***OFFICIAL CENTRAL MICHIGAN AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Battle, Garcia, and Cooper will score 50 alone I think.
Some nights 100% I would think as well, question is how consistently? They don't seem like they'd be unstoppable, impossible to guard? We are playing bad teams...it is going to get more difficult.

I really liked how Ben spread around the minutes tonight. He gave everyone a lot of run. Samuels had the least with 10 minutes. Garcia and Cooper were the high minute players with 33 and 32 respectively. Great opportunity to try some different combinations against an inferior opponent.

Rebounding and free throw shooting continue to be a big concern. This NEEDS to be tightened up soon. Its almost like they are employing the same tactic as last year where they didn't even try on the offensive glass.

There are definitely some players to develop here. It will be exciting (and nerve-wracking) to watch them improve over the year.

Unfortunately its correct. I am seriously wondering what the season record is for giving up offensive rebounds for a team, I think this group may attain that record. I can't imagine what is going to happen to them in the B1G; MSU may get 35 offensive rebounds on them unless they make most of their shots so they don't need to bother.
Unreal. Must be a school record.

Personally I think Ramberg has done more in 4 games this season than Thiam or Ogele did all of last year. Depth definitely is better on this team. We look like we have 10 guys who can contribute at least some quality minutes most games instead of about 7.
Ramberg is showing the effort and hustle that every other player needs to emulate. He had 7 boards tonight- tying Garcia for the team lead in less minutes. Unfortunately, Will is just not talented enough to play this many minutes. He will be a great body to bring in off the bench to spell a starter and win some hustle plays.

I agree that the depth is much better with this team. Samuels needs to tighten up his game a bit or he may not see much time. This is concerning as I don't want Cooper playing 40 and I know Carrington and Henley don't have the experience to run the show for more than a couple of minutes at this juncture.

Personally I think Ramberg has done more in 4 games this season than Thiam or Ogele did all of last year. Depth definitely is better on this team. We look like we have 10 guys who can contribute at least some quality minutes most games instead of about 7.
just noting that the coaches that thought Thiam and Ogele deserved scholarships last year are the same coaches coaching the team this year.

The good: Carrington and Thompson. Better offensive rebounding.

The bad: FT shooting is the worst I've ever seen.

The refs were awful. I've never seen us get hosed this often against a directional MAC school before. I'm glad it wasn't closer. They cost us about 10 points.

The crowd. Yikes.

After the entire roster transferred
And Thiam of course could have came back, but he isn’t here. I’m thinking he was talked to by the coaches. Believe it or not, I also read that Danny had another year of eligibility, but not sure the person was correct. This day and age, who knows?

The refs were awful. I've never seen us get hosed this often against a directional MAC school before. I'm glad it wasn't closer. They cost us about 10 points.

The crowd. Yikes.
The have me to the point if they are over 50% I’m happy. That’s bad.

Ramberg is showing the effort and hustle that every other player needs to emulate. He had 7 boards tonight- tying Garcia for the team lead in less minutes. Unfortunately, Will is just not talented enough to play this many minutes. He will be a great body to bring in off the bench to spell a starter and win some hustle plays.

I agree that the depth is much better with this team. Samuels needs to tighten up his game a bit or he may not see much time. This is concerning as I don't want Cooper playing 40 and I know Carrington and Henley don't have the experience to run the show for more than a couple of minutes at this juncture.

Of course Ramberg won't be playing his current minutes when Battle returns and Carrington gets up to speed. The point is that Ramberg at least looks capable of providing 8 to 10 decent minutes per game if needed. Samuels does too. Last year we had two or three guys who couldn't be counted on to do even that.

the only way a young team improves is through experience.

Yes, the coaches need to be working on a lot of things in practice.

But no matter how hard you practice, it's not like a game against another team with referees calling fouls and (some) people in the stands.

the younger players just need to play. some nights will be better than others. the question is whether they learn from their mistakes and improve.

Battle will make a difference (if he's healthy). How much of a difference remains to be seen.

In the end, the final record this season may not be better than last year. But I still think the future is brighter - IF they keep this team together.

Battle, Garcia, and Cooper will score 50 alone I think.
Copper can score but he can’t defend. He might get his but there is a high risk he’ll give up even more.

I’m most interested in seeing Battle and Garcia at the same time. Battle seems better equipped to be effective defensively underneath than Garcia. Strangely enough I am not worried nearly as much about scoring as defense.

Copper can score but he can’t defend. He might get his but there is a high risk he’ll give up even more.

I’m most interested in seeing Battle and Garcia at the same time. Battle seems better equipped to be effective defensively underneath than Garcia. Strangely enough I am not worried nearly as much about scoring as defense.
I thought they played solid defense yesterday but the opponent made tough shots in the first half yesterday. Getting a stop is only half the battle though since the team seems to not try at defensive rebounding about half the time.

I'm also terrified of close games due to the free throw shooting.

The crowd. Yikes.
agree with everything here.

I am dumbfounded by the free throw shooting and rebounding. By biggest pet peeve as a player/coach/fan is missed free throws. fricken hate it

and the refs....you are right. were awful

12 points from the 5, consistently get that and the offense isn't that big of a problem especially when Battle comes back. Still have to solve the problems with the defense and rebounding.

the only way a young team improves is through experience.

Yes, the coaches need to be working on a lot of things in practice.

But no matter how hard you practice, it's not like a game against another team with referees calling fouls and (some) people in the stands.

the younger players just need to play. some nights will be better than others. the question is whether they learn from their mistakes and improve.

Battle will make a difference (if he's healthy). How much of a difference remains to be seen.

In the end, the final record this season may not be better than last year. But I still think the future is brighter - IF they keep this team together.
Last year I was very vocal about the coaches iron man philosophy of playing 5 players major minutes while failing to develop their bench. I was soundly criticized. According to most the players needed to win and experience success. So last night I was excited when they played 9 players at least 10 minutes. Hopefully this continues.

Ok, give Treyton his due. He did well while in there. Hit a couple shots from deep. Flushed an offensive rebound. Looked like he was a little more spry defensively.
He was better but still a tad slower than others. Everyone knows his game is a bit limited since he is not really a back to the basket player. If he can develop a baby hook to take advantage of mismatches as a stretch 4 that would be an enormous help.

Defensively everyone was far more active last night which helped a lot.

As far as last night goes.
  1. Carrington: Really impressed with his defense last night, seems the most polished on team defense among freshman, got some boards, couple steals, some tips, made a couple of three's, I like Henley starting and Carrington coming in, play the one at the end who is having the better night.
  2. Henley: Too many turnovers last night, while he's not as consistent as Carrington I can see that he has more athleticism and a higher ceiling, just needs to settle in.
  3. JOJ: Plays like a bull in a china shop, like Henley just needs to settle down a bit, I'd like to see him grab more boards on defensive end, think that's the next step in his game.
  4. Payne: Would have like to seen more of him than just the 18 minutes last night and hopfully his teamates can find him more, get him more touches on offense.
  5. Cooper: Thought his defense was better last night, Miller's a good player and he made him work for his points. Does a good job of taking his and getting everyone involved in the offense. I'd harp on his free throws but he made six in a row down the stretch when we needed them, but the overall percentage for a PG needs to be better.
  6. Samuels: Played ten minutes, I think that's perfect for him they were well timed minutes, Ben seemed to sense when the freshman were getting a little rattled and Samuels was a calming pressence, CMU dared him the shoot and he delivered a couple times.
  7. Treyton: He was much better tonight, we still need him to rebound better, but his positional defense is so much better this year, we don't need to change our scheme anymore when he is in. Made a couple of three's, had a nice dunk. 10-15 minutes is probably the right amount of time for him.
  8. Garcia: Need him to play bigger on defense as well. Think he had about eight points taken away from him due to questionable at best calls, but he still got his. Made some big shots in the second half. Excited for him once Battle is back.
  9. Ramburg. I think we will still see 8-10 minutes of the Pride of Grand Maris when Battle is back. Will brings the energy on defense think he lead us in boards last night, hustles, gets a couple back door cuts a game, he's earned his spot and that scholly is well deserved.
Overall, thought we did a great job on team defense the Freshman are further along there than I thought they wold be and the effort is good, we are just a terrible rebounding team. I think Battle will help some that, Cooper and Carrington are good at it for guards, no complaints from Payne, but TT, Garcia and JOJ have to be better at that, I have the most faith in JOJ improving that aspect of his game, think that's his next step, but TT and Dawson, they just don't have that mind set. That's why Parker Fox will get minutes if he ever gets healthy.
Free Throws, ideally if you have 27 FT you should hit on 21 or 22, we hit on 15, grant it we made eight in a row in the final two minutes to ice it. When Nate Mason was a Freshman he was a terrible FT shooter, but was much better the rest of his career, I think Carrington and Henley will become more reliable as they settle in and become more confident in their abilities to be Big Ten players. I think Cooper could to an extent as well, transferring up, it's an adjust ment for him, but right now it's tough to watch.
Cal Baptist they just went into Washington and won by nine, should be a good test and contrast of styles, they look like they like to play four guards and one big, should be interesting to watch.

Top Bottom