*** OFFICIAL GOPHERS-NORTHWESTERN GAME THREAD ***

Jeebus, talk about a lack of intensity. Guys are just standing around. No energy or focus anywhere. Doesn't help that we're literally matching Northwestern in terms of pace. Missing easy shots inside and now 0-of-4 from the free throw line. Had to expect Northwestern to play this way since they have very little in terms of athleticism out there tonght. But my God are we playing right into their hands with how we're playing.

Great defensive effort. Just BRUTAL on offense. Damn guys what is going on? This s Northwestern and you are at home.

i'll take it, but that was the wrong call. he was out of control

Well, that $hitty half is out of the way.

Not looking good... Coach better figure something out.

Just terrible. After watching the vikings offense sputter, I was looking forward to this game. Frustrating start.

That was borderline unwatchable. Never any effort to speed things up on either end. This is a below average Northwestern team that's only hope for a win was to play the game at a snail's pace. Apparently Tubby and Co decided that was just a great idea for their team too because that's exactly how we're playing as well.

I read somewhere that the northwestern coach said he wanted to slow down the tempo after seeing his team get killed by michigan...boy did he ever, every shot northwestern takes is with shot clock under 5secs

Ugly first half. Crowd is asleep (as they should be). Biggest cheer was for Rodney hitting two free throws.

Funny thing is this is the worst I've seen this team play in years and they're still up 3 at half.

They'll pick it up in the second.

We still struggle mightily when we are forced to run a half-court offense. This first half really exposes our lack of true shooters. If Tubby is smart he'll draw up some plays that open up shots for Andre since he's the only one who can consistently hit a shot from beyond the free throw line.

Gophers need to stretch the lead and NW will speed up the pace to try to even the score.

I read somewhere that the northwestern coach said he wanted to slow down the tempo after seeing his team get killed by michigan...boy did he ever, every shot northwestern takes is with shot clock under 5secs

Yup, not a bad strategy. Completely kills the fastbreak as all NW players are heading back on defense at the end of the clock.

NW shooting sucks - we need to get into blowout mode. Stop letting them define our game-plan and pace.

Joe Coleman's drive to the lane at the end could be the worst play I have seen a gopher player make this year. We had the last shot and NW got 1 point out of it.

I would press them at the start of the half.

Two players need to step up in the 2nd half. Their names are Hollins and Hollins.

Gophers came out flat and it showed. Even the subs were flat. There needs to be more of an effort on the defensive end to force a play. On offense, NW is basically playing a zone, so the Gophers need to attack it with passing and ball movement. Instead, the ball is stagnant, sitting in one of the guards' hands too long.

Change these things, and the game should be better in the second half. It would help to hit some free throws.

We need to press them the entire second half imo. In the first half, we did exactly what they wanted us to do. That alone is inexcusable. Stop letting them dictate the tempo.

Joe Coleman's drive to the lane at the end could be the worst play I have seen a gopher player make this year. We had the last shot and NW got 1 point out of it.

Bad decision, topped off with a bad call from the official.

We need to press them the entire second half imo. In the first half, we did exactly what they wanted us to do. That alone is inexcusable. Stop letting them dictate the tempo.

Agreed, but when the Gophers did press it was a man press. I'd like to see a zone trap executed here. At the very least it would force NW to make a decision if they break the press: shoot the ball in the man-up (3-on-2, 4-on-3) game or even game, or hold the ball and wait for another trap to happen.

Ugh. Feel like I am being penalized for something...Bill Carmody is a bad man!

Bucky at Cats might very well end up 20-19 if NWU plays this way against them.

Seems like we are afraid to score too quick because NWU is playing so slow...should be exact opposite. Get up the floor and score...run the offense...these guys aren't scoring against us...just run the freaking offense and score the damn ball.

OK. Take down the peach baskets and let's get back to modern day basketball.

If we actually hit some shots it would help. We shot 33% from the field; 25% from 3 pt range; and 29% from the free throw line. THAT is some god-awful shooting. cncmin has it right...really stagnant on the offensive end.

so apparently every other team in the big ten gets some home cooking except us?

This one's going to be ugly to the end.

Top Bottom