Official 2023 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

I wonder if the Texas A&M “collective” is still handing out NIL bribes of huge dollars. Or did they spend everything on last year’s No. 1 recruiting class?

I wonder if the Texas A&M “collective” is still handing out NIL bribes of huge dollars. Or did they spend everything on last year’s No. 1 recruiting class?
I wonder if funding and attention span might vary.

If a booster doesn’t like a coat… could the associated NIL money dry up?

Who is the boss?

Also, with us having Athan and Jacob Knuth in the fold, I've been wondering how that will impact the interest of the higher ranked QBs in the 2023 class.
So what your saying is Low 4* and a mid 3* rated qb; both of whom have never taken a snap are impacting who we get to commit... Lol

That Texas A&M money will be hard to pass up
I am all in favor of the athletes getting paid and having some ability to transfer, but as long as it is collegiate athletics there has to be some reasonable reporting on money and restrictions on transferring. In the end, I fully suspect that this golden egg laying goose will dry up and we will see major changes in the near future.

I am all in favor of the athletes getting paid and having some ability to transfer, but as long as it is collegiate athletics there has to be some reasonable reporting on money and restrictions on transferring. In the end, I fully suspect that this golden egg laying goose will dry up and we will see major changes in the near future.
Same. If major corporations can take advantage of loop holes to offset paying taxes, etc. If the rules allow it, let the kids get theirs.

Appears that Jerome Williams got a bump in his composite ranking and is now a 4* recruit according to 247. I was just luke warm about him before but now am super excited he is going to be a Gopher for some reason :)

Half the football programs have "collectives" including Minnesota. Of course they don't all spend like TAMU.

Was looking at the targets list on 247 and this new addition to the high choice list with a warm designation caught my eye:

Not too often when we are listed as warm along with the likes of Clemson, FSU and Oklahoma. Kid has a pretty amazing offer list for a player who doesn't even have a 247 rating score much less a composite.
Looks like he committed to Clemson, anyone know if he still plans to visit on the 17th?

Looks like he committed to Clemson, anyone know if he still plans to visit on the 17th?
Still listed on 247 but would seem a little odd to take the visit still after just committing to another school.

I see our list for this upcoming weekend has ballooned to 24 players with I think 8 of them already committed. Will be interesting to see how many of the 16 uncommitted decide to hop on board after the visit.

Still listed on 247 but would seem a little odd to take the visit still after just committing to another school.

I see our list for this upcoming weekend has ballooned to 24 players with I think 8 of them already committed. Will be interesting to see how many of the 16 uncommitted decide to hop on board after the visit.
I predict the bulb in PJs bat signal will overheat and burn out.

I predict the bulb in PJs bat signal will overheat and burn out.
I'd love to see Moss commit. I think he's the kind of guy that the big boys (well more of them) will start showing up in a couple of months, but PJ has done a nice job of keeping most of those guys in the fold.

I'd love to see Moss commit. I think he's the kind of guy that the big boys (well more of them) will start showing up in a couple of months, but PJ has done a nice job of keeping most of those guys in the fold.
Obviously Jaxon Howard is at the top of the wish list. But would be awesome to land a bunch of these guys, Moss and Zaquan Bryan would be a very nice CB duo. I'd love to land Ashley Williams and Tavion Gadson on the dline. Phillip Daniels on oline and McCutchin at linebacker would be nice adds as well.

Be on the lookout for the party bus limo to downtown!

Do guys on the team take recruits out to party after the official activities (house parties, bars, etc.) anymore, or is that like a thing of yore that is strictly forbidden and they do bed check for the recruits in the hotel at 10pm?

Any predictions on who commits this weekend? It sounds like Peters and Mister are locks. I think there could be 4 or 5 others.

per Randy:

The program's "Summer Splash'' weekend starts Friday will bring in about 30 recruits, including Cooper star Jaxon Howard, and hopes to build on a solid 2023 class.

So far, Fleck and Co. are putting together a strong class, according to Allen Trieu, a national recruiting analyst for 247Sports. Minnesota has nine players committed to the 2023 group, which ranks 22nd nationally and sixth in the Big Ten in the 247Sports composite ratings of major recruiting services. While those ratings will change as teams add commitments, it's an early improvement from Minnesota's 18-player 2022 class, which ranked 49th nationally and last in the Big Ten after the late signing period in February.

"This class is going to be stronger in terms of the rankings,'' Trieu said. "In recruiting we often grade it on who commits and who signs, which is obviously the bottom line, but if you also look at the type of players they're getting to campus, who is considering them, they're doing an exceptional job.''

The Gophers' most coveted target who'll make his official visit this weekend is Cooper's Jaxon Howard, a four-star recruit who's listed in the athlete category and projects as a defensive lineman but also plays tight end for the Hawks. Howard, 6-4 and 245 pounds, is the top-ranked player in Minnesota in the 247Sports composite. He has narrowed his choice to four programs and will visit each, beginning with the Gophers and followed by Michigan (June 17), LSU (June 21) and Miami of Florida (June 24).

"He's been to a lot of places and looked at a lot of different schools, and he's never once forgotten about Minnesota. He's always made his way back,'' Trieu said. "You still have to feel good about being in the game at least. It's going to be a tough battle — Minnesota knows that. I don't think anybody thinks Minnesota's the favorite, but they do think Minnesota's still hanging around and giving themselves a puncher's chance.''

Go Gophers!!

My Take:
Committed before June 17th (out of the June 10th group)
Ashley Williams DE
Ryan Manning WR
LeTreveon McCutchin LB
De'Eric Mister OT
Sam Peters TE

I am assuming this will be about a 22 person signing class.
Committed (10)
QB (1) Viotto Done here
RB (2)Taylor. Expect 1 more. Hope is M. Williams from PA
WR (3)Expect 2 to 3. Might consider Walsh a WR as he is a tweener with TE and Gophers still after a number of TE. 2/3 of these 6. Brown OH, Cooley NC, Manning MD, Hayes GA, Haynes PA, Marshall IN,
TE (2) Walsh or WR/Looking to sign 1 more Orwerth MO, Peters MN, McIntyre NE,
OT (3) Johnson and Tripp both MN; 1 more Mister IN, a few others
IOL (2) Williams MN,1 more Daniels(OH), a few others
Walk on Punter McGrath
DT (2) Owusu MN, 1 more between Gadson (GA) or Davis MN, I imagine we would take both
DE(2-3) None committed Yet Howard MN, A. Williams LA, Menz ND
LB (3) Elliott MN, 2 more from Chambliss CA, McCutchin TX, McIntyre NE, Newsom IA, Brantley CO
CB (2) Bryan GA need 1 more commit Moss LA, Fleming VA
S (1) none signed Cole FL, Thieneman IN

Dream scenario
QB Viotto
RB Williams and Taylor
WR Cooley, Manning, Brown
TE Orwerth, Walsh
OT Johnson, Tripp, Mister
IOL Williams, Daniels
DT Davis, Gadson, Owusu
DE Howard, A Williams, Menz
LB Elliott, Newsom, McIntyre/Chambliss/McCutchin
CB Moss, Bryan, Fleming
S Cole
ST McGrath P,
That is 26 scholarship players.

Best guess of current recruits to sign a class of 22 for 23
QB Viotto
RB Taylor
WR Manning and Hayes/Haynes
TE Walsh and Peters
OT Johnson, Tripp and Mister
IOL Williams
DT Owusu, Davis
DE Howard, Menz
LB Elliott, McCutchin, McIntyre
CB Bryan and 1 other
S 1

My Take:
Committed before June 17th (out of the June 10th group)
Ashley Williams DE
Ryan Manning WR
LeTreveon McCutchin LB
De'Eric Mister OT
Sam Peters TE

I am assuming this will be about a 22 person signing class.
Committed (10)
QB (1) Viotto Done here
RB (2)Taylor. Expect 1 more. Hope is M. Williams from PA
WR (3)Expect 2 to 3. Might consider Walsh a WR as he is a tweener with TE and Gophers still after a number of TE. 2/3 of these 6. Brown OH, Cooley NC, Manning MD, Hayes GA, Haynes PA, Marshall IN,
TE (2) Walsh or WR/Looking to sign 1 more Orwerth MO, Peters MN, McIntyre NE,
OT (3) Johnson and Tripp both MN; 1 more Mister IN, a few others
IOL (2) Williams MN,1 more Daniels(OH), a few others
Walk on Punter McGrath
DT (2) Owusu MN, 1 more between Gadson (GA) or Davis MN, I imagine we would take both
DE(2-3) None committed Yet Howard MN, A. Williams LA, Menz ND
LB (3) Elliott MN, 2 more from Chambliss CA, McCutchin TX, McIntyre NE, Newsom IA, Brantley CO
CB (2) Bryan GA need 1 more commit Moss LA, Fleming VA
S (1) none signed Cole FL, Thieneman IN

Dream scenario
QB Viotto
RB Williams and Taylor
WR Cooley, Manning, Brown
TE Orwerth, Walsh
OT Johnson, Tripp, Mister
IOL Williams, Daniels
DT Davis, Gadson, Owusu
DE Howard, A Williams, Menz
LB Elliott, Newsom, McIntyre/Chambliss/McCutchin
CB Moss, Bryan, Fleming
S Cole
ST McGrath P,
That is 26 scholarship players.

Best guess of current recruits to sign a class of 22 for 23
QB Viotto
RB Taylor
WR Manning and Hayes/Haynes
TE Walsh and Peters
OT Johnson, Tripp and Mister
IOL Williams
DT Owusu, Davis
DE Howard, Menz
LB Elliott, McCutchin, McIntyre
CB Bryan and 1 other
S 1
De Williams is a big nebby lean in talking to some folk... I doubt he commits..

I think we could get moss to commit this weekend.

Ravon could commit after his visit in 2 weeks depending on what McCutchin/chambliss do. As Ravon is being recruited as a l.b.

R.b. Williams is a gopher lean and I'm expecting him to commit after his visit in 2 weeks

It wouldnt shock me to see Howard commit. As I personally think we are in the lead...

Top Bottom