Official 2022 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

With middling programs like Minnesota, one great year is viewed as an outlier. Because of Covid, the Gophs never had a chance to build on 2019. Then came this season with Fleck's claim of his best team ever since he arrived and a 8-4 season with two really bad losses.

Any momentum in recruiting following 2019 is gone with the wind. We'd all like to see bright spots in the 2022 class, and there are a couple. The last few months of recruiting are less than stellar.

That loss to Iowa was costly from multiple angles. Fleck needs to get the mental part of the game against Ferentz figured out.
Cool story bro....Don't you have a bridge somewhere you need to be hiding under demanding tolls to cross?

With middling programs like Minnesota, one great year is viewed as an outlier. Because of Covid, the Gophs never had a chance to build on 2019. Then came this season with Fleck's claim of his best team ever since he arrived and a 8-4 season with two really bad losses.

Any momentum in recruiting following 2019 is gone with the wind. We'd all like to see bright spots in the 2022 class, and there are a couple. The last few months of recruiting are less than stellar.

That loss to Iowa was costly from multiple angles. Fleck needs to get the mental part of the game against Ferentz figured out.
Look, everyone! The Spirit of Christmas is here!

Cool story bro....Don't you have a bridge somewhere you need to be hiding under demanding tolls to cross?
Not a troll, just stating the obvious. You think Ferentz isn't living rent free in Fleck's head. That comment after last year's game about "taking the pig and leaving the timeouts" is probably hanging on a wall in PJ's office. And I'll bet Fleck had a post comment ready to go regarding it if the Gophs had won.

At this point, PJ is Ferentz' b--ch. 0-5 is embarrassing against a team that everyone on this forum said had less talent than Minnesota. PJ was able to scapegoat the ex OC this season. We'll see what happens next season.

""

Compensate for a rather meh recruiting class.

This should have been one of the classes where the 2019 season should have resonated.

PJ needs some more canoe pushers.
That might still take some time. Likely still need to show more consistent winning program and Jan 1 bowl games to get the better recruits. I think right now his method is to get guys that stick around for 3+ years and develop into great players that go to the next level. That can and does work.

Not a troll, just stating the obvious. You think Ferentz isn't living rent free in Fleck's head. That comment after last year's game about "taking the pig and leaving the timeouts" is probably hanging on a wall in PJ's office. And I'll bet Fleck had a post comment ready to go regarding it if the Gophs had won.

At this point, PJ is Ferentz' b--ch. 0-5 is embarrassing against a team that everyone on this forum said had less talent than Minnesota. PJ was able to scapegoat the ex OC this season. We'll see what happens next season.
With comments like these it is a wonder that anyone could possibly mistake you for a troll. I know the easiest thing to do would be to just put you on ignore but it is so much fun to watch you try and pretend you are a fan. You don't really think anyone is actually buying your act do you?

See, it's Pantherhawk.

I apologize if this has already been posted on here. Can't remember where I saw this, but data seems to indicate that the availability of the transfer portal is resulting in colleges signing fewer HS players as recruits.

In 2021 alone, FBS teams signed 2,215 high school seniors – about 400 fewer than in 2020 and 2019, according to data from 247Sports.com.

It will be interesting to see how this works going forward, but the initial indication seems to be that at least some colleges are signing fewer HS players because they can fill holes with more experienced players - and older, more physically developed players - through the portal.

So the days of signing 25 HS players in a class may be waning.

Which will also impact recruiting ratings.

If School X only signs 15 HS kids, they might get a low rating. But, if School X then brings in 10 players through the portal, the net effect outweighs the rating for the HS recruits.

I don’t know if that’s just the portal. Lots of guys taking on extra seasons too
I apologize if this has already been posted on here. Can't remember where I saw this, but data seems to indicate that the availability of the transfer portal is resulting in colleges signing fewer HS players as recruits.

In 2021 alone, FBS teams signed 2,215 high school seniors – about 400 fewer than in 2020 and 2019, according to data from 247Sports.com.

It will be interesting to see how this works going forward, but the initial indication seems to be that at least some colleges are signing fewer HS players because they can fill holes with more experienced players - and older, more physically developed players - through the portal.

If School X only signs 15 HS kids, they might get a low rating. But, if School X then brings in 10 players through the portal, the net effect outweighs the rating for the HS recruits.

Are we really going to continue to allow this douchebag troll to infect the content and quality of these threads?

Yeah I think the lower HS senior scholarship numbers are a temporary thing due to the extra covid year more than the transfer portal.

Every transfer in, who takes a scholarship, left one open at his last school. It's a zero sum game. It doesn't change the number of HS seniors needed every year.

I bet Fleck did not. Can't recall him ever making snide comments like these other coaches. Everyone on this forum said Iowa had less talent every year for the past 5?

If everybody just stops right now, takes a moment and puts boomtime on ignore we wouldn't have these threads get infected with his posts that have no value.

If everybody just stops right now, takes a moment and puts boomtime on ignore we wouldn't have these threads get infected with his posts that have no value.
I guess if you can't come up with a valid response to my posts, that would be a good strategy.

In the meantime, I'll scour 24/7 and Rivals for the latest commitments to see where PJF is finding guys.

I bet Fleck did not. Can't recall him ever making snide comments like these other coaches. Everyone on this forum said Iowa had less talent every year for the past 5?
“Living rent free” describes him best in his mom’s basement.

I can see this trend continuing. As teams sign less out of high school, the talent pool out of high school trickles down a bit. That will result in more talent at lower FBS and FCS programs, possibly creating an even bigger transfer portal down the road.

I can see this trend continuing. As teams sign less out of high school, the talent pool out of high school trickles down a bit. That will result in more talent at lower FBS and FCS programs, possibly creating an even bigger transfer portal down the road.
Aren't they just signing less high schoolers because the covid year bloated the rosters?

Aren't they just signing less high schoolers because the covid year bloated the rosters?
It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

I think we'll likely see teams take fewer recruits to keep more flexibility. With the scholarships they dont use, they'll give them to their PWOs for the year.

On paper, the Gophers 2022 commitments ranked 44th nationally. The rest of the Big Ten West: Purdue 36th, Iowa 39th, NW 42nd, WI 43rd, Illinois 45th, and NE 58th. They are pretty much in the same neighborhood except NE - https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

How the Gophers will do with transfer signees in this class? We are losing 11 players to the Transfer Portal and wish some of them stuck around - https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/TransferPortal/?institutionkey=24044

Last year, the Gophers signed Jack Gibbens just before NSD, Dylan Wright in late December, and Nyles Pinckney was in early January. The Transfer Portal was a positive gain.

This year, we'd like to see a repeat.
So I looked to get a more in depth look at those B1G recruiting rankings you mentioned.

In reality, the Gophers rank is based more on quantity than "star" quality. The average/recruit for Fleck's incoming kids is the lowest in the West, so as other teams get more guys, Minnesota falls probably into the 50s.

Thats only with 247's rankings, not the composite
Given the catchup sites are playing this year due to COVID I wonder just how reliable the composites are. Not everyone may have a ranking from all the services due to the lack of camps and what not. All just a crap shoot anyway. Class is on par with most of the conference outside of the handful of teams that generally recruit at a higher level or Ohio State which is up with the best in the Country.

Yeah but it is the off season and Boomy clearly doesn't have much going on since he has to post here even though he clearly can't stand the team and especially the coach. So if we all ignore him he will be really lonely and it is the holiday season and all so it is nice to help those less fortunate individuals out there just looking for a friend. :)

So I looked to get a more in depth look at those B1G recruiting rankings you mentioned.

In reality, the Gophers rank is based more on quantity than "star" quality. The average/recruit for Fleck's incoming kids is the lowest in the West, so as other teams get more guys, Minnesota falls probably into the 50s.
Illinois and Purdue have a lower average rating.

Sounds like hockey in a sense.

Sounds like hockey in a sense.
Right - like Mankato with all their 22 year-old freshman. Hard to judge their recruiting classes against high school kids.

Top Bottom