Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can't rely on the star ratings for DTs in particular alone. Steven Richardson 2014 was rated a low 3-Star (0.8141) was overlooked due to his height (listed 6' 0", actually looks shorter in person).

CoVid-19 is hurting live player evaluations. This is where the rubber meets the road.

I totally agree on star ranking but was more just impressed with how great his offers were

The monthly Top247 recruiting rankings for June is out for the top 36 players in the Big Ten. Ohio State is tops with 15, followed by Wisconsin with 6. Minnesota, Iowa, Maryland, and Michigan follow with 6 each, then Penn State with 2. Junior Ortiz did not make the top 36 list.

Avante Dickerson is at #19, Mar'Kiese Irving at #29, and Athan Kaliakmanis at #34..

Every Big Ten commit in the updated Top247 for 2021
By CHANCE LINTON Jun 18, Gopher Illustrated

--------------------------

19) Avante Dickerson | CB | Westside (Neb.)
9279275.jpg
(Photo: 247Sports)
Committed to: Minnesota
Measurables: 5-11 | 165
Top247 rank: 4-star | 93 rating | No. 139 Overall | No. 11 CB
Evaluation: Lanky, slender corner with short area acceleration and top end speed with ability to quickly recover. Does good job keeping plays in front of him. Smooth backpedal and gets in and out of his breaks. Good ball skills with ability to read quarterback eyes, break on ball and jump routes. Doesn't get grabby but plays with technique. Adequate tackler, needs to add weight and continue to get stronger for next level. Projects as multi-year Power 5 starter and second-day NFL draft selection. – 247Sports National Recruiting Editor Brandon Huffman
NFL Draft projection: 4-7 Round (Day 3)
Player comparison: David Long | CB | Los Angeles Rams

-------------------------

29) Mar'Keise Irving | RB | Hillcrest (Ill.)
Mar'Keise Irving'Keise Irving
(Photo: Allen Trieu, 247Sports)
Measurables: 5-10 | 175
Top247 rank: 4-star | 92 rating | No. 191 Overall | No. 13 RB
Evaluation: Compact back who does have some natural bulk to him but still needs to add more weight for the next level. A very good athlete who has excellent short-area elusiveness. Does a nice job of breaking tackles and staying on his feet through contact. Runs through arm tackles, has a nice stiff-arm and also runs with determination. Finds his way through traffic. Good burst and despite no record of verified times, can break long runs although he may not have elite top-end speed. Solid as a pass catcher but can still improve in that department. Can play in any scheme and has a skill set that projects well to college. Likely to be a lead back at the Power 5 level and has the tools to end up having his name called in the middle part of the NFL Draft. – 247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Allen Trieu
Player comparison: Marlon Mack | RB | Indianapolis Colts

-------------------------

34) Athan Kaliakmanis | QB | Antioch Community (Ill.)
9345095.JPG
(Photo: Ryan Burns - GopherIllustrated)
Measurables: 6-4 | 190
Top247 rank: 4-star | 90 rating | No. 237 Overall | No. 9 DUAL
Evaluation: Has good height. Still has a lot of room to fill in and needs to keep adding strength and bulk. Shows the arm talent to make all the necessary throws. Snappy, quick release with good ball speed and consistent zip on his short to intermediate passes. Athletic enough to escape pressure. Keeps plays alive and can make throws from odd angles without setting his feet. Calm under pressure and does not panic. Will stand in and make throws with pressure in his face. Good with his feet but not likely to be a consistent running threat in college. Still needs to keep working on reading defenses and making quick decisions while refining mechanics. Has physical tools and intangibles to be a Power 5 starter and develop into an NFL player. – 247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Allen Trieu
Player comparison: Kellen Mond | QB | Texas A&M Aggies
---------------------------
Kowalkowski is more accurate, smarter, stronger, younger, and native of Minnesota.

Kowalkowski is more accurate, smarter, stronger, younger, and native of Minnesota.

Seems like he should strongly consider a post-grad year. Youth is not an advantage when it comes to college sports.

EDIT: I should have added, "if he wants to play at a P5 school" to the first sentence.

I guess it's just a matter of time before that Alabama offer arrives.

No doubt. Kid is a can't miss superstar....in Tommyboy's mind at least....shame those stupid college coaches and talent evaluators just can't see it.

Have to give Tommyboy credit for persistence. Wonder how much communication he is sending directly to the program....I bet it is a lot....they probably have a special pile for all of it.

note: I wish nothing but the best for the kid, I hope he finds a good fit and has a lot of success at the next level. And it would be even better if he would just commit somewhere so that Tommyboy can head to their message boards and let them know how they just landed the most talented QB on the planet and a guaranteed superstar at the college level and probably future NFL HOF.

If I was Kowalkowski I would be so embarrassed that my dad was acting like this. Imagine when he actually gets to college how annoying it would be for your dad to be emailing your coaches, telling them why you should be playing and stuff.

No doubt. Kid is a can't miss superstar....in Tommyboy's mind at least....shame those stupid college coaches and talent evaluators just can't see it.

Have to give Tommyboy credit for persistence. Wonder how much communication he is sending directly to the program....I bet it is a lot....they probably have a special pile for all of it.

note: I wish nothing but the best for the kid, I hope he finds a good fit and has a lot of success at the next level. And it would be even better if he would just commit somewhere so that Tommyboy can head to their message boards and let them know how they just landed the most talented QB on the planet and a guaranteed superstar at the college level and probably future NFL HOF.
Dude I am a college kid, not his dad. You are probably saying the same thing about Lance's dad.

Dude I am a college kid that knows all these kids and played against them.

If I was Kowalkowski I would be so embarrassed that my dad was acting like this. Imagine when he actually gets to college how annoying it would be for your dad to be emailing your coaches, telling them why you should be playing and stuff.
Dude I am a college kid. Funny.

14 of 33 passes for 116 yards, team scored 6 points in the playoff loss vs Shakopee :unsure:
Shakopee probably had the best defense in the state last year. It was the first time they had been to the playoff since like 1981. They had their fist Div. 1 player since 1978. Kowalkowski scored their only points with a 10 minute drive and ran in against their Gopher commit. He was like 75% of their offense. They had a 5'9 guard going up against a 310 pound NG. They average like 1 yard a carry running the ball. Their #1 receiver was like 5'11 and ran a 5.2 forty. They still only lost be a TD.

Dude get a life, I am a college kid.

Top 50 Illinois high school football players from the Class of 2021

2. Athan Kaliakmanis, Antioch
6-4 | 190 | Dual QB | Minnesota

Nation's No. 11 dual threat quarterback prospect and the Golden Gophers second-highest ranked recruit in the current class. Picked Minnesota over Tennessee, Purdue, Boston College, Virginia Tech and Syracuse. Says Trieu: "Still needs to keep working on reading defenses and making quick decisions while refining mechanics. Has physical tools and intangibles to be a Power 5 starter and develop into an NFL player."

5. Mar'Keise Irving, Hillcrest (Country Club Hills)
5-10 | 175 | RB | Minnesota

Country's No. 20 running back prospect. Rushed for 1,733 yards and 22 touchdowns and added 405 yards receiving and four touchdowns last season. Picked Minnesota in April. Holds 24 offers, including Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Purdue, TCU, Utah and Wisconsin. Says Trieu: "Can play in any scheme and has a skill set that projects well to college. Likely to be a lead back at the Power 5 level and has the tools to end up having his name called in the middle part of the NFL Draft."

12. Cameron Jones, Simeon (Chicago)
6-8 | 280 | OT | Minnesota

A Top 50 tackle prospect nationally. Holds 18 offers including Arizona, West Virginia, Purdue, Missouri, Cincinnati, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan State and Kentucky. Committed to the Golden Gophers in late May. Says Trieu: "Generally raw after not playing offensive tackle early in his high school career but upside is there for him to start at the Power 5 level and his tools are that of a prospect that eventually could play in the pros."

18. Jameson Geers, Providence Catholic (New Lenox)
6-4.5 | 240 | TE | Minnesota

Nation's No. 26 tight end prospect. Owns a 4.98-second 40-yard dash and 30.6-inch vertical. His 18 offers include Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Northwestern, Purdue, Virginia and Wisconsin.

24. Dino Kaliakmanis, Antioch
6-2 | 188 | WR | Minnesota

Committed to the Golden Gophers over a year ago (in March 2019). His brother Athan is Illinois' No. 2 overall prospect. Also holds offers from Kansas, Toledo, Northern Illinois and Florida Atlantic.

Go Gophers!!

Dude I am a college kid, not his dad. You are probably saying the same thing about Lance's dad.

Who the heck is Lance? Seriously have no idea what you are referring to.

And the fact that you are a college kid makes your constant over hyping of this kid even more pathetic. I could kind of understand it from a delusional parent.... We get that you think he is the second coming, but you are not going to change anyones opinion of him for the better with the constant posting about him. All you are succeeding in accomplishing is making people not like him.

Because I have nothing better to do, I went and watched Kristoff Kowalkowski's 5 minute highlight film on Hudl

Alright, this kid is a nice little player. He's got a strong arm and has some good size. He lacks the high-end athleticism you'd want for a high-major QB. He's got some major mechanical flaws which he overcomes with his strong arm.

As far as his stats go - they're very mediocre (but that doesn't always tell the whole story). His completion percentage is right around 50% and his yards per pass attempt is right at 7. I've always felt Yards Per Attempt is the quickest way to judge someone. For reference, Tanner Morgan threw for 11.6 and 11.7 YPA his Freshman and Sophomore years, respectively. He transferred for his Junior and Senior years and those stats were not readily available. Looks like Jalen Suggs threw for 10.2 YPA this past year.

Looks like he's got some offers from some D-1 schools, so good for him. You're probably stuck with his bad mechanics (specifically hip rotation), but some teams will overlook this.

Who the heck is Lance? Seriously have no idea what you are referring to.

And the fact that you are a college kid makes your constant over hyping of this kid even more pathetic. I could kind of understand it from a delusional parent.... We get that you think he is the second coming, but you are not going to change anyones opinion of him for the better with the constant posting about him. All you are succeeding in accomplishing is making people not like him.
That's funny!

Because I have nothing better to do, I went and watched Kristoff Kowalkowski's 5 minute highlight film on Hudl

Alright, this kid is a nice little player. He's got a strong arm and has some good size. He lacks the high-end athleticism you'd want for a high-major QB. He's got some major mechanical flaws which he overcomes with his strong arm.

As far as his stats go - they're very mediocre (but that doesn't always tell the whole story). His completion percentage is right around 50% and his yards per pass attempt is right at 7. I've always felt Yards Per Attempt is the quickest way to judge someone. For reference, Tanner Morgan threw for 11.6 and 11.7 YPA his Freshman and Sophomore years, respectively. He transferred for his Junior and Senior years and those stats were not readily available. Looks like Jalen Suggs threw for 10.2 YPA this past year.

Looks like he's got some offers from some D-1 schools, so good for him. You're probably stuck with his bad mechanics (specifically hip rotation), but some teams will overlook this.
There is no love or hype for Minnesota High School football. I love how other states pump up their own kids, Minnesota fans love to rip them up. Jalen suggs 18 or 19 years old had about the same passing yards last year with 3 Div. 1 receivers, playing a spread and in 3 or 4A. This kid played in 6A at 15 years old with some lineman under 200 pounds and a receiver who runs a 5.2 forty in a power offense. I am talking FB not BB.

There is no love or hype for Minnesota High School football. I love how other states pump up their own kids, Minnesota fans love to rip them up. Jalen suggs 18 or 19 years old had about the same passing yards last year with 3 Div. 1 receivers, playing a spread and in 3 or 4A. This kid played in 6A at 15 years old with some lineman under 200 pounds and a receiver who runs a 5.2 forty in a power offense. I am talking FB not BB.

No Love? Your buddy Kristoff has 4 offers. Two of them are to Ivy League schools. He should be pumped, his parents should be pumped, you should be happy for your friend.

At this point, he hasn't been offered by the Gophers or any Power 5 school. This isn't likely to happen any time soon either.

Just cause we don’t think he warrants a gopher offer doesn’t mean we are ripping him.

LoL... the way you refer to 'kids' sure doesn't suggest you to be one. Also, everyone knows that obnoxious middle-aged and old men are the only ones who obsess over 40 times.

BUSTED!

He camped with the Badgers last year. Is he better than the QB they took? He’s rated lower than ours.

He camped with the Badgers last year. Is he better than the QB they took? He’s rated lower than ours.

He also camped with the Gophers several times, but that was way back when PJ had hair. Less hair = cooler head = he cooled on Kristoff.

5330378.jpg

I wish Kristoff the best, but we’re not going to take another QB in this class...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom