Official 2022 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

Here's an article with a bit more info. Sounds like Gophers are back of the pack, but still in it.

"Then there is Minnesota who still continues to hang around in this recruitment.

'To be honest, they're kind of in the back right now," Hinzman said. "I know Columbus is a big city, but I've never been a huge Minneapolis as a city fan so that's what pushes them out further for me. But Coach Cally is a great coach and Coach Fleck and those guys have a great culture as well.'"

Here's an article with a bit more info. Sounds like Gophers are back of the pack, but still in it.

"Then there is Minnesota who still continues to hang around in this recruitment.

'To be honest, they're kind of in the back right now," Hinzman said. "I know Columbus is a big city, but I've never been a huge Minneapolis as a city fan so that's what pushes them out further for me. But Coach Cally is a great coach and Coach Fleck and those guys have a great culture as well.'"

If its the big city he has a problem with, he can just drive across the river back to his hometown every night. Hell, maybe there is a NIL deal in it for some dealership in Hudson or Stillwater!

He must not have NFL aspirations since they're all big cities.

All joking aside, if thats the drawback, it seems like nothing anyone at the U has control over and only doing well on the field may change it.

If he doesn't like Minneapolis, sell him on St Paul, I'm a long term transplant and the differences between the cities are quite apparent.

It takes what, two to three years for a lineman on average to bulk up and be productive?

Being a starter sooner in a place like Minnesota might be a higher likelihood than Notre Dame or Alabama.

Quinn Carroll got hurt his first year and has not played as an OL. JC Hassenauer played much later. He ended up being a UDFA and is now with the Steelers.

Yea, I think PJ Fleck will welcome Quinn Carroll as a transfer. Callahan seems to know how to develop OL to be productive. He is bound to see a few of his guys in the NFL starting with the next NFL Draft.

He gone...

He gone...
I mean, you would think, if he has a legit offer to Ohio State.

The last six seasons, 4 out of 6 of the Big Ten OL of the year have been won by an Ohio State player.

Would think our best chance is if coaches can sell him on best chance to play early.

I feel pretty confident that at least 5-6 guys will emerge from this group as competitive B1G caliber players
I get what you're saying and I'm not disagreeing.

But man that defnintion is giving me flashbacks to the ML7 arguments about how "Mitch isn't a B1G quarterback" and yet ... there he is obviously playing as a B1G quarterback ;)

Here are the rankings using just 247's own ratings, which to me is just as valid as the composite given that the other services included aren't necessarily very good (having to take other posters' word on that): https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/TeamRankings/

Still #48 -- but the point is, that ranking is based on "Points" which factors in the total number of commits.

Look at the average rating of the commits we have. It's higher than some of the schools "ranked" above us by "Points".

Our average (again just 247's ratings) is 86.0, while Virginia Tech #19 average is 85.7. Hmmm ...

Here are the rankings using just 247's own ratings, which to me is just as valid as the composite given that the other services included aren't necessarily very good (having to take other posters' word on that): https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/TeamRankings/

Still #48 -- but the point is, that ranking is based on "Points" which factors in the total number of commits.

Look at the average rating of the commits we have. It's higher than some of the schools "ranked" above us by "Points".

Our average (again just 247's ratings) is 86.0, while Virginia Tech #19 average is 85.7. Hmmm ...
Interesting that there is just one 5 star commit on this list. So, the team ranks will definitely change considerably. However, the five stars will likely go to teams already ranked above Minnesota, so our rank will not change much. Just saying . . .

And that one guy is currently committed to FSU. With the season they're having, yikes!

Nice that he got bumped. Even so, this class overall AVG is not looking great. Sitting 10th in B1G right now with Wisc and Iowa right behind Gophs...and we know that will change. Unless there are some big surprises on the horizon this will end up as a very average class.

Nice that he got bumped. Even so, this class overall AVG is not looking great. Sitting 10th in B1G right now with Wisc and Iowa right behind Gophs...and we know that will change. Unless there are some big surprises on the horizon this will end up as a very average class.
Yeah, I have mixed feelings about the recruiting. I think we've seen PJ really likes to get early commits and is ok if they are 3-star guys. I think we all hoped/thought he'd regularly be going after (and getting some) higher ranked guys.

With the smaller classes the last 2 years I think PJ has taken the approach of taking the sure thing (mid to high) 3-star guys instead of rolling the dice to see if he can get some 4-stars (with the potential risk of having to take some lower 3-star or 2-star guys if you miss on the 4-stars).

I'm not sure what to make of the last 2 years. Ultimately if we win games, I don't care what our recruiting classes were ranked.

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about the recruiting. I think we've seen PJ really likes to get early commits and is ok if they are 3-star guys. I think we all hoped/thought he'd regularly be going after (and getting some) higher ranked guys.

With the smaller classes the last 2 years I think PJ has taken the approach of taking the sure thing (mid to high) 3-star guys instead of rolling the dice to see if he can get some 4-stars (with the potential risk of having to take some lower 3-star or 2-star guys if you miss on the 4-stars).

I'm not sure what to make of the last 2 years. Ultimately if we win games, I don't care what our recruiting classes were ranked.
I also suspect the transfer market will have him play recruiting a bit differently

I also suspect the transfer market will have him play recruiting a bit differently
I think PJ even said he was holding scholarships to accept transfers in.

How big of an impact have our incoming transfers had this year? Wright certainly flashed vs Ohio St. What other big games have the others had? At least effective contributions right? Or no?

The trouble with transfers is you don't know if they are turn-key ready even though you are getting players with maturity and experience. It may take some time to gel with the team. Jack Gibbens is a prime example. He has been an impact player against Purdue. Dylan Wright no doubt has shown his value early. Miles Pinckney and Val Martin have added some needed bodies to the DL.

Do you think PJ Fleck chose wisely this time around?

The trouble with transfers is you don't know if they are turn-key ready even though you are getting players with maturity and experience. It may take some time to gel with the team. Jack Gibbens is a prime example. He has been an impact player against Purdue. Dylan Wright no doubt has shown his value early. Miles Pinckney and Val Martin have added some needed bodies to the DL.

Do you think PJ Fleck chose wisely this time around?
Is that a real question?

Gibbens and Trickett have made major impacts already. Wright has shown flashes of being an explosive playmaker for us, Pinckney and Martin have both played in every game and been part of the D-Line which has shown massive improvement in providing a pass rush.

According to the participation report Shaw has seen action in a few games so far and was mostly brought in for next year anyway. So the only guy who hasn't seen the field from the transfer class is Mobley.

Fleck has done a very good job with transfers and the 2021 group looks like it may well be his best yet.

And those transfers should positively reflect on our recruiting ratings/rankings, IMO.

I think the services (247) know this, and are working on that too.

The transfer portal has completely changed the face of recruiting. These days, it's very easy to either gain or lose massive amount of talent from your roster any given year. In recruiting, you can get some 18 year olds that can potentially help you a few years down the road. Fleck has shown you can get 20-21 year olds that can help you RIGHT NOW in a place of need. These aren't kids that couldn't make it at another programs, he added Wright from Texas A & M, Pinckney from Clemson and you grab an All conference kicker. For someone like an Alabama, you probably already are fairly deep at every position, but this is a revolutionary concept for many teams such as Minnesota. You can restock very quickly with kids that can help you immediately.

If I were PJ, with the luck that he is having with these transfer portal kids, he probably will always want to leave several spots open for them. You want to recruit some of the 18 year olds in the traditional sense, but only the ones who will be developing and growing in your program for the next 4-5 years. Recruiting could be very different 5 years from now than it is today.

The transfer portal has completely changed the face of recruiting. These days, it's very easy to either gain or lose massive amount of talent from your roster any given year. In recruiting, you can get some 18 year olds that can potentially help you a few years down the road. Fleck has shown you can get 20-21 year olds that can help you RIGHT NOW in a place of need. These aren't kids that couldn't make it at another programs, he added Wright from Texas A & M, Pinckney from Clemson and you grab an All conference kicker. For someone like an Alabama, you probably already are fairly deep at every position, but this is a revolutionary concept for many teams such as Minnesota. You can restock very quickly with kids that can help you immediately.

If I were PJ, with the luck that he is having with these transfer portal kids, he probably will always want to leave several spots open for them. You want to recruit some of the 18 year olds in the traditional sense, but only the ones who will be developing and growing in your program for the next 4-5 years. Recruiting could be very different 5 years from now than it is today.
Alabama went out and got OSU's 6th receiver who is now starting and playing really well for them, they went and get Henry To'oto'to from Tennessee who is starting for them. I think this will help the Alabama's more than it will help the Minnesota's

Alabama went out and got OSU's 6th receiver who is now starting and playing really well for them, they went and get Henry To'oto'to from Tennessee who is starting for them. I think this will help the Alabama's more than it will help the Minnesota's
I was unaware of that. I am sure Alabama will find some way to benefit, but you wonder with their roster how much they will really need to get!!! I guess even they have holes to fill. Regardless, you can see this is revolutionizing the recruiting game. And don't forget the NIL deals in place. I imagine in a few years recruits will be signing to the school that can give them the next NIL deal!!!

I think PJ even said he was holding scholarships to accept transfers in.

How big of an impact have our incoming transfers had this year? Wright certainly flashed vs Ohio St. What other big games have the others had? At least effective contributions right? Or no?
Pickeny, Gibbens, have been huge helps on defense

Val Martin other DT, not as big as other two, but positive impact

Tricket is secured kicking spot

Is that a real question?

Gibbens and Trickett have made major impacts already. Wright has shown flashes of being an explosive playmaker for us, Pinckney and Martin have both played in every game and been part of the D-Line which has shown massive improvement in providing a pass rush.

According to the participation report Shaw has seen action in a few games so far and was mostly brought in for next year anyway. So the only guy who hasn't seen the field from the transfer class is Mobley.

Fleck has done a very good job with transfers and the 2021 group looks like it may well be his best yet.
He will exploit that to the max.

Top Bottom