Official 2023 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

You have no idea what has transpired prior to the offer. Maybe they’ve spoken with his family 20 times and the offer was made verbally but the kid hadn’t tweeted about it. Maybe these other schools offered with no prior communication, which is worse.

Yeah, the recruiting sites are plugged in, really plugged in, but they are not directly involved in the recruiting of a player and have to go off what is put out there publicly by the recruit or through their sources with the teams.

For all we know maybe Iowa State is just really good at putting out info about offers quicker than other places.

We were also in the heart of trying to win a division at that point in 2019. Not sure what Iowa St's situation was that year but Nebraska was dead and probably on the hunt start recruiting...Iowa beat us to the punch by 2 days.

For all we know maybe Iowa State is just really good at putting out info about offers quicker than other places.
Like I said, Iowa St goes around and offers every kid with a pulse in Minn. I'm not worried about that.

But others have brought up fair points. I concede the point. As usual, I'm just trying to provoke discussion. :cool:

Sounds like a lot of guys in town this past weekend. 1st QB offer as well. Highly recruited kid.

‘You can’t let Anthony Brown leave Ohio’: Electric 2023 WR is committed to Minnesota, but the Buckeyes are lurking

As a member of the Class of 2023, he has plenty of time before he has to make a final college decision — and there’s plenty of time for other programs to continue evaluating a player who, if he were 2 inches taller or played in a different part of the country, might be ranked higher than the No. 302 overall prospect in the class.

Except Brown isn’t concerned with any of that. He believes he’s already found the right spot, which is why he surprisingly committed to Minnesota on Sept. 4.

“Coach P.J. Fleck is building something great there,” Brown told The Athletic. “I want to be a part of that. I wanted to be a part of something that’s being built, not something that’s already built.”

Landing Brown is no doubt a major coup for Fleck, who’s signed nine composite four-star prospects at Minnesota since 2017. Brown would be another. He’d also represent another nice win in Ohio for Fleck’s program, which holds a commitment from 2022 four-star Lakewood St. Edward linebacker Trey Bixby.

Actually signing Brown, though, could present a challenge.

“I was shocked that he made that move that quick because there’s so much time,” Douglass said. “He got out to a lot of places this summer. But you’re talking about being in your junior year now, and (coaches) can really talk to you. I just think there’s a lot of time in between now and when he has to sign. I’m not saying that means he isn’t going to Minnesota. I know Coach Fleck and they were priming the pump. They were priming the shit out of that pump that weekend. You know? He’d be saying, ‘What a great time to be here,’ and he’ll be talking fast. He’s a fast talker. I like him, but he’s a fast talker. So, we’ll see what happens down the road.”

However, there are other potential larger threats to Minnesota, two programs that haven’t offered just yet.

“Ohio State is probably first, but Notre Dame, they’ve been beating on the door pretty hard,” Douglass said.

Go Gophers!!

“Being an Ohio kid, they’re slow to pull the trigger. But I know they will continue to recruit him. They’ve told him those things. I’m pretty sure down the road they’re gonna pull the trigger. You can’t let Anthony Brown leave Ohio.”

This makes me feel better about the situation. It's literally the Rashod Bateman scenario where you let the man feel like he's your backup plan -- hopefully he has the stones Bateman did to sit across from Day and say NO!

2023 Minnesota OL Jerome Williams talks new Gophers offer​

ByRYAN BURNS 11 hours ago

"I've been hearing the most of late from Minnesota, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Nebraska, Missouri, Notre Dame and Illinois," 2023 Osseo (Minn.) offensive lineman Jerome Williams said to 247Sports. "I've been to a couple of Minnesota games. NDSU and SDSU plan to have me back up there in the spring, Notre Dame is interested and I'll be hearing from them again at some point. Illinois and Nebraska want me to visit and I might visit Missouri in November."

"From Minnesota, I've been talking with offensive line coach Brian Callahan, tight end's coach Clay Patterson and head coach PJ Fleck," Williams explained. "I was talking with Cally and Fleck last night when the Gophers offered. They told me they really love the way I play and they want me to get more familiar with their culture and program at Minnesota. Callahan has told me how he's impressed with my athleticism and how aggressive I am as an offensive linemen."

This isn't an offer that Williams will soon forget.

"This is huge. I'm really excited to have an offer from my hometown school. The love from Gopher fans is unmatched. My family is all very excited too. I'll tell you, now that Minnesota has offered, my interest is pretty damn high. It's home, a good coaching staff and the culture at Minnesota is second to none. I'll be back to see things again in the next two weeks."

"This is huge. I'm really excited to have an offer from my hometown school. The love from Gopher fans is unmatched. My family is all very excited too. I'll tell you, now that Minnesota has offered, my interest is pretty damn high. It's home, a good coaching staff and the culture at Minnesota is second to none. I'll be back to see things again in the next two weeks."
I like the sound of that!

Gophers have offered Osseo OT Jerome Williams. Only other offer at this time for D1 is Iowa State.
Curious if you are making that statement as a positive or a negative towards Williams? You didn't seem overly thrilled about the recent addition to the 2022 class so that makes me think this comment wasn't meant to cast Williams in a good light.

Curious if you are making that statement as a positive or a negative towards Williams? You didn't seem overly thrilled about the recent addition to the 2022 class so that makes me think this comment wasn't meant to cast Williams in a good light.
Always thrilled with adding players and getting them early in the process. I was being sarcastic about the TE from Texas as others joke about MAC offers. I love that get as well. If Fleck and crew wants them, I am good with any get. I think the kid from Osseo now has other offers coming in.

Jerome Williams Osseo, MN is in 2 of my classes at osseo as I am a junior as well. Let’s just say unless he pulls some crazy blue blood or SEC school offer we can expect him to stay home.
Good to hear. Looks like a nice player, especially for instate.

Jerome Williams Osseo, MN is in 2 of my classes at osseo as I am a junior as well. Let’s just say unless he pulls some crazy blue blood or SEC school offer we can expect him to stay home.
Osseo is Gopher Country! I used to live up there and miss Reuan Thai, yummy.

Always thrilled with adding players and getting them early in the process. I was being sarcastic about the TE from Texas as others joke about MAC offers. I love that get as well. If Fleck and crew wants them, I am good with any get. I think the kid from Osseo now has other offers coming in.
Sounds good, one of the obvious drawbacks to these boards is that tone can be tough to judge.

With our stud RBs it would be nice to get a 5⭐️ RB to commit this class

Top Bottom