Official 2022 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

We will lose a lot of game day playing experience after the 2021 season—more than we would lose in a typical season. Some other teams will be in the same situation. We have recruited a lot of talent that should be ready to step up to the plate in 2022 (with an extra year of seasoning for those who had to wait for the super seniors to move on). On paper, that new talent in many positions looks to have greater potential than the talent that moves on. But, one thing is certain: we will open 2022 with a starting roster that has much less game day playing experience than the roster that opens the 2021 season. That is a typical ebb and flow of college football. Good news is that we don’t open against tOSU in 2022; we start with New Mexico State then get Western Illinois. Timing is everything.

Yes, and in Jerry's last three years his Big Ten record was 10 and 9. 1 over .500
And Tracy Claeys only full season as head coach, he was 5 and 4 in the Big Ten. 1 over .500
PJ has lost ground at 44% in the program he inherited.
Let's not forget he did not recruit the principle performers from his 11 and 2 season.
So, on paper PJ has recruited some guys Bateman, Mo, Daniel, St. Juiste etc and he has had one great season but it's critical PJ wins 8 or more this coming season because we are likely to have no depth next season at many positions.
PJ could be good but I don't think we know if he's good yet.
8? 10 wins or bust!

Normally I trust the gophersports.com roster but is it accurate right now in terms of class designations with covid?

Faalele for example is noted as a senior. How? In his bio it states 2020 junior season - did not compete. With either covid eligibility or a RS year wouldn't that make him a JR still?

There are lots of examples throughout the roster like this. 247 scholarship grid only showed 12 (I think) seniors. Maybe we don't have 30+ seniors departing. The whole extra year is confusing and I think people are going to have to accept the numbers are going to be fluid for some time.

Are we going to pretend there is some significant difference between a .8655 and a .8555 class average? Because there isn't one. As as for the concept of a top 500.....

Is there really any possible way to accurately rate 1000s or players from all over the country into any sort of meaningful list from 1-500? Outside of the best of the best you are just throwing darts at a board and it all comes down to some evaluators opinion of some highlights for a lot of these kids.
I'd put a lot more faith in the Gophers team evaluations. Especially live ones. Sure, ratings are important. Some players are legitimately gifted athletes. Truly legitimate 4-Stars ahead of their peers. Some may even contribute right away. Rankings are just eye candy, and to me you are correct. Rankings are a lot closer than we think.

Nebraska's average ranking are always in the twenties. Yet, somehow the lower ranked Gophers managed to get more out of their recruiting talent.

Normally I trust the gophersports.com roster but is it accurate right now in terms of class designations with covid?

Faalele for example is noted as a senior. How? In his bio it states 2020 junior season - did not compete. With either covid eligibility or a RS year wouldn't that make him a JR still?

There are lots of examples throughout the roster like this. 247 scholarship grid only showed 12 (I think) seniors. Maybe we don't have 30+ seniors departing. The whole extra year is confusing and I think people are going to have to accept the numbers are going to be fluid for some time.
I wonder if underneath all this extra year year of eligibility if the Gophers are scrambling and aggressively recruiting for when a huge group if "Seniors" and early Draft Declarers leave. It makes me wonder why Gophersports removed all the class designations.

per Randy:

Jacob Knuth decided Minnesota was the college program for him back in February, giving a verbal commitment to Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck.

And when the quarterback from Harrisburg, S.D., made an unofficial visit to campus on June 1 and followed up with his official visit last weekend, he wanted to do more than just check out the facilities. He figured he had a job to do, too.

"Ever since I committed, I've put my recruiting hat on and started building relationships with other recruits that the Gophers were interested in and worked hard to get them in the boat as well," Knuth said.

As a QB, Knuth is tapping his leadership skills, and he has help in that task from future teammates, too. Wide receiver Kristen Hoskins of Alexandria, Minn., and Knuth met at a camp in Florida in December, and both three-star recruits committed to Minnesota around the same time. They've been spreading the Minnesota gridiron gospel since, and they helped the Gophers land running back Zach Evans of Rockwall-Heath (Texas) High School.

"They were both telling me about what the program offers, what they felt about their experiences in recruiting with coach Fleck," said Evans, a three-star recruit who made his official visit to Minnesota from June 11-13. "That had a big influence, too."

Go Gophers!!

Please please please please seal the deal with this kid somehow... Even though he's not announcing till nov. Somehow... Someway...
Good, he didn’t commit to Michigan despite all the crystal balls. I believe this is his last visit, nice spot for Fleck to show what a great place this is for WRs.

Good, he didn’t commit to Michigan despite all the crystal balls. I believe this is his last visit, nice spot for Fleck to show what a great place this is for WRs.
Hes only gone on 3 officials. Colorado. Mich. Us.. now georgia and aTm are heavily involved... He's not announcing till nov

Hes only gone on 3 officials. Colorado. Mich. Us.. now georgia and aTm are heavily involved... He's not announcing till nov
With Auburn in that mix too, I'm happy that he kept his commitment to visit us! Speaks highly of him.

Hope we can somehow "Bateman" him, if I can use that as a verb.

With Auburn in that mix too, I'm happy that he kept his commitment to visit us! Speaks highly of him.

Hope we can somehow "Bateman" him, if I can use that as a verb.
Did the host(s) do the Bateman Tour? Tattoo Parlor visit.

Just curious why we'd give Jerry a pass on year 1 and 2 (4-12 B1G record) but don't give that to PJ. He's 10-6 in the B1G if you give the same two-year pass.

The roster PJ inherited was one of the worst gopher rosters I've ever seen.

The 11-2 not being PJs guys is weird to me. There's this really important thing in football called the quarterback. That year, ours threw 3200 yards, 30 TDs and 7 picks. If Tanner only played that season and quit, the 30 TDs would be 9th in school history......for a career, not single-season. Mitch Leidner threw 36 TDs and 32 picks in four years and was hands-down the best from the kill/claeys era.
Yeah. No doubt Kill and claeys deserve some credit for having some good players on the roster. If you watched a drive and a half of football in the Kill/Claeys era you know that the offense is 100% fleck era.

9 wins was the peak of the kill era. You can’t win more than that without a credible passing game

Rather bateman him than monson him
I prefer this... but Munson is good too.

aTm is the one team I can see beating bama this year...

Jimbo is scary good this year... He knows it
I won't pretend that I follow SEC FB, but I do know their 4 year starter at QB is gone. I know Jimbo is the QB whisperer, but that's gotta be at least a mild concern, no?

Well, we certainly tangented off 2022 recruiting but my 2 cents on above is that it wouldn't bother me if Jimbo lost every game. Think he's a jerk. He bailed on FSU because he knew he had let the program slide and they were in for some rough years.

Wouldn’t get too worked up about losing guys to Stanford. I don’t think it matters how elite your program is, Stanford offers an incredible academic experience while also being in a power 5 conference, and I think it’s the dream school for a lot of people. Obviously you’d like to have him, but to me, losing a guy to Stanford says absolutely nothing about the state of the program

Agreed. Can't fault an athlete for going to an Ivy League especially Stanford with a top notch alumni network, location, and in a Power 5.

Last edited:

Agreed. Can't fault an athlete for going to an Ivy League especially Standford with a top notch alumni network, location, and in a Power 5.

Meme%2030%20%20Thats%20not%20how%20this%20works.ashx

Top Bottom