Official 2023 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

This makes sense for a lot of colleges, but Memphis is a dirt poor rundown ghetto.

Beal Street is cool, however, living in Memphis is all about the blues. Trust me, there are no big donors anywhere near that town.
It's been a long time since I've been to Memphis, but the downtown was actually pretty cool with the Peabody Hotel and they were just starting to renovate/update Beale Street. The National Civil Rights Museum is housed in a way that incorporates the old Lorraine Motel where Martin Luther King, Jr., was assassinated. Sun Studios and Graceland as well.

As it was described to me then, there is/was tension and governance overlap between the City of Memphis and Shelby County that made it difficult for Memphis to upgrade a lot of things.

But it has been many years, so I don't know the present situation, but if you're ever passing through there, there is a lot to see (and you can taste for yourself the difference between Memphis Bar-B-Que and other Bar-B-Que styles.

Guess we'll see how it goes, but guessing he gets a shot at playing time as a true fresh.

Wonder if Fleck and staff leave it completely up to the player's choice, or if they "strongly encourage" those who have a real shot to play as true freshmen to enroll early.

Guess we'll see how it goes, but guessing he gets a shot at playing time as a true fresh.

Wonder if Fleck and staff leave it completely up to the player's choice, or if they "strongly encourage" those who have a real shot to play as true freshmen to enroll early.
It's a little easier with the ability to play 4 games.

We can sprinkle him in and if and if he's a difference maker, play him. If it's just a few snaps here and there, sit him.

True, I forgot about that bit.

But also I was meaning, if you come in for that first (early) spring ball, that has to help your chances considerably.

Yes.

Greg Johnson
Darius Taylor
Lainer
Owusu
Brown
Tripp
Viotto
Monroe
those guys are our early enrollees
I think with transfers, there are 13 guys coming in January.

This makes sense for a lot of colleges, but Memphis is a dirt poor rundown ghetto.

Beal Street is cool, however, living in Memphis is all about the blues. Trust me, there are no big donors anywhere near that town.
Fed-Ex pours a lot of money into the program and city. IP also, to a degree.

Yes.

Greg Johnson
Darius Taylor
Lainer
Owusu
Brown
Tripp
Viotto
Monroe
those guys are our early enrollees
What does it take to be an early enrollee? Just be finished with high school?

Fed-Ex pours a lot of money into the program and city. IP also, to a degree.
Don't forget AutoZone! :ROFLMAO:

FedEx certainly sponsors stuff in its HQ city. Not sure how much they sponsor at the U of Memphis, though? The Forum is an NBA arena not located on the University campus. I guess they do sponsor UMemphis 2k capacity baseball field ...

Don't forget AutoZone! :ROFLMAO:

FedEx certainly sponsors stuff in its HQ city. Not sure how much they sponsor at the U of Memphis, though? The Forum is an NBA arena not located on the University campus. I guess they do sponsor UMemphis 2k capacity baseball field ...
Penny Hardaway seems to find plenty of $$$$ for Memphis basketball recruits......

The area is also a football hotbed. This year, the state of Maryland has 8 4 star+ and 40 star+ recruits. It's a typical year for them.
Yes. Maryland, DC, Virginia area is a hot bed.

Last edited:

Go Gophers!!
This dude looks like he's a got "it" football player. We need this guy, he is a player. If he joins the Gophers this LeGrant jr. will earn a scholarship, if I'm a betting man I would bet money on this Cortez Legrant being a player, and making a name for himself in fall camp. He has that look just like a certain punt return guy for the Gophers. I know my opinion isn't much, but if he is a Gopher, coach Fleck and staff will see that twitch, are going to say this guy is a dude that's going to play for us.

Last edited:

This dude looks like he's a got "it" football player. We need this guy, he is a player. If he joins the Gophers this LeGrant jr. will earn a scholarship, if I'm a betting man I would bet money on this Cortez Legrant being a player, and making a name for himself in fall camp. He has that look just like a certain punt return guy for the Gophers. I know my opinion isn't much, but if he is a Gopher, coach Fleck and staff will see that twitch, are going to say this guy is a dude that's going to play for us.
Mr. LeGrant, is that you?

Top Bottom