Official 2023 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

There’s a difference between “expecting” to make it to the NFL because you’re talented and think it should be given to you, and “expecting” to make it to the NFL because you’re confident in your abilities and work ethic, and you know that you’re willing to put in the time needed.

I think that in order to be among the best in the world at anything, at some level you NEED to have the expectation and confidence that you will make it and that you belong there.
No doubt

The original post of the conversation was “he and his dad know he is on a path to the nfl” implying they don’t care about money because it’s already in the bag.
Which is different than expecting to succeed. Taking it for granted as a given is what I was talking about.

And I don’t know or pretend to know anything about this guy or his dad. Another poster did. He probably has a great work ethic and his both humble and confident

There’s a difference between “expecting” to make it to the NFL because you’re talented and think it should be given to you, and “expecting” to make it to the NFL because you’re confident in your abilities and work ethic, and you know that you’re willing to put in the time needed.

I think that in order to be among the best in the world at anything, at some level you NEED to have the expectation and confidence that you will make it and that you belong there.
Precisely the point. Having confidence in one's abilities and work ethic does not mean he feels entitled.

No doubt

The original post of the conversation was “he and his dad know he is on a path to the nfl” implying they don’t care about money because it’s already in the bag.
Which is different than expecting to succeed. Taking it for granted as a given is what I was talking about.

And I don’t know or pretend to know anything about this guy or his dad. Another poster did. He probably has a great work ethic and his both humble and confident
You read the original post and the following post in a way to enable disagreement.

You read the original post and the following post in a way to enable disagreement.
The way you wrote it that’s how it reads. Sorry if you weren’t clear. You basically said they don’t care about college money because they know pro money is on the way. Sorry if I took that as you saying it was guaranteed

The way you wrote it that’s how it reads. Sorry if you weren’t clear. You basically said they don’t care about college money because they know pro money is on the way. Sorry if I took that as you saying it was guaranteed
You took it wrong.

Getting an official visit from him feels big.
I was thinking the exact same thing.....he has no reason to make an official to the U if he's not serious about committing. He's been there plenty of times (including the spring game). I'm optimistic about out chances.....which mean I'll be let down LOL

Disclaimer - I know nothing about Jaxon Howard as a person.

But - in today's climate, I'm pleasantly surprised when any talented athlete comes through the process and emerges with any sense of self-awareness or humility.

We - meaning sports fans, the media, etc - identify these kids at younger and younger ages. we heap praise on them. people want to befriend them - often with ulterior motives.

imagine being 13, 14, 15 years old, and having everyone telling you that you're the greatest thing since sliced bread. imagine having people constantly trying to tell you what you should do. imagine people offering to "help" you - which could mean helping themselves to your wallet. Imagine the constant pressure from coaches, recruiters, the media, over-zealous fans, etc.

and through all of that, you're still just a kid- trying to figure out who you are and what you want to do.

now, add NIL and big money to the mix.

Like I said, it's a minor miracle that any kid comes through that process without getting completely screwed up. The ones who do come through - IMHO - have good parents and a strong support system. Let's hope young Mr. Howard falls into that category.

Disclaimer - I know nothing about Jaxon Howard as a person.

But - in today's climate, I'm pleasantly surprised when any talented athlete comes through the process and emerges with any sense of self-awareness or humility.

We - meaning sports fans, the media, etc - identify these kids at younger and younger ages. we heap praise on them. people want to befriend them - often with ulterior motives.

imagine being 13, 14, 15 years old, and having everyone telling you that you're the greatest thing since sliced bread. imagine having people constantly trying to tell you what you should do. imagine people offering to "help" you - which could mean helping themselves to your wallet. Imagine the constant pressure from coaches, recruiters, the media, over-zealous fans, etc.

and through all of that, you're still just a kid- trying to figure out who you are and what you want to do.

now, add NIL and big money to the mix.

Like I said, it's a minor miracle that any kid comes through that process without getting completely screwed up. The ones who do come through - IMHO - have good parents and a strong support system. Let's hope young Mr. Howard falls into that category.
To your last paragraph, consider his dad, Willie Howard, played at Stanford and was a 2nd round draft pick of the Vikings. Is now a high school football coach (HC at Cooper.

I am very confident Jaxson is mature, well grounded in a good family, and has a strong work ethic. These are reasons his college decision will not be as influenced by NIL as many others in less fortunate family situations.

So June 10th appears to be the big recruiting weekend for PJ this summer. Go get em!
Yeah I wonder if other schools try to have a big weekend like that. Most of the visitors are already committed here, gotta be nice to meet future teammates.

Yeah I wonder if other schools try to have a big weekend like that. Most of the visitors are already committed here, gotta be nice to meet future teammates.
247 shows 15 visits for the 10th with 7 uncommitted currently. I'm sure the number of visitors could change but that seems like a good mix of commitments to influence the uncommitted guys.

I'm getting more impress with the Howard family every day.

https://247sports.com/player/ashley-williams-46130521/ would be a nice pull from Louisiana, has an official schedule for here as well as Nebraska.
https://247sports.com/player/tavion-gadson-46131668/ another big time out of state player visiting for an official on June 10th.

Hilarious that we are in the mix for this caliber of players from the Deep South - never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that was possible.

Go PJ Go PJ🕺😎

I see our top targets list includes some new names and a number of guys listed as warm. Have noticed with 247 that when guys are listed as top targets and warm they often end up committing. Obviously no guarantees on anything though.

Chili ... warming ....

Was looking at the targets list on 247 and this new addition to the high choice list with a warm designation caught my eye:

Not too often when we are listed as warm along with the likes of Clemson, FSU and Oklahoma. Kid has a pretty amazing offer list for a player who doesn't even have a 247 rating score much less a composite.

Was looking at the targets list on 247 and this new addition to the high choice list with a warm designation caught my eye:

Not too often when we are listed as warm along with the likes of Clemson, FSU and Oklahoma. Kid has a pretty amazing offer list for a player who doesn't even have a 247 rating score much less a composite.
He's scheduled an official for June 17th. Pretty impressive, his other visit scheduled is to Clemson.

Hilarious that we are in the mix for this caliber of players from the Deep South - never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that was possible.

Go PJ Go PJ🕺😎
I was thinking the exact same thing.....are we looking through maroon colored glasses, or are we seeing a completely different level of recruits coming to visit?

I was thinking the exact same thing.....are we looking through maroon colored glasses, or are we seeing a completely different level of recruits coming to visit?
Always hard to tell but it feels like the caliber of recruit (at least according to the recruiting sites) that we are in the mix with has gone up a little in this current cycle.

Gopher Global Warming confirmed!

Top Bottom