a little time to settle in but the quality of academic institutions, tradition and great teams across so many sports make the league very appealing. Plus no Carolina-centric bias. As to the newspapers held up during your team introduction - that is a tradition several decades old - students pretend to read a newspaper rather than focus on the opposing team intro. They also all used to crumble up the paper and toss onto the court but that part of the tradition has mostly died down due to complaints by refs/opposing teams. Since this was the first home B1G game the university put that commemorative newspaper on every seat - so if a few were crumbled and thrown, it had nothing to do with the content of the papers.

As for the arena, perhaps the reason you couldn't identify the student section easily is because students are on winter break and many of those seats were undoubtedly sold as general admission. Students wrap three sides including that steep wall behind the basket. If you thought it was loud on January 3rd, wait until a few weeks later.

As for the fans being obnoxious, booing and lacking knowledge of the game...well that pretty much sums up every fan base in the eyes of opposing fans. The message boards are packed with virtually those same comments. As if somehow, magically the fans of one school are smarter, less emotional/more rational, and more pleasant than those of the opposing school.

Anyway, we look forward to competing with the Gophers in the years ahead. Go B1G!

thank you for pretty much repeating everything I wrote, plus the obnoxious close. Gophers, that's the problem with fans from DC, they are bitter from years of redskins awfulness and Terps football, and they know everything.

Back to the Gophers, good luck against Ohio State. If it weren't for the cult of Penn State weirdos, the Buckeyes would probably top our new list of enemies.

I was there in the nosebleed seats as well. The DC Chapter of the Alumni Association put together a group of tickets for area alumni.

I've lived in the DC area for almost fifty years. In basketball, Maryland's model has always been Duke. It always considered itself to be a Duke rival (a one way rivalry since I don't think Duke fans have ever ever felt the same way), and from time to time it in fact has been able to upset Duke, but despite some good years, Maryland has never been able to compete consistently at the same level as Duke. It's fan base, nevertheless has emulated the Duke "Crazy's" out of what I believe has been envy, and has been very obnoxious. I was not at all surprised by the fact that its captains refused to shake the hands of Penn State's captains when they played this fall. Just before that game, the Washington Post had an article on how Maryland wanted to create a rivalry with Penn State. Today, I thought most of the Maryland fans in our area were civil with one exception, but for the most part I agree that over the years Maryland fans have been very obnoxious.

I agree that Maryland's Xfinity Center is reminiscent of an NBA arena, but it is a big upgrade from Cole Fieldhouse which it replaced. Cole was a dump. But I agree, I would take the intimacy of Williams Arena any day.

As for the game, I thought we played tired. A number of our shots were rushed, without the shooter squaring up. Maryland, on the other hand was shooting extremely well, especially three pointers. Uncharacteristically, we didn't get much production from the Dre's, Joey King or Nate Mason. On a good night, I think we beat these guys. Let's hope we do better next Tuesday against Ohio State.

Haha, I like your argument from authority due to the fact that you "lived" in the DC area for 50 years. And way to conflate the decision of a few football players with the entire MD fanbase. I'm sure there are no obnoxious Gopher fans out there in the world. To say we emulate the Cameron Crazies is laughable. They are a bunch of nerds with scripted cheer sheets. We never have and never will aspire to be anything like them and we never believed we were Dukes #1 rival - that is absurd.

As for Cole - sure it had no AC, a very narrow concourse and very little amenities but it was simply an amazing place to watch a bball game. You are in a very small minority my friend. Not only that but it had as much tradition as any college arena - hosted 2 final fours including perhaps the most significant (Texas Western/Kentucky) numerous legendary concerts, Nixons ping pong diplomacy and many others. And Cole 2.0 will be a game changer for UMD football.

You're probably right but yesterday just seemed different. There was one play specifically where one of your players knocked the ball out of Walker's hands and it went out of bounds. The ref pointed it was MN ball and you could easily hear a good amount of people booing the call. I can be as big of a homer as anyone and there is no way I would have been upset at that. Maybe the mic for the TV broadcast just happened to be close to a group of people who didn't understand basketball but it sounded to me like it was just a few people.

Multiple people noticed it seemed to be worse than most other road games, that's all. Maybe it's not the normal reaction, but yesterday people were booing just about anything and everything.

While the context is about Maryland fans, the use of the acronym UMD means something different around these parts. UMD is an instate hockey rival (University of Minnesota - Duluth) with hockey fans who are as obnoxious as any you'll find in the nation. (Personally, I think it's fun to watch.) I guess it's a "UMD" thing to be rowdy to the point of being obnoxious. In either case, no big deal. I just thought I'd let you know that the term, UMD, will naturally make a person in Minnesota think about their rivalry with the Bulldogs of Minnesota Duluth.

I can verify that Maryland has a frenemy relationship with Dukies going way back. My college roommate, from Baltimore suburbs, would get all fired up to the point of obsession when The Terps faced Duke in basketball. Think Michigan of the ACC in that it was an academic prestige and elite bball (UNC didn't carry the same love/hate relationship)school of the conference. I think my abiding hatred of Duke relates back to those days.

Back in the day, I worked as a print journalist and had the good fortune of being asked by my sports editor to take photos at Cole when Terps faced Notre Dame with Kelly Tripuka. The place was electric like the Barn and extremely loud! In short, there's more in common than you might think. You can't blame Terps fans for being uber passionate when they've developed a good club after a 4 year down cycle. We will adjust to this new kid on the block.

Good post and much appreciated. As I stated elsewhere, most of the Maryland fans sitting around my son and me were fine, with one notable exception. And I agree that a few bad apples unduly color a fan base's reputation. I on one occasion apologized to visiting fans at our football stadium for the behavior of one Gopher knuckle-head. I think, though, that Maryland fans are not well served by the newspaper tradition. I found it offensive, as I did the boos that greeted our teams return to the floor for the second half. Good luck to the Terps for the rest of the year. It looks like you're headed towards a successful season. And feel free to come back and post again.

Just the old ones suck, I guess.
B6cgJrOIcAEqme8.jpg

Just going by talent. Big man is as good as anyone. #11 looks to have all big-10 talent if he settles down a bit. Of course, it's been so long since Maryland was a tournament team, I forgot what one looks like so your skepticism is warranted.

Our starting center has improved a lot in the past two years but he doesn't have the potential of yours (Dodd) especially on the defensive end. Dodd will be very good by the time he finishes his Maryland career. The guards should probably toss him the ball a little more.

thank you for pretty much repeating everything I wrote, plus the obnoxious close. Gophers, that's the problem with fans from DC, they are bitter from years of redskins awfulness and Terps football, and they know everything.

Back to the Gophers, good luck against Ohio State. If it weren't for the cult of Penn State weirdos, the Buckeyes would probably top our new list of enemies.

Sorry buddy - I didn't see your glorious post before i posted. But thanks for (with a bit of irony) actually being the obnoxious one while intending to come over here pretending to be the nice, rational Terp fan. Exactly what about my 'close' was obnoxious? Looking forward to competing against Minn going forward or was it the Go B1G comment???? Whatever, I really don't care. By the way, I hate the Skins so I guess that renders your other point moot as well.

I've lived in the DC area for a long time. Maryland fans are pretty much the same as fans most other places. I find the older ones to be more reasonable and knowledgeable than the students and recent grads, but that's probably true most places. They did lose some of their home court advantage when they replaced Cole Field House with XFinity, though. It's kind of like if the Gophers went from Williams Arena to the Target Center.

As far as their football and especially basketball program, I've long thought that they share a lot of similarities to Minnesota. Urban campus, lots of potential and reason for optimism, should have access to corporate $ and support, lots of advantages to sell recruits, but lots of underachievement relative to their potential. In hoops they *should* be top dog in one of the most talent-rich areas in the nation, but my sense is that Maryland more or less plays by the rules while a lot of others engage in dirty recruiting in DMV (DC/MD/VA). They had the back to back final four years under Williams, we had the final four and final 8 under Haskins. Like us, they've had some scandals that knocked the program back. (People say it hasn't been the same since the Len Bias tragedy).

Top Bottom