Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

On the Sports Huddle it sounds like Fleck will honor all in-state commits and is evaluating the out of the state commits.

Go Gophers!!

On the Sports Huddle it sounds like Fleck will honor all in-state commits and is evaluating the out of the state commits.

I don't know if other coaches have done this (in-state vs. out-of-state), but it's actually very clever and good PR.

I don't know if other coaches have done this (in-state vs. out-of-state), but it's actually very clever and good PR.

As we all know from his presser, he wants to lock the state down as far as recruiting and also a 700 mile or 7 hour circle around the Twin Cities... I can't recall which... Leads me to wonder if Winnipeg has any players.

As www ll know from his presser, he wants to lock the state down as far as recruiting and also a 700 mile or 7 hour circle around the Twin Cities... I can't recall which...

7 hour circle includes Milwaukee and Chicago. I thought it was silly when he said it. But anyway, I'd prefer we honor all the commitments. And maybe in the end, that's what he'll do.

As www ll know from his presser, he wants to lock the state down as far as recruiting and also a 700 mile or 7 hour circle around the Twin Cities... I can't recall which...

Could be both if you have ELITE speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were simply naming other short quarterbacks, not comparing skill sets.

If part of your argument is naming the most successful 6 foot QB in history as an example of how short QBs can be successful then you clearly are leaving yourself open to the "comparison" claim. Just like some former 2 star that is now a HOF linebacker. Yes they exist but no that isn't the norm...just like short QBs being successful.

7 hour circle includes Milwaukee and Chicago. I thought it was silly when he said it. But anyway, I'd prefer we honor all the commitments. And maybe in the end, that's what he'll do.

What's silly about it?

I hope he meant 7 hours by plane...you can't win National Championships without the talent and speed from the Southeast and West.

What's silly about it?

That we'd get every athlete we want from the hometowns of other Big Ten Universities. Anyway, its semantics and we both know it. So I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Is there any chance that Fleck extends scholarship offers to anymore instate kids like Noah Gindorff, Nico Bolden, or Noah Carlson

This past regime overlooked some Minnesota high school talent by only offering these prospects preferred walk on aid. Blake Cashman is a perfect example. Noah Carlson should not be under-estimated. Don't let him go elsewhere. Also next year's recruiting class includes Owen King (quarterback). He has great skills and leadership skills that could look like the Penn St. QB.
Also, character is very important. Being a home state recruit is a large intangible that can pay dividends to a program.

This past regime overlooked some Minnesota high school talent by only offering these prospects preferred walk on aid. Blake Cashman is a perfect example. Noah Carlson should not be under-estimated. Don't let him go elsewhere. Also next year's recruiting class includes Owen King (quarterback). He has great skills and leadership skills that could look like the Penn St. QB.
Also, character is very important. Being a home state recruit is a large intangible that can pay dividends to a program.

The previous regimes recruited MN really well. I don't think anyone would say otherwise. Yeah, they overlooked a couple of guys, it's happens to everyone. I can predict the future, just wait, there will be guys from Mn that Fleck doesn't offer that will turn out to be really good football players.

This could be said of any program. There are always guys for whatever reason are overlooked. And I want the good Minnesota talent to stay home but he can't go around offering any MN kid who might be D2 skill hoping to develop him into being D1 starter down the line. That's exactly what the preferred walk-on is all about. If this team in 4 years is majority MN kids, we are definitely in trouble. Don't mistake locking down the boarders as offering way more MN kids scholarships. It's about keeping the kids who are talented enough to go to other major conferences to stay home.

I like that he is honoring the in-state guys. Like someone else mentioned, its good PR and it will help with in-state recruiting down the road. I don't think it would look great if you go the MN coaches clinic one day and talk about how important it is to get in-state talent and then the next day you go out and rescind scholarships from in-state players.

Agree. Same goes for Noah Gindorff but I doubt we offer him because of his position.

Cashman didn't even have any FCS offers from NDSU, UND, UNI, etc. He only had DII offers from UMD, SCSU and a few other places. I watched him play both FB and basketball at E.P. and got very familiar with him and he never really stood out at all. This is one that you can't blame the staff for missing.

Mason had an interesting comment about Minnesota recruits on the Sports Huddle this morning...

Notorious for developing late... thus great upside.... told his staff that if they were on the fence about a Minnesota kid, to get 'em. Example, Marion Barber.

Mason had an interesting comment about Minnesota recruits on the Sports Huddle this morning...

Notorious for developing late... thus great upside.... told his staff that if they were on the fence about a Minnesota kid, to get 'em. Example, Marion Barber.
Yeah and I think that holds true for a lot of kids in the upper midwest outside of Minnesota too.

Yeah and I think that holds true for a lot of kids in the upper midwest outside of Minnesota too.

Yeah, I think it's because MN doesn't do year round football. We have good football players, there just aren't a ton of them, so they aren't as "ready" because of lack of competition.

The thing I thought was interesting is that he should've gone a little farther. Put the number at eight hours and St Louis and Indianapolis would be included as well.

Also would mean Carson Wentz and Chad Greenway had we done so with the Dakotas.

Agree. Same goes for Noah Gindorff but I doubt we offer him because of his position.
The newly hired director of player personnel followed Noah on Twitter. Not worth much, but you wouldn't think they'd do that if they weren't at least kicking the tires.

The thing I thought was interesting is that he should've gone a little farther. Put the number at eight hours and St Louis and Indianapolis would be included as well.
Depends how fast he drives.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

Blake Cashman is a perfect example of why having a good walk-on program is so important. Kill and staff did a great job of identifying quality walkons.

The newly hired director of player personnel followed Noah on Twitter. Not worth much, but you wouldn't think they'd do that if they weren't at least kicking the tires.
247 shows a crystal ball prediction of 100% to Minnesota. Anyone know if that just changed? Still doesn't indicate that Minnesota offered.

Kansas City and St. Louis should be considered part of our territory (along with Chicago, obviously). Nobody "owns" those territories (even the local schools don't do a great job of recruiting locally) and there are way less teams with a geographic advantage than almost anywhere else we could realistically look for talent.

I think Kill thought his Kansas connections were going to pay off more in Kansas City, but it never really materialized outside of the JUCOs. It was at that point that they really started to focus more on Georgia.

Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumo...

We do NOT need to abandon Georgia as recruiting territory. It would be a HUGE mistake! We would not have the wins in the last three seasons like we had if it wasn't for the Georgia boys.

Top Bottom