Official 2022 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

Minnesota commit, Shippensburg’s Anthony Smith looking to cement his legacy in final year with Greyhounds​

“I’ve got to clean that up,” the Shippensburg senior said.

Especially for those Big Ten postgame pressers when he gets to Minnesota.

“Yeah, I just really need to stop doing that,” he said with a laugh.

But that’s about all you will get out of Smith about the Golden Gophers right now — sure, he’s excited about heading to play college ball there when this ride is through — but he has one more go-round with the Greyhounds and he intends to make it special.

“When people look at Pa. high school football this year,” he said. “I want them to think, ‘Anthony Smith.’”

Go Gophers!!

He took official visits to Wisconsin, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Iowa. Not to Minnesota.

Granted, he lives 45mins from campus, so he can stop over literally any time he wants.

Would be great if he came to see the Ohio State game and stood on our sideline! I'm quite sure OSU coaches would be cool with that. They'd be thinking "absolutely! come watch us smash this little team, on their dime!"

I don't think B1G teams pay each other like they pay for OOC opponents, or am I wrong?
No no ... I'm talking about how the Gophers would be picking up the tab for whatever expenses there are for Hinzman to attend the game and/or stand on the sideline during the OSU game. He'd probably get invited to the locker room pregame. Probably to a VIP area with catered food as well. (taking a guess there). Assuming his parent(s) would be invited to come as well. We'd pick up the tab for all that.

The thing with Hinzman is that Wisconsin has A LOT of recent O Line recruits that are super highly rated. Granted most are tackles (even though there could be some shuffling around). I guess our argument outside of being closer to home is that he would probably have a much easier time getting on the field sooner.

Carson Hinzman announced Gophers, Buckeyes, and badgers are his top three according to this tweet:

In the short clip he really didn't mention the Gophers that much though, perhaps in the longer interview he did. Hopes to announce in early October.

Carson Hinzman announced Gophers, Buckeyes, and badgers are his top three according to this tweet:

In the short clip he really didn't mention the Gophers that much though, perhaps in the longer interview he did. Hopes to announce in early October.
I thought we were out of the running for him -- not confident but thanks for posting!

We potentially lose like 4-6 starters from this year by the 2023 season?

It's rare for a true freshman to play on the OL, but certainly as a 2nd year Hinzman would have a great chance to start for us. Closest school for family to drive to.

This guy is apparently a lot like Quinn Carroll(can't sniff the field by the way) in that he visits the gophers all the time, but it's more for show.

Gophers wins will convince these type players to cross the border to the light. For years, Wiscy has been harvesting top MN talent.

The Gophers are closing in on the top of the B1G West.

In the short clip he states WI and OSU are the two schools he is considering, but MN is recruiting him the hardest. Not sure if that keeps us in the running or not.

I would think being a three year starter in MN is better than 1 or 2 in WI. Plus, if Fa'alele is a 1st rounder and we have 1 or 2 other lineman drafted its hard to argue the NFL angle with Fleck here.

It would make sense for the Gophers to be a "courtesy" visit, if he was actually a Minnesota kid.

But he's from Wisconsin. He doesn't owe the Gophers anything.

In the short clip he states WI and OSU are the two schools he is considering, but MN is recruiting him the hardest. Not sure if that keeps us in the running or not.

I would think being a three year starter in MN is better than 1 or 2 in WI. Plus, if Fa'alele is a 1st rounder and we have 1 or 2 other lineman drafted its hard to argue the NFL angle with Fleck here.
3 lineman being drafted could be an outlier -- Wisconsin and Ohio State have a much more robust argument regarding the NFL angle than we could for at least 5 years.

It would make sense for the Gophers to be a "courtesy" visit, if he was actually a Minnesota kid.

I think the argument is that his hometown is actually really close to the Twin Cities. It's similar to all of the people in Moorhead who technically reside in MN but are huge fans of UND hockey. We may have a chance who knows.

The video clip certainly doesn't bode well for our chances but you never know until a kid actually commits. No shame in losing out on an O-lineman to Wisconsin or Ohio State but would be awesome if he decided to come here.

I think the argument is that his hometown is actually really close to the Twin Cities. It's similar to all of the people in Moorhead who technically reside in MN but are huge fans of UND hockey. We may have a chance who knows.
Correct, that's a valid reason why I think we actually do have a chance.

I'm saying, if he was from Roseville, or Bloomington, or something like that, he might get the normal pressure to "include" the Gophers in his final three, out of some sense of "state loyalty", but with 0.000% actual chance of selecting them.

Once you cross that river, all of that nonsense goes up in a poof of smoke.

Last edited:

The video clip certainly doesn't bode well for our chances but you never know until a kid actually commits. No shame in losing out on an O-lineman to Wisconsin or Ohio State but would be awesome if he decided to come here.
It certainly felt like at the moment we are #3 on his list, but there is SOMETHING about Gophers/Fleck that feels right even though everyone in his life is probably pushing OSU/WI…

It certainly felt like at the moment we are #3 on his list, but there is SOMETHING about Gophers/Fleck that feels right even though everyone in his life is probably pushing OSU/WI…
And that something is the it factor, and his subconscious knows he can unlock the best version of himself by coming here!

Just going off that video, he barely mentions the Gophers! Seems like WI/OSU are primary

Now, this video is a clip taken out of context. It's possible something more was mentioned about the Gophers earlier. Whether its something to indicate that he is actually considering them, or if it was just the interviewer bringing that up we don't know.

I could also see this as a "Hey OSU, Wisconsin things have gone a bit quiet maybe I'll go to Minnesota because they seem to really want me." type move to try to leverage the MN recruitment to get one or both of them to re-confirm the offer is commit-able? IDK.

And Quinn Carroll isn't only a Minnesota kid; his dad played TE for the Gophers. You have to make courtesy visits in that situation. I can't think of any reason Hinzmann's visits would be courtesy visits; more likely, they reflect enlightened self interest--in case his assumed targets, OSU and the Badgers, turn out to not be the best fit for him. He knows that the Gophers are growing a stable of NFL lineman, and that he'd be welcomed with open arms. We're #3 at the moment, but that is still better than having been eliminated.

This guy is apparently a lot like Quinn Carroll(can't sniff the field by the way) in that he visits the gophers all the time, but it's more for show.
Hope you're wrong. If the guy truly has no indication of coming here and is simply milking the system to go to games, I'd be very disappointed. Then again, who knows...maybe we get some of these guys once in a while so you don't want to burn a bridge.

Quinn Carroll isn't even on the two deeps. Meanwhile.....Joe Alt (freshman) of Totino is backup LT.

The grass isn't always greener.....

Quinn Carroll isn't even on the two deeps. Meanwhile.....Joe Alt (freshman) of Totino is backup LT.

Quinn is playing special teams, and I would welcome him here as a transfer.

I think being mentioned with the likes of OSU and even Wisconsin is a positive sign for Minnesota even if this guy picks OSU or Wisconsin. OSU is a national brand and UW is a national brand for linemen. They do a great job of keeping their own guys home. When a top 4 OL at his position is looking at Minnesota, that gets attention nationally amongst other recruits at that position. Minnesota may not be the front runner, but you have to at least be in the race to win. Only 3 are and Minnesota is one of them.

I also don't think he'd mention Minnesota just to go to games. I don't believe the coaching staff would miss something that obvious. There has to be some real interest there.

Joe Alt actually played some snaps last week for the Domers.

Top Bottom