Official 2024 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

At his size football may be the better long term choice. He's currently listed at 6'1"-6'2" in high school, which means he's likely closer to 6'0". It's much harder to make it to the NBA as a 6'0" PG, where it's common to see a WR/DB at that size in the NFL. That's the biggest difference between he and Suggs, who is a legit 6'5".
Good point. I guess he's still young enough he could maybe grow a few more inches.

But even if it isn't the NBA, there's a lot of money out there for basketball players that non-NFL guys don't have an opportunity to make.

Good point. I guess he's still young enough he could maybe grow a few more inches.

But even if it isn't the NBA, there's a lot of money out there for basketball players that non-NFL guys don't have an opportunity to make.
Likely longer career also.

Can you imagine spending 10 years playing in Europe? Great life

Rowing the Boat; Gaylord's 2024 LB Brady Pretzlaff commits to Minnesota​

"Minnesota was really just a no-brainer for me," Pretzlaff said. "Amazing staff, facilities, and I have family near by."

Pretzlaff, a three-star recruit and the 22nd-ranked player in Michigan for the 2024 class according to 24/7 Sports, cemented himself as one of the top players in the state in the 2022 campaign, posting 115 total tackles along with 30 tackles in conference play, both team-highs.

"I want to thank my family, coaches and teammates for all their support," said Pretzlaff. "Without them, this all isn't possible."

Michigan State and Wisconsin both showed interest along with CMU and Illinois, but once Minnesota called, it ended up being the right call for him.

Go Gophers!!

I like his style, 247 lists him as warm. Not sure how his thunderous style would translate to B1G play, but it’d be fun to watch if it’s anything similar to his high school tape.

I like his style, 247 lists him as warm. Not sure how his thunderous style would translate to B1G play, but it’d be fun to watch if it’s anything similar to his high school tape.
That's in my backyard and I know people that coach/play there. I'll ask about him.

That's a big boy. If he stays at RB, it'd be fun to add a different dimension to the RB room.

CrAB pipeline from Kankakee. That can't hurt.

I believe that we need to get 4 4* this year. It has to start happening. Top 20 in recruiting should be a reasonable goal.
I would love to see us consistently with ranked recruiting classes between 20-29. I think our coaches do a nice job of getting the most from our guys, so I think that could translate into a 12-20 ranking on the field. Both rankings are a clear step up from most years, sans 2019 and seem like a reasonable expectation.

That's a big boy. If he stays at RB, it'd be fun to add a different dimension to the RB room.
If he is an honest 230 lbs at 6'0", we haven't had a back like him in a long time. Except LeCaptain! Get him.

Marcus Coker was a big guy that had 250+ on us one year I believe.
I don't know if I want to bring up Wisconsin because bringing them up seems to conjure a certain Badger troll the impact a vasectomy has a man's ability to make love.

Braelin Allen is a big guy (~240 lbs).

Yep with Gray, the Skyline recruits, and David Pittman (who somehow gets a pass while Hayo gets blasted).
Rivals had it ranked that high, I was looking at 247 who ranked them at 34, but I don’t think 247 was even around at that time. That class ended up being pretty terrible. Hageman and Ed Olson were the best players, Michael Carter probably comes in at third even though his career was probably disappointing based on expectations. 4th best was maybe like Mottla or Garin?……Oops this is the class the yearafter, 247 had the 18th class ranked 26.

I think Moses Alipate was in that class IIRC
Moses was in 2009 along with the great Hayo Carpenter.

For all his struggles one thing Brew deserves credit for was a willingness to go to battle with other power 5 schools for players. Problem was that he didn't know what kind of systems he was going to run so often he was just out there going after the best athletes he could and then trying to make them fit.

Mason and Kill both recruited that next tier of guys where we were often their best option and many times their only power 5 option. One area where Fleck is very much like Brew is that he is willing to go to battle for players, even if it means taking on other Big Ten and Power 5 schools. The key difference is that Fleck also knows what he is looking for in players which improves the chances that they pan out once they get here.

We won't always win the battles but we also won't shy away from going after players with other good options.

Rivals had it ranked that high, I was looking at 247 who ranked them at 34, but I don’t think 247 was even around at that time. That class ended up being pretty terrible. Hageman and Ed Olson were the best players, Michael Carter probably comes in at third even though his career was probably disappointing based on expectations. 4th best was maybe like Mottla or Garin?……Oops this is the class the yearafter, 247 had the 18th class ranked 26.
I think you're looking at 2009. But yeah, 2009 ended up being pretty bad but yeah, I'd say Mottla was probably the 4th best, he started for a couple years.

2008 was Gray, Cooper, Pittman, etc. 2008 was the higher ranked of the classes but I'm not sure where they ended up on Rivals compared to 247 (which I think uses the old Scout data).

Wasn't it like Weisman or something, I remember it rang with Heisman because they would have the signs, "weisman for Heisman". Lemme go look...

Yep, here:

https://twitter.com/weisman4heisman
I always got him mixed up with the RB who was good there as a FR and then returned home because he knocked up his GF (Wegher), even though they aren't very similar.

It might be the white running back at Iowa thing.

Moses was in 2009 along with the great Hayo Carpenter.

For all his struggles one thing Brew deserves credit for was a willingness to go to battle with other power 5 schools for players. Problem was that he didn't know what kind of systems he was going to run so often he was just out there going after the best athletes he could and then trying to make them fit.

Mason and Kill both recruited that next tier of guys where we were often their best option and many times their only power 5 option. One area where Fleck is very much like Brew is that he is willing to go to battle for players, even if it means taking on other Big Ten and Power 5 schools. The key difference is that Fleck also knows what he is looking for in players which improves the chances that they pan out once they get here.

We won't always win the battles but we also won't shy away from going after players with other good options.
Txs for the correction and good analysis 👍

Top Bottom