Official 2023 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

I wonder if there’s a conditional offer contingent on Jaxon Howard.

Still no composite rating for Tyler Brown but 247 rated him 87.
Surprised his offer list isn’t higher with his production and confirmed speed. I wasn’t overly impressed with his highlights on first watch, but hard to argue his results.

The NIL bubble will burst eventually. Once there have been enough NIL busts, and players who boosters paid big money for don't see the field right away eventually the deals will stop being millions of dollars.

I predict it happens in the next 5 years.

The NIL bubble will burst eventually. Once there have been enough NIL busts, and players who boosters paid big money for don't see the field right away eventually the deals will stop being millions of dollars.

It'll be interesting to see. There seems to be a massive market in the generation of clicks and some of this NIL stuff is almost more adjacent to the $ pouring in for streamers than it is athletics. I don't know how it holds it with college athletics but it'll be interesting to see.

Whether or not they help win games seems almost secondary to the attention.

The NIL payee can always just drop them.

I don’t think any of these deals are guaranteed money.

Others have brought up the guaranteed aspect as well and it would be really interesting to know how much of the crazy figures being tossed around actually are guaranteed. Kind of like the huge dollar NFL contracts....the only part you ever need to look at there is how much of it is guaranteed because much of the rest is just window dressing that the player might get but also might not.

Isn't every deal different? I would think it just depends on the contract, there aren't really rules. I would be thinking that national brands would be sending deals out to the more popular athletes regardless of what schools they are at. I think the individuals have a big say in how much they can broker just as much as the schools do. If they get a big following on social media and know how to market themselves, I would think that could be more important for NIL than the school they attend.

Others have brought up the guaranteed aspect as well and it would be really interesting to know how much of the crazy figures being tossed around actually are guaranteed. Kind of like the huge dollar NFL contracts....the only part you ever need to look at there is how much of it is guaranteed because much of the rest is just window dressing that the player might get but also might not.
Several early deals were for “up to” and the company they signed with was just the middle man promising money… someone else might pay.

One guy signed with some crypto currency and he is paid in crypto… wtf

I suspect there is a lot of real money, but also a lot of empty promises.

Isn't every deal different? I would think it just depends on the contract, there aren't really rules. I would be thinking that national brands would be sending deals out to the more popular athletes regardless of what schools they are at. I think the individuals have a big say in how much they can broker just as much as the schools do. If they get a big following on social media and know how to market themselves, I would think that could be more important for NIL than the school they attend.
Yep, it's like any other contract.

Oh well, the big fish in the state got away. There are still thirteen players that are warm to the Gophers.

MarJayvious Moss
MarJayvious MossNorthwood (Shreveport, LA)
5-11 / 180, 0.9059, 286 31 17, Warm+15 others
---------------------
Ashley Williams
Ashley WilliamsZachary (Zachary, LA)
6-4 / 215, 0.8900, 400 36 18, Warm+21 others
--------------------
Asa Newsom
Asa NewsomWaverly-Shell Rock (Waverly, IA)
6-4 / 205, 0.8785, 543 42 5, Warm+8 others
--------------------
Cameren Fleming
Cameren FlemingTrinity Episcopal School (Richmond, VA)
6-0 / 185, 0.8752, 596 58 13, Warm+26 others
--------------------
Phillip Daniels
Phillip DanielsPrinceton (Cincinnati, OH)
6-5 / 285, 0.8700, 683 49 22, Warm+21 others
-------------------
Elinneus Davis
Elinneus DavisMoorhead (Moorhead, MN)
6-3 / 295, 0.8626, 853 100 4, Warm+9 others
------------------
Tavion Gadson
Tavion GadsonJenkins (Savannah, GA)
6-4 / 280, 0.8719, 660 75 61, Warm+21 others
------------------
Zach Ortwerth
Zach OrtwerthSt. Louis University (Saint Louis, MO)
6-4 / 220, 0.8685, 738 37 16, Warm+14 others
------------------
Tamarcus Cooley
Tamarcus CooleyRolesville (Rolesville, NC)
6-0 / 195, 0.8619, 870 120 27, Warm+23 others
------------------
Jarvis Hayes
Jarvis HayesWare County (Waycross, GA)
6-1 / 175, NA, NA NA NA, Warm+5 others
-----------------
Ravon Johnson
Ravon JohnsonMeadowcreek (Norcross, GA)
6-4 / 220, 0.8650, 811 69 81, Warm+15 others
-----------------
Ethon Cole
Ethon ColeLake Minneola (Lake Minneola, FL)
6-2 / 190, 0.8378, NA 103 186, Warm+12 others
-----------------
Emmanuel Allen Jr
Emmanuel Allen JrZephyrhills Christian Academy (Zephyrhills, FL)
5-11 / 165, NA, NA NA NA, Warm+7 others

I said it might be a while before we get any commits if Daniels didn’t verbal. I suspect things will be fairly quiet until the end of the fall. Not confident in any of the popular known targets at the moment.

Maybe Fleck has a few prospects lined up that we don’t’t know about. He seems to come up with a few towards the signing date.

I can’t help but think about our next commitment, and with Howard gone, I feel like they should go for the next best in state guy. I’ve heard he’s grown up to 6’3, so this kind of late bloomer might be effective for us. His film is miles better than Davis from moorehead. Offers from ndsu and sdsu and all, I really wonder why we haven’t offered.

I can’t help but think about our next commitment, and with Howard gone, I feel like they should go for the next best in state guy. I’ve heard he’s grown up to 6’3, so this kind of late bloomer might be effective for us. His film is miles better than Davis from moorehead. Offers from ndsu and sdsu and all, I really wonder why we haven’t offered.
I wouldn’t hate that addition. Looks like Carson Hansen from Lakeville picked up a NW offer just before committing to ISU.

Well, it has slowed down a little. I wonder what surprise Burns was talking about. We need some good news.

It's not going well. Ortworth to Iowa and Cooley to North Carolina State.

It's not going well. Ortworth to Iowa and Cooley to North Carolina State.

Since we already took a TE, not shocked about Ortweth. Hopefully he doesn't come back to bite us with the Hogeyes. I figured Cooley would stay in North Carolina. Be interested to see who else we look at for WR.

Sucks to miss out on Howard, Daniels, Cooley, etc., but if we could land Moss/Fleming at CB, Williams/Newsom at Edge, I would be really happy with the class. Need an interior OL too but no idea who that might end up being.

Top Bottom