Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

per Dane:

As news that P.J. Fleck had been named the new head football coach at the University of Minnesota became official, recruits were forced to sit and wait, unsure about their immediate future with the program.

“I’m still waiting to hear from Coach Fleck,” three-star wide receiver Javan Hawes said. “We aren’t sure right now if he’s going to honor the commitments from Coach Claeys. … I’m committed to a college that I really want to go to and now my future kind of rests in his hands.”

Hawes, of Tyrone, Ga., said even though the past few days have been stressful, he likes the Fleck hiring on the surface.

“It’s good for the program,” he said. “I feel like it can help clean the place up a little bit, at least when it comes to bringing some positivity with the negativity that has surrounded the program over the last month.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/06/gophers-recruit-says-new-coach-can-clean-the-place-up/

Go Gophers!!

Wasn't Hawes the WR that recently re-opened his recruitment up? ..and then rescinded it and said he was committed? Hmmm....

Will be fun to see him in front of a national audience Monday night talking x's and o's while wearing maroon and gold! I'll flip between coaches room and the standard broadcast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, unlike Dpods thrilling SI article that 300 people read, it will be nice for millions to see our new HC.

Wasn't Hawes the WR that recently re-opened his recruitment up? ..and then rescinded it and said he was committed? Hmmm....

Yeah, he seemed pretty level-headed in the tweets. I can see why a recruit would be like "WTF?" with the last month of the program.

I like the recruits and all of that, but don't these people realize that these kind of tweets just illustrate how dumb team rankings are?

We added 6 recruits (I think 4 3 star and 2 star), they have a lower "star average" than our class was prior to these signings. Yet, we jump up.

I'm not saying that I disagree with the recruits, they look good, and I am excited they're aboard. I just think it illustrates how dumb Coyle and Johnson sounded when they talked about recruiting rankings during their meeting.

So is the old schtick of asking whether the latest commit had a Western Michigan Offer kind of moot for the rest of this class?

per Dane:

As news that P.J. Fleck had been named the new head football coach at the University of Minnesota became official, recruits were forced to sit and wait, unsure about their immediate future with the program.

“I’m still waiting to hear from Coach Fleck,” three-star wide receiver Javan Hawes said. “We aren’t sure right now if he’s going to honor the commitments from Coach Claeys. … I’m committed to a college that I really want to go to and now my future kind of rests in his hands.”

Hawes, of Tyrone, Ga., said even though the past few days have been stressful, he likes the Fleck hiring on the surface.

“It’s good for the program,” he said. “I feel like it can help clean the place up a little bit, at least when it comes to bringing some positivity with the negativity that has surrounded the program over the last month.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/06/gophers-recruit-says-new-coach-can-clean-the-place-up/

Go Gophers!!

Haven't heard anything about the old recruits? Has anyone else seen anything?? If he is calling WMU recruits to make offers, you would think that he would get in touch with the current Gopher commits. Presumably we will hear something soon.

I like the recruits and all of that, but don't these people realize that these kind of tweets just illustrate how dumb team rankings are?

We added 6 recruits (I think 4 3 star and 2 star), they have a lower "star average" than our class was prior to these signings. Yet, we jump up.

I'm not saying that I disagree with the recruits, they look good, and I am excited they're aboard. I just think it illustrates how dumb Coyle and Johnson sounded when they talked about recruiting rankings during their meeting.

I agree they are overblown, but not being able to fill a class is definitely grounds for thinking a recruiting class is poor.

Haven't heard anything about the old recruits? Has anyone else seen anything?? If he is calling WMU recruits to make offers, you would think that he would get in touch with the current Gopher commits. Presumably we will hear something soon.

I hope he contacts them quickly. I really hope we keep Hawes and Creamer. I've see both play in person and I think we really need these two players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not only that, but its also ignoring the players the Gophers are bound to lose in their recruiting class, with the new hire.

Nate Umlor and Kyle Sassak are two more WMU guys that could be committing soon.

It's almost funny....if he retains Claey's recruits we could have a full class by the end of the weekend. Wow! From player's tweets, doesn't look like there are too many (or any for that matter) disappointed with the hire.

Getting their top rated DB would be nice! There doesn't seem to be any news regarding him switching his commit tho.

Getting their top rated DB would be nice! There doesn't seem to be any news regarding him switching his commit tho.

Who is that? I only see two cbs on their list, neither of which is very highly touted.

I'd like to see a "re-flip" of Kyrei Fisher out of Oklahoma.
Think it would be great to get him to flip back from Bert's Hogs. Isn't happening but I think it'd be fun to see.

Like last year's class?

I was speaking generally.

Bob was saying a class of 15 better than a class of 21 if the last 6 bring down the average. I disagree.

Unless the additions are horrible or it hampers you from getting different players, I don't mind taking a guy who brings the average down.

I was basically defending the practice of factoring in the number of committed players into a recruiting ranking.

Who is that? I only see two cbs on their list, neither of which is very highly touted.

Scratch that. Apparently, he's been re-evaluated and dropped. It was AJ Thomas. 247 has him as an 84 but he's a composite 80 now.

Let's hope Trey Creamer & Raheem Lane remain committed st CB.

584c3be491fe5228309fc7a56b371b0f87c35804f2ba52c6815ecfc285de3074.jpg

As chaotic and sometimes disturbing the past few weeks have been in the Gopher football universe, it has certainly given a lot of posters the opportunity to inject an appropriate amount of levity. Well done BarnBoy!

Top Bottom