Official 2022 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

I think it's just WD40 and Mo. I'm not familiar, is high school football big out there?
Forgot about Mo, duh. I don't know about Baltimore itself, but that DC/Maryland/Virginia area is a pretty good football area to my knowledge. I think the Terps have pulled some good players out of there recently.

Ike white is going to be fantastic.. little shifty speedster out of the slot... Hope he commits . It will be alot of fun watching him in the years to come
Sounds like a lock if he is making an announcement before he even visits VT. Guessing he commits here and cancels that visit.

Ummm did you miss the Mason year's :)

At one point we had MB3, Maroney and Russell all in the same backfield. Not sure you can get much more loaded than that.

Love the potential of the guys we have and Evans looks like he could be a good one as well. The reality right now is that we don't know if any of the other RBs could be the guy if Mo were to go down. But the potential in the RB room is very high and it will be exciting to see what some of these guys can do when they get the opportunity. Hopefully they have to wait another full season to truly get that opportunity though as that would mean another full season of Mo carrying that ball. We all know how that goes with him being one of the best in the country.
Always wonder what would have happened if Mason could have survived until the opening of TCF. Would playing outdoors with a strong running game have mitigated his teams traditional struggles on defense? Not surprising that his three biggest upsets—Penn State (1999); OSU (2000); and Michigan (2005)—were road games. The Dome magnified our lack of speed on defense.

Krogh picking up CBs to Iowa. Numbers wise this would give us an edge for Hasert as Krogh would be the second OT verbal for Iowa. Gophers only have one.
Hasert to the Gophs would also be better from an "image" standpoint in getting a home grown kid to stay in State.

Football and crab cakes. That’s what Maryland does.
I went to the @Maryland game a few years ago with a sign that said, "Crab cakes are all that Maryland does," and got a lot of laughs from their fans. Until I flipped it to the other side that said, "Old Bay is also bad," which they were very much not OK with.

Maryland Dungeness Crabs!!! I visited with my uncle in MD back in the seventies. He served fresh caught crabs. There were simply delish.

The DC area has a big pool of D1 players. It will be good to establish a pipeline there.

Forgot about Mo, duh. I don't know about Baltimore itself, but that DC/Maryland/Virginia area is a pretty good football area to my knowledge. I think the Terps have pulled some good players out of there recently.
This could just be The Wire talking, but it wouldn't surprise me if many a talented young man does not make it out of the Baltimore streets ...

This could just be The Wire talking, but it wouldn't surprise me if many a talented young man does not make it out of the Baltimore streets ...
You could say that about many large cities. For as large as Kansas City is there are surprisingly few athletes that come from the city schools. The vast majority come from the suburbs. It’s not for lack of athleticism either.

Maryland Dungeness Crabs!!! I visited with my uncle in MD back in the seventies. He served fresh caught crabs. There were simply delish.

The DC area has a big pool of D1 players. It will be good to establish a pipeline there.
Sorry Hungan but Dungeness crabs are west coast (especially OR and WA) crabs. Extraordinary- sweet and a lot more meat than most of the east coast versions.

You could say that about many large cities. For as large as Kansas City is there are surprisingly few athletes that come from the city schools. The vast majority come from the suburbs. It’s not for lack of athleticism either.
Granted, those in the inner urban core with good talent might get scouted and brought out, or simply choose to go out, to the suburban feeder programs or private schools. Would not surprise me if this type of thing also happens in many large cities.

Sorry Hungan but Dungeness crabs are west coast (especially OR and WA) crabs. Extraordinary- sweet and a lot more meat than most of the east coast versions.
You are right Oregon Gopher. I checked with my sis in DC. It was Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs that we had.

Wonder why it had to be an unofficial, when we're bringing in guys left and right this month?

He's clearly from out of state, and he clearly has interest coming here. I guess there were five other schools he's more interested in and wanted to take officials to? Or what?

Wonder why it had to be an unofficial, when we're bringing in guys left and right this month?

He's clearly from out of state, and he clearly has interest coming here. I guess there were five other schools he's more interested in and wanted to take officials to? Or what?
Because he had his 5 officials elsewhere

I believe that his h.s. coach was a Gopher. After Hinzman, he is the OL who would be my next choice.
Ben Hamilton. O-line coach at his HS.

This high school also has George Gwozdecky as their hockey coach. He spent almost 20 years as HC at Denver. Looks like a Colorado version of IMG.

I'm going to throw this out there and more than likely get attacked, but, I'm not seeing the love from highly sought after players like I thought we'd be seeing. From what I recall, we had much higher rated players the last 2 years 'Warm' for the Gophers than I'm seeing at this point this year. How many 4 stars are warm? Yes, we have one committed, but others?

I know we want the players that want to be here etc., and we can coach up the lower rated guys, but as has been discussed over and over again, the higher rated players are the higher skilled guys. I'm not seeing interest with the 'highly skilled guys' at the level I thought it would be, to date.

What I'm trying to say, and I hate to type it (I want these guys to be good sooo bad!!), I'm getting worried recruiting might be taking a step (and it seems like a big step?) back?

Convince me I'm wrong please, because what is happening on the Basketball side, I really need football to be successful this year, AND I'd like to see recruiting stay on the upswing, but I just don't see it so far!?

Do you?

Last edited:

Ben Hamilton. O-line coach at his HS.

This high school also has George Gwozdecky as their hockey coach. He spent almost 20 years as HC at Denver. Looks like a Colorado version of IMG.
It is. The school is 10 minutes from me and pretty exclusive. They win in most sports and are very good academically with a strong religious focus as well.

It is. The school is 10 minutes from me and pretty exclusive. They win in most sports and are very good academically with a strong religious focus as well.
Do they get to play for championships against CO public schools?

What I'm trying to say, and I hate to type it (I want these guys to be good sooo bad!!), I'm getting worried recruiting might be taking a step (and it seems like a big step?) back?
Recruits don't know if 2019 was a fluke, after 2020. A lot of people don't know a lot about a lot of programs after 2020.

21 is going to be a major recalibration year, and I hope we can be close to as good as in 19 (Captain Obvious ... it was a great year).

Top Bottom