Official 2022 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

His 247 profile has Jr year highlights. Played stand up linebacker with surprising speed for his size and a great nose for the ball.
Just see photos on 247, maybe one of the other sites?

Somebody noted that we offered Gousby as a DB not a WR. Given our need for a burner WR to help stretch the field (we’ve got plenty of size at WR already), I wouldn’t be surprised—pure speculation—if Watson eventually played at WR instead of DB. This is a very fluid year with incomplete ranking information. Looks like PJ in this odd year is going with (1) his own “eye test” as to athleticism snd development potential, (2) an awareness of our specific needs (one being more speed), and (3) those who show a clear desire to play for the Gophers. I’m good with that.

Somebody noted that we offered Gousby as a DB not a WR. Given our need for a burner WR to help stretch the field (we’ve got plenty of size at WR already), I wouldn’t be surprised—pure speculation—if Watson eventually played at WR instead of DB. This is a very fluid year with incomplete ranking information. Looks like PJ in this odd year is going with (1) his own “eye test” as to athleticism snd development potential, (2) an awareness of our specific needs (one being more speed), and (3) those who show a clear desire to play for the Gophers. I’m good with that.
I’d be surprised if Watson switched to wr. While probably not quite as fast, Hoskins and White appear to fill the smaller quicker wr roles well.

We got a handful of smart and fast developmental players especially in the defensive backfield. PJ type of guys like someone said.

What will be a slight disappointment is if we come up short on the OL commitments.

Check out that neck! The only things missing are a couple of bolts.
latimer-e1501253296879.jpg

Most of 'em are already ranked around 3 star, 85-86 level, according to 247. There's just no consensus ranking on them. Kelly is rated as an 85. Ike White an 85. Tariq Watson an 86. Gousby 86 on 247 (84.66 consensus). Pyburn is also an 85.

Solid.
Realistically, Rivals is just going to slap a 5.5 on all of them and call it a day.

Realistically, Rivals is just going to slap a 5.5 on all of them and call it a day.
Rivals ranks lots of kids according to if they PAID to attend a Rival's camp. I much rather prefer to go by the 24/7 rankings, personally. Also... Rivals seldom modifies their rankings where you see more "bump ups" from 24/7.

Does anyone actually look at Rivals anymore? I've only ever looked at 247.

It's going to take more than 2019 to sell this as a program that can compete year in and year out for the B1G.... Especially if realignment happens. Look at wisc. They have been relevant for 20 years. They still can't compete with the major players for 5* studs... We are a long ways off from cracking top 20 recruiting classes year in and year out
What realignment?
A realignment would be stupid:

here is the argument for it….
Two best teams in the conference title game every year

here is the argument against it….
In an expanded playoff you guarantee one of your top 2 teams one extra loss

in a 12 team playoff the BEST scenario is 3 teams in one division in the top 11.
The top team loses to the 4th best team in the conference Giving the conference 4 bids.

PLUS all 7 in the big ten west should vote down any realignment proposals

What realignment?

in a 12 team playoff the BEST scenario is 3 teams in one division in the top 11.
The top team loses to the 4th best team in the conference Giving the conference 4 bids.

What realignment?? Have you not followed the cfp new format if it gets expanded?

Yeah I don't hear anyone really cite Rivals numbers much at all anymore. Often they're a weird outlier on composite stats and such.

Hoping there are a few rough diamonds in this group so far...

Nelson and Alvarez are the only 2 in the current class that feel like a bit of a reach in terms of projecting out what they could be vs. what they are now. But easy to see what the team likes about both of them.

As has been consistent with Fleck classes, the vast majority of the commits have legit power 5 interest from other schools.

This has the look of a depth class. Might lack some in the heavy hitters at the top but will be filled with guys that can potentially contribute to the team in meaningful ways, even if they don't end up being star players.

Of course there is still a ways to go, and there also remains the strong potential that guys will see significant ratings boosts over the course of the 21 season as the sites play catchup.

Other than the local kid Nelson who committed early and Alvarez who is coming off injury, they all have at least one P5 offer. I’m pretty intrigued by the wrs and cbs even though they aren’t rated high. White and Hoskins look dynamic, Kelly and Gousby look like St Juste clones and Watson can fly.

What realignment?

With the cfp changing to 12 teams possibly.. they want the top teams from the divisions... They will have just 1 division in all conferences... That is the most likey outcome of this.

With the cfp changing to 12 teams possibly.. they want the top teams from the divisions... They will have just 1 division in all conferences... That is the most likey outcome of this.
You are simply wrong.

the big ten doesn’t want 10th rated penn state playing 4th rated Ohio state. Because a loss drops penn state from the playoff.

They want 4th rated Ohio state playing 14th rated Iowa because a win puts a 3rd big ten team in the playoff.

1 against 2 guarantees one of your top 2 an extra loss. A more likely scenario now is the big 12 adding two teams so they can go divisions so they have a better shot at getting two in.

What is a preferred Walk-On vs. a Walk-On?
Short version: Preferred walk-ons arrive to college with a roster spot guaranteed for them. Walk-ons, however, arrive to college without a guaranteed roster spot. Neither preferred walk-ons nor walk-ons receive a scholarship their first year on campus. They both have the opportunity to compete for them in later years, but preferred walk-ons are often first in line for available scholarships.

Full version:
Click here

What is a preferred Walk-On vs. a Walk-On?

Basically, from what I know, a PWO means that the coach is basically guaranteeing them a spot on the team as a walk-on (with usually potential to earn a scholarship if they work hard). Regular walk-ons I believe have to go through some kind of tryout and see if they are able to earn a spot on the roster. Not sure when that happens though.

I also wonder how much the ratings have been affected by covid? How many of these kids had a full season last year? Some could receive a bump come fall.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see a couple more 4 stars arrive late in the class if we return to 2019 (or close) form.

Top Bottom