Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

In regards to Pitino fan saying it'll be tough to get 8-9 wins if we don't get this suspended players back...remember 4 of them didn't play a snap, the two running backs are not needed..in regards to the players who did play, we went 2-1 without Shenault, 4-1 in games Hardin didn't play, 6-2 in games Buford didn't play and 3-0 in games without Winfield. So this total panic...that a bunch of mostly freshmen or non-contributors won't be back, IMO is silly. Fleck has done a great job with this class and Claeys is handing over a pretty solid team where we won't be relying on freshmen in spots outside of DB. The concern I have is far more at QB than DB...we didn't lose an incredible QB, (but Leidner did just get invited to the combine?!) but only Rhoda has played a snap...at a minimum, we have 5 guys from whom to pick: PWO Roste, former PWO Rhoda, JUCO McClaurin, Jr. Croft and true freshman Morgan. That's where I would be worried just because there are so many unknowns.

It is a solid team with talent in non-starters who got considerable playing time. Can't help but think QB will be a push or slight improvement, considering the critical INTs ML had. Although Fleck's offense is fairly similar overall, Fleck's passing offense fits much better for QBs like Rhoda and Croft, and he does not relay on the QB to be able to run as much.

Broken record time for me...couple the above with the challenges Neb will have at QB, and IA will have in almost all its offensive skill positions, those games really fall in the toss-up category for me this year. Eight regular season wins is a perfectly reasonable expectation.

This is my theory as well. Maybe Fleck got good news from a higher rated recruit on their board. Hard to say who did what to whom.

They may never have offered. Kids sometimes assume an offer with an official visit, and that isn't always the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get that people were pleased with the defensive backs Claeys and Sawvel brought in and developed. They obviously had an approach that worked, and it's been fun to be competitive defensively virtually every week after years of bad defense. That's the primary reason I wanted to roll with the previous staff.

Yet, the new staff had a pretty decent defense, and developed some good defensive backs as well. Last year they played Northwestern, Illinois, and Wisconsin and played them as tough or tougher than we did defensively. Of course, their offense being more effective helped with fewer turnovers, etc, which hopefully will be seen here as well.

In a nutshell, as much as I appreciate what Sawvel and Claeys did here with defense and d-backs in particular, there are other coaches who have been pretty successful and know what they are looking for.

Dear god, I really hope he ends up as part of this class. He is my favorite commit by far. It would break my heart of it didn't work out for some reason.

Does he have difficulty getting pass admissions? What is the deal? We need a big guy like him in the lineup.

Safety Mykelti Williams is till down at Iowa Western.

Or is that we got commitments from 3 more DT's this past week??

If that is the reason, that's kind of crappy. Talk a kid into de-committing from your previous school to follow you to your new school and then pull that offer. That would be pretty crappy.

I have to assume that is not how it went down.

Or is that we got commitments from 3 more DT's this past week??

Well if you subtract Crolsen then it is two DT's plus one is a JC so we only gained one HS DT. I wouldn't think that would be it especially since Chambers was a take for Ole Miss but who knows. Really hope there is nothing to this.

If that is the reason, that's kind of crappy. Talk a kid into de-committing from your previous school to follow you to your new school and then pull that offer. That would be pretty crappy.

+1

Well if you subtract Crolsen then it is two DT's plus one is a JC so we only gained one HS DT. I wouldn't think that would be it especially since Chambers was a take for Ole Miss but who knows. Really hope there is nothing to this.

I actually think Chambers probably ends up at OT regardless. I hope he is part of the class.

Not only did Chambers visit on the 20th, but Fleck visited him on the 24th. Weird. Still thinking grades might be a factor here.

I was excited for him because of how excited he was to be here. Chris Bell is the same way.

It sounds like it is grades related

I actually think Chambers probably ends up at OT regardless. I hope he is part of the class.

To me Chambers would just be another guy if he were on the O-line. His size advantage is something we've never seen before on our D-line, at least in a long time and would be something that gets me easily excited. He is the type of big yet athletic DT that the SEC typically gobbles up that has been so hard to recruit for us recently.

Would he consider the Iowa Western JC route, and then to the Gophers?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

It sounds like it is grades related

Why does it look grades related? Has something been reported on it?

To me Chambers would just be another guy if he were on the O-line. His size advantage is something we've never seen before on our D-line, at least in a long time and would be something that gets me easily excited. He is the type of big yet athletic DT that the SEC typically gobbles up that has been so hard to recruit for us recently.

That could be. IMO, there is a reason why you don't see a lot of 6"4" 300 + HS kids play DT. . .they usually aren't athletic enough. Most DTs, even in the SEC, sort of grow into an NFL size.

I could certainly be wrong. I would have liked the big to be part of the class either way.

DeMarcus was Jay Johnson's QB recruit. He got himself in with the cabal and probably will not be back. Campbell and Jones were the day after NSD.

No - again, Campbell and Jones were on NSD.

That would NOT be ELITE!

Top Bottom