Official 2022 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

Not sure how Glen Mason would be doing if he somehow were still the coach today. He had a tendency to burn bridges with players and coaches. By now I'm not sure how many coaches would be still listening to him. Mason dug his own grave as a coach.

If Mason would have shown the same personality he does on the air now when he was head coach, he would have coached here as long as he wanted to. He's a sharp guy, but there seemed to be some block between him and the public, both the public at-large and the high school coaching community.

If Mason would have shown the same personality he does on the air now when he was head coach, he would have coached here as long as he wanted to. He's a sharp guy, but there seemed to be some block between him and the public, both the public at-large and the high school coaching community.
It does seem like he has mellowed.

Maybe that happened a little while at the U too, he told a story a while back that at one point he decided to tell all the coaches that working 60 hours a week wasn't helping / made no sense so he came up with a rule about when they could / couldn't come into the office to reduce the hours ... still was a lot but maybe part of a process.

But CFB land is a serious workaholic type world.

Mason would never have worked hard enough at recruiting to get where we want to go.

The thing about this year is there just isn’t as much tape on most of these kids. The camp circuit that JUST started on 6/1 is going to be very highly leveraged in the grading of these players. Ultimately I expect this class to be less accurately ranked than most and I think we have definitely seen that Fleck and his staff are willing and able to identify talent… and don’t rely on the recruiting services to do that for them.

The thing about this year is there just isn’t as much tape on most of these kids. The camp circuit that JUST started on 6/1 is going to be very highly leveraged in the grading of these players. Ultimately I expect this class to be less accurately ranked than most and I think we have definitely seen that Fleck and his staff are willing and able to identify talent… and don’t rely on the recruiting services to do that for them.
Not sure what the grades ultimately say, but I believe Fleck ultimately uses the above to his advantage relative to other coaches. Guys like Mo he was the best program to offer, Bateman he was in early and saw the talent, JMS was lightly recruited… CAB was lightly recruited… I’d imagine after a successful 2021 the 5 stars will follow.

Not sure how Glen Mason would be doing if he somehow were still the coach today. He had a tendency to burn bridges with players and coaches. By now I'm not sure how many coaches would be still listening to him. Mason dug his own grave as a coach.
What I have gleaned from the discussion of previous Gophers HCs is that several posters have chosen to find all these faults/shortcomings with them in their attempts to make Fleck look like the second coming of Murray Warmath.

Fleck may very well get there in time, but at this point, the road is long.

We are starving for success, so a return to the top is a legitimate wish.

What I have gleaned from the discussion of previous Gophers HCs is that several posters have chosen to find all these faults/shortcomings with them in their attempts to make Fleck look like the second coming of Murray Warmath.

Starving for success? Our last season that wasn't a covid season we were 11-2 and finished #10.

This ability to identify talent very early is a big win for PJ and his staff; and where Pitino and his staff couldn't keep up. Kudos to PJ et. al. on being able to consistently get in on recruits before the other teams show up.

Look, you can hold off on the idea of buying into Fleck as the guy to get it done but you have to work pretty hard to not see the shortcomings of the previous coaches and to see that we are on a different trajectory under Fleck than we were under previous coaches.

Just in recruiting alone we are light years ahead. We have gone from out recruiting MAC schools for guys to going head to head with and winning our share of recruiting battles against other power 5 squads.

Mason was done as soon as Ohio State hired Tressell. Kill "retired", Claeys wasn't a long term solution of any kind and Brewster was a mess because he wasn't ready to be a head coach when the opportunity was thrust on him. These failures/shortcomings aren't being manufactured to protect or promote Fleck, they are just simple realities that were plain to see.

Fleck and the UM isn't for everyone. I get it and so do others . Now PJ moves on to the next prospect.

Well I guess if he was going to end up in Iowa I would rather see him playing for the Cyclones than the Hawkeyes.
Frankly, tough not to say that the 'clones are the better program in that state, at the moment.

ISU over Iowa and Minnesota…interesting choice picking the least successful of the three as far as getting linemen drafted.
They've done fairly well on the field the last couple years.

Campbell has that thing rolling. Will not be shocked if he's gone after this coming season, if they have repeat success last 2020.

Frankly, tough not to say that the 'clones are the better program in that state, at the moment.
You would certainly have an argument.. however... The hawkeyes are perennially in the mix in the B1G west. Much tougher slate than iowa state

Always nice to lock up the instate guys, but if we landed a guy from out state rated similar to Hasert people would complain that it doesn’t move the needle.

You would certainly have an argument.. however... The hawkeyes are perennially in the mix in the B1G west. Much tougher slate than iowa state
I would agree that Iowa has a tougher schedule this year. I really like Kent State's program under Lewis. Will be interesting to see how close he can keep it in Iowa City, maybe even win if he follows the NDSU game plan from a few years ago. Iowa St has Northern Iowa, an FCS program but a decent one, still they should have no program winning.

And would say Colorado St is better than UNLV.

Last edited:

I would agree that Iowa has a tougher schedule this year. I really like Kent State's program under Lewis, will be interesting to see how close he can keep it in Iowa City, maybe even win if he follows the NDSU game plan from a few years ago. Iowa St has Northern Iowa, an FCS program but a decent won, still they should have no program winning.

And would say Colorado St is better than UNLV.
I agree with kent state. And I think that game will be much closer than some think.

Colorado state vs unlv.. I'm in complete agreement. Speaking of unlv.. with all that h.s. talent in and around vegas... How are they not relevant .. talk about needing to put a wall up to keep the talent in state

I agree with kent state. And I think that game will be much closer than some think.

Colorado state vs unlv.. I'm in complete agreement. Speaking of unlv.. with all that h.s. talent in and around vegas... How are they not relevant .. talk about needing to put a wall up to keep the talent in state
Probably not much different than here. Why stay in the same city you grew up in, to play for a middling to crappy Mountain West program -- even if they are playing in a really sweet, brand new NFL stadium -- when you can use your football skills to get out of town and go somewhere else?

Obviously the Gophers are in a far better spot than UNLV, wasn't saying it's apples to apples. Just the general idea.

Top Bottom