***OFFICIAL BEMIDJI STATE AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Guards have been a complete non factor today, I'm hoping it's just because of the size advantage we have in the front court and the absence of mason.

Konate is getting his first minutes with 3 minutes left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinking way ahead here...but a couple years from now..potential core of....

Freshman: Hurt
Sophomore: I. Washington, Harris
Juniors: Coffey, Hurt, Curry
Seniors: Murphy, McBrayer

Really exciting

Replay scheduled for Friday 10p on BTN...sorry if it's been mentioned

thinking way ahead here...but a couple years from now..potential core of....

Freshman: Hurt
Sophomore: I. Washington, Harris
Juniors: Coffey, Hurt, Curry
Seniors: Murphy, McBrayer

Really exciting

Matthew Hurt is a 2019, so Curry, Michael, and Coffey (if he doesn't leave early) would be seniors and Murphy and McBrayer would be gone assuming they don't take a medical red shirt or anything.

Curry seems like a steal. He's going to be huge for us when Lynch is constantly in foul trouble.

Curry seems like a steal. He's going to be huge for us when Lynch is constantly in foul trouble.

He surprised me tonight. He's athletic, can get up in the air quick and he focuses and finishes plays. Very good frosh and a big bonus. I was depressed at what I saw the first ten minutes but things got better. If we clean up the shooting issue, we are certainly longer, deeper and will rebound a ton better than the last few years. It was great to see Hurt bury a couple of three in the second half and also McBrayer looked good.

Who played point tonight? I assume McBrayer for most of the game, did Coffey play point at all? The box score says he got 5 assists.

Boys looked good tonight. Mcbreyer is a solid option at point. Curry and Lynch held down the five and even Konate had some nice blocks. I still think he can help in a pinch. Both Hurt and JR were solid in their minutes.Great outcome for me gophs looked much improved without Mason and Bemidji didn't embarrass themselves just outclassed, lost to UNI by a similar margin. Gotta make those freethtows they're free!

Who played point tonight? I assume McBrayer for most of the game, did Coffey play point at all? The box score says he got 5 assists.

McBrayer and Sharp came in for him. McBrayer is going to be a great player. But right now this team needs Mason to stay healthy in a big way.

Went to the game tonight. My thoughts:

POSITIVES
Curry looks awesome
Murphy looking to score more
Coffey fills the box score as expected, and almost had a dunk that would have ended up on Sportscenter
Created some nice traps on the press
McBrayer showed some scoring chops

NEGATIVES
Outside shooting was really bad
Slow start (somewhat to be expected, but remember this was a D2 team)
Springs still looks lost (I know, he joined the team late, but I still expected him to at least hit a couple outside shots)
McBrayer's outside shot still looks terrible
FT shooting was not very good (small sample size, but it has been a problem in the past and tonight indicated that has not changed)

Overall, my outlook for the season didn't change much. (Why would it based on an exhibition game against a D2 team?) We look improved, but improvement is expected when you go 8-23. Curious to hear the observations of others

Hurt with 2 threes in the past few minutes. Sweet looking shot

They have to learn to feed the beast, after he hit those two threes they should have kept getting him shots until he missed one, he just looks like he could roll off 10 in a row.

Perimeter shooting would be my #1 concern based on 1 meaningless exhibition game. Of course, no Mason a factor there.

Looking forward to Mason, McBrayer, and Coffey all on the floor at same time. 3 guys that can handle. Guess is in close games McBrayer will initiate offense so that Mason can play off the ball.

First impressions on a lot of these guys, but here were my thoughts.

A lineup of Mason, McBrayer, Coffey, Murphy and Curry will be a something to look forward to next year, as that lineup will be dynamic in that it can play a lot of different ways.

Coffey, once confidence comes, will be a solid player. Reminds me a TON of Vince Edwards from Purdue, maybe a bit more perimeter than Vince is.

Hurt will get minutes as he appears to have just a simple smooth stroke and will get forgotten as a low usage player. Transition threes and kick outs will be his diet and hopefully gets off 3-5 threes a game. A defensive liability for now, though.

Curry is almost as "bouncy" as Murphy. Slightly less powerful, but plays a bit bigger, is more technical finishing at the rim and also passes, which Murphy has yet to learn.

McBrayer looks smooth, going to get to the line, going to finish in transition, going to get steals. Hopefully that shot falls this year as he definitely is not a pure jump shooter.

Lynch, offensively, is a cross between Colton Iverson and Slim Mo Walker. You would think that's a compliment, but I'm thinking the weaknesses of both play in Lynch. Better defensively and rebounding. As I said in an earlier thread, success with Lynch would be 25-30 minutes. Just don't foul.

Springs is athletic, but is not in the flow of the offense, guys don't look for him and he doesn't look for his shot either. Is an active rebounder which is good.

Murphy could have scored at will last night, and at times, it looked like thats all he wanted to do. Physically is going to be a challenge for most teams. Needs to make his free throws because thats where he is going to go, a lot. Going to attract a TON of double teams in the big ten, as if you remember at the end of last year, teams did that to us when we had no other options. Has to be able to pass out of a double team. Didn't need to last night.

Bakary is still awkward. Going to give us a couple minutes against bigger teams. Doesn't have a place on the court if there are mobile bigs other than to get some fouls.

Gilbert wants to shoot. Not sure he should yet. Another guy that can give us some minutes, just a shame is isn't more of an active rebounder. He reminds me of that soft big guy at the Y that lingers around the permimeter and waits for the kick outs and looks for his own shot.

As a group the guys have much better hair than last year.

My takeways from the being at the game:

- Springs' shot has no rotation on it
- Still can't shoot. The free throw shooting will be bad. 3-point shooting will be bad
- The team still loves to foul
- Struggle finishing close the bucket
- My seats are better this year so I can see the video on the scoreboard.

As a group the guys have much better hair than last year.

Not knowing all of the new guys numbers, combined with the quality of the feed made it very difficult at first to figure out who was who! Lynch, Curry, Coffey and Murphy all have longish hair and are within a few inches of each other.

My takeways from the being at the game:

- Springs' shot has no rotation on it
- Still can't shoot. The free throw shooting will be bad. 3-point shooting will be bad
- The team still loves to foul
- Struggle finishing close the bucket
- My seats are better this year so I can see the video on the scoreboard.

so we suck and will lose pretty much all our games because we can't score and will parade every team to the foul line?

The team will be much improved with Mason in. Would have won by at least 10 more points last night. Curry doesnt miss bunnies like the rest of the team!

Top Bottom