Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

per Sid:

• The Gophers football team still has the No. 9 ranked recruiting group in the Class of 2021, according to 247 Sports. Ahead are Ohio State, Tennessee, Clemson, North Carolina, Michigan, USC, Florida and LSU. The Gophers’ 17 commitments are second in the Big Ten only to Ohio State.

Go Gophers!!

Indy Star: Football recruiting: Center Grove's Booker commits to Minnesota

One of the state’s top defensive line prospects made his college commitment on Saturday and another narrowed his list to six schools.

Center Grove senior-to-be Austin Booker announced his commitment to Minnesota. The 6-6, 235-pound Booker was also closely considering Oregon and an offer list that also included Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan State and Nebraska in the Big Ten, along with Arizona, Arizona State, Kansas, Missouri, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt and Washington, among others.

“(Minnesota) connected me with people around the program and started early building the 2021 class,” Booker said.

Booker, rated as a three-star recruit by 247sports and the No. 8 in-state prospect, posted eight sacks last season for the Class 6A state runner-up Trojans and 67 total tackles. He also plays basketball for Center Grove

Booker has a connection to Minnesota defensive line coach Chad Wilt, who was recruiting him at Cincinnati before he was hired by Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck in January. Wilt’s father, Steve Wilt, coached at Taylor University from 1994-2005, which is where Chad played in college with Booker’s father, Duaine Booker, in the late 1990s.

“He was the first coach to offer me so I’m pretty comfortable with him,” Booker said of Wilt.

Go Gophers!!

Seems like LB is one position that the staff hasn't been recruiting as hard this class. If you look at the last couple of classes LB was hit pretty hard with James Gordon, Donald Willis, Itayvion Brown, Jaqwondis Burns, etc. Do people think we will be taking a few more LB's this class or that we only stick with Devon Williams and use our scholarships on more needed positions?

It seems like they are building two deep plus quality depth. They want to keep the Defense fresh with frequent substitution.

I predict that the Gophers will soon have one of the top defenses in the B1G.

Seems like LB is one position that the staff hasn't been recruiting as hard this class. If you look at the last couple of classes LB was hit pretty hard with James Gordon, Donald Willis, Itayvion Brown, Jaqwondis Burns, etc. Do people think we will be taking a few more LB's this class or that we only stick with Devon Williams and use our scholarships on more needed positions?
Numbers wise, I'd like to see another LB myself. DT may be the biggest need, though, and a big OG too. If they finished with those 3 I'd be thrilled.

Numbers wise, I'd like to see another LB myself. DT may be the biggest need, though, and a big OG too. If they finished with those 3 I'd be thrilled.
Byron Murphy outta Texas at DT would be great to see. Seems like a player. That's a real competitive offer list he has so it'll be a tough get. Too bad about Regis but it is what is. Nature of the game.

Think we end up taking 1 LB, 1 DE, 1 DT, 1-2 OL and maybe 1 WR to finish up the class.

Since the Gophers are still recruiting Montgomery and Townley, maybe Montgomery is seen as more of a hybrid LB/rush DE.

Since the Gophers are still recruiting Montgomery and Townley, maybe Montgomery is seen as more of a hybrid LB/rush DE.
I was thinking that might just naturally unfold over time. First year or two see what you got in everybody at the DE spot and then let natural selection happen. Adjust based on success and make some movements.
Maybe it would be smarter to just start Montgomery and Alexander at the Hybrid spot you mentioned to prep 'em for that from the start though. Suppose it depends on what the kid wants and what the staff identifies for him too. Having those conversations.

I could see them also recruiting both and only taking 1 of them in the end.
I just don't think you can pass on either of those kids. They should be able to find the field somewhere. I don't see a scenario where we would pass on Townley in any case being from MN and 247 having him ranked as a 4 star kid. Possibly Montgomery or we ease off the gas recruiting him, but I don't think I see that happening either. I'd like to see 'em both here. Townley I'm all in and am ready for him to commit.

It seems like they are building two deep plus quality depth. They want to keep the Defense fresh with frequent substitution.

I predict that the Gophers will soon have one of the top defenses in the B1G.
Yeah seems like in the past there were often 2 or 3 walkons playing significant reps if not starting, especially on defense. I feel like this staff does a great job of identifying and addressing depth all around.

They don't sit around too long when they did not get their man. In workman like fashion, they simply find a better upgrade wanting to be a Gopher.

They don't sit around too long when they did not get their man. In workman like fashion, they simply find a better upgrade wanting to be a Gopher.
Good point! I was surprised to see that Ru'Quan Buckley was just termed a "Top Target" even though he is only "warm" for Nebraska. I don't knew who will be the final commits, but this should be interesting. If Townley and Alt want to be Gophers, I hope that they don't wait too long.

Very nice...

Nice to see. Maybe Ortiz can be one of the truly special ones: All Big Ten as a player combined with Academic All Big Ten. Or maybe an Academic All American plus ... Have to stop now. My fingers are tingling.

I just don't think you can pass on either of those kids. They should be able to find the field somewhere. I don't see a scenario where we would pass on Townley in any case being from MN and 247 having him ranked as a 4 star kid. Possibly Montgomery or we ease off the gas recruiting him, but I don't think I see that happening either. I'd like to see 'em both here. Townley I'm all in and am ready for him to commit.
I want Townley. He could be a force. Another North High guy, also. So great for the City of Minneapolis for Townley to stay home.

I want Townley. He could be a force. Another North High guy, also. So great for the City of Minneapolis for Townley to stay home.
From what I've heard, and expect going forward, the coaching staff is pushing hard for him. I wouldn't expect him to get out of Minnesota.

From what I've heard, and expect going forward, the coaching staff is pushing hard for him. I wouldn't expect him to get out of Minnesota.

To each his own when a kid decides where to go. IMHO, staying home will be mutually beneficial for the North Minneapolis Community and the U. A big plus is that all the support systems are here for the kids.

Maybe it will stem the tide of Minneapolis North athletes transferring to other area HS. What Tyler Johnson did served his community well. It will be a nice to establish a local pipeline to the U.

Gopher Football proximity ought to help tremendously.

Nice to see. Maybe Ortiz can be one of the truly special ones: All Big Ten as a player combined with Academic All Big Ten. Or maybe an Academic All American plus ... Have to stop now. My fingers are tingling.

Pretty cool to see a high level athlete touting his work in the classroom, definitely the kind of guy Fleck targets in recruiting as he tries to make it about more then just football within the program.

Always want to be careful about building up too much hype around a recruit who hasn't even signed yet or proven he can get it done on the field but Ortiz definitely has the feel of being one of those really special recruits and strikes me as someone who will quickly become a leader once he gets here.

Can Minnesota stay at No. 9 in football recruiting rankings?

“I think we’re building the talent to be able to win a National Championship,” head coach P.J. Fleck recently told 247Sports during an appearance on the Social Distance series. “I think we have the talent, what we have to continue to do is keep building the skill. I think players win championships.

“What can change though as we have more proof, time, consistency, proof, and people start to trust our program as a blue blood more, than what you’re going to be able to see is that skill go up. The talent is the heart and spirit and unconquerable will of a person, but the skills, those measurables, those skills can go up and that’s what I think you’re starting to see in our recruiting a little bit.”

Minnesota currently sits at No. 9 in the recruiting rankings.
The Gophers have 18 commitments, including five four-star players. Stars like corner Avante Dickerson, QB Athan Kaliakmanis, corner Steven Ortiz,RB Mar’Keise Irving, and athlete Sam Jackson are the bedrock of the class.

So let's evaluate Minnesota’'s chance of finishing at No. 9 or better. To start, let's establish what a team finishing No. 9 in the ratings normally does in the Early Signing Period era.

The No. 9 team typically finishes with about 276 points.
The way those teams get there is pretty similar in the Early Signing Period era.

They typically sign 0-1 five-star recruits, but they do manage to sign roughly 15 recruits rated four-stars.

Their average recruit rating is a 90.9

And those teams averaged going 10-2 in the regular season (anywhere from 7-5 to 12-0).

Historically, Minnesota does not measure up.
In the three classes encompassing the ESP era, Minnesota has an average class rank of 40th. That is worlds away from 9th.

Go Gophers!!

It will be interesting to see how Iowa's latest S&C/culture mess impacts their 2021 recruiting. They were off to a nice start but likely will lose some recruits due to it. I like our chances even more now in recruiting battles with the Squaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom