Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hence why our future looks dark at this point unless someone comes out of no where to save us.
You are either the most negative gopher fan I've seen on here(which is saying something) or you're a lurking fan of a different team.
Seriously look at this guys past posts, almost every football related post is negative and bashing the team.

You are either the most negative gopher fan I've seen on here(which is saying something) or you're a lurking fan of a different team.
Seriously look at this guys past posts, almost every football related post is negative and bashing the team.

Sad troll.

I see (according to ESPN) the mantra at Iowa State is 5 star culture versus 5 star players (Texas) and the 5 star culture won out. Maybe PJ should adopt this saying as part of his recruiting pitch.

whoa whoa whoa. didn't you know you can just say whatever you want with no factual backing and no one should challenge you on this? I legitimately don't understand why people post things like this that you can clearly just look up and show that they have been disproven
I mean look at the stuff folks think out there....

Sadly a lot of folks behave as you describe.

It'll be interesting to see how big this class is going to be. It's going to be such an odd year with all of the SRs getting another year of eligibility. I think we'll see a large number of 4th and 5th year SRs (with eligibility remaining) move on. But I'm not sure who those guys will be. This year of gained eligibility will have a ripple effect on recruiting for the next 5 years.

It'll be interesting to see how big this class is going to be. It's going to be such an odd year with all of the SRs getting another year of eligibility. I think we'll see a large number of 4th and 5th year SRs (with eligibility remaining) move on. But I'm not sure who those guys will be. This year of gained eligibility will have a ripple effect on recruiting for the next 5 years.

Ryan Burns touched on this a bit on his latest podcast. Supposedly there is not a lot of clarity about how many scholarships teams will be allowed for next season. The second wrinkle is that PJ expects there to be a one time free transfer waiver approved sometime this Winter. The staff wants to keep a relatively small recruiting class for now because they want to be involved in the transfer process (don't know how many will transfer out of Minnesota either) and because they think that some recruits who traditionally would commit to SEC powers might be available later due to everyone needing to take smaller Freshman classses. As for transfers in to the program, Ryan mentioned the Gophers looking for immediate help at wide receiver and linebacker (this podcast was recorderd before the Gibbens news).

I don't know if this means they are gone for sure, but both Durr and St. Juste posted Shrine Bowl invites (game won't actually be played this year) on their Twitter accounts. If both decide to leave, immediate help at cornerback becomes a pressing need.

Ryan Burns touched on this a bit on his latest podcast. Supposedly there is not a lot of clarity about how many scholarships teams will be allowed for next season. The second wrinkle is that PJ expects there to be a one time free transfer waiver approved sometime this Winter. The staff wants to keep a relatively small recruiting class for now because they want to be involved in the transfer process (don't know how many will transfer out of Minnesota either) and because they think that some recruits who traditionally would commit to SEC powers might be available later due to everyone needing to take smaller Freshman classses. As for transfers in to the program, Ryan mentioned the Gophers looking for immediate help at wide receiver and linebacker (this podcast was recorderd before the Gibbens news).

I don't know if this means they are gone for sure, but both Durr and St. Juste posted Shrine Bowl invites (game won't actually be played this year) on their Twitter accounts. If both decide to leave, immediate help at cornerback becomes a pressing need.

This is going to be a really interesting and confusing off season to be sure. I would expect there to be tons of moving parts all over the country as teams get it all sorted out roster wise heading into 2021.

Our entire defense needs immediate help. :(

9 days till the early signing period. This is so strange not to be hearing a lot of recruiting news.

9 days till the early signing period. This is so strange not to be hearing a lot of recruiting news.
I fully agree and would think COVID has a lot to do with it. Typically, there would be a slew of last minute visits to woo or flip recruits. Certainly a lot of states seasons being limited, canceled or postponed has an impact on activity as well.

The Gophers might be well rewarded by Flecks "get 'em early" approach this year.

Hopefully we can retain who we have committed, get an interior OL, DL ( Townley/McCoy) and another LB. Flipping someone (Hood) from a rival would we great.

Based on the solid class we already have, I'm ok with a quiet week heading into national signing day.

I'm surprised the NCAA didn't cancel the early signing period this year and just have the February signing after they decide if the the one time transfer rule will pass.

I'm surprised the NCAA didn't cancel the early signing period this year and just have the February signing after they decide if the the one time transfer rule will pass.
I think the NCAA has kinda given up / wants out of making more COVID related decisions if at all possible.

They already created the situation where folks retained eligiblity... but didn't open up more scholarship spots, so that means scholarships are now at an even greater premium for 2021, and years to come. In that way they've already thrown up their hands as far as fallout from their decisions go.

Last edited:

I fully agree and would think COVID has a lot to do with it. Typically, there would be a slew of last minute visits to woo or flip recruits. Certainly a lot of states seasons being limited, canceled or postponed has an impact on activity as well.

The Gophers might be well rewarded by Flecks "get 'em early" approach this year.

Hopefully we can retain who we have committed, get an interior OL, DL ( Townley/McCoy) and another LB. Flipping someone (Hood) from a rival would we great.

Based on the solid class we already have, I'm ok with a quiet week heading into national signing day.

McCoy is Golden!!

Comon' Townley grab an Oar!!

are there rumors that Hood will flip? Or just speculation or hoping

are there rumors that Hood will flip? Or just speculation or hoping

Though I feel silly writing it, I believe it's largely from Deven Eastern's mother's Twitter posts (namely, these two threads:
).

No idea if the pay-boards have more substantial rumors.

EDIT: Two "e"s in Deven. Fixed.

Though I feel silly writing it, I believe it's largely from Devin Eastern's mother's Twitter posts (namely, these two threads:
).

No idea if the pay-boards have more substantial rumors.
In any case, really cool to see a mom so proud of her kid and his future. Definitely get the sense they feel like a family, which is awesome to see. That isn't always the case.

In any case, really cool to see a mom so proud of her kid and his future. Definitely get the sense they feel like a family, which is awesome to see. That isn't always the case.

Absolutely. It seems like there's another fantastic group of parents coming in to the program. I'm just a little embarrassed that I know that.

Thoughts on McCoy?

According to 247, he is the lowest ranked commit in the class: https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2021-Football/Commits/

But of course it's very difficult to predict how a 3* will pan out at most P5 schools.
I like it. maybe more of a project...but we have a lot of underclassman on the roster so its not like he will be looked at to play much his first couple years but hopefully he can be a guy we can count on for the DT rotation when he is an upperclassman. With he and Schuster and more then likely Eastern coming in this class i feel good about the position

now lets secure Townley and flip hood and call it a class!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom