Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

I think coaches can make phone calls at the present time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

This class will end up with the numbers it needs thanks to Fleck.

Which is good considering we're about to lose 10 guys.

Wonder how the Western Michigan commits who don't get offers will feel. Also I don't get the people criticizing the offers, at this point there's a month 'til signing day there's a limited number of players available at this point you can't build relationships with a month to go. At this point it's best to get the best mix of Minnesota commits and Western Michigan commits.

per Dane:

As news that P.J. Fleck had been named the new head football coach at the University of Minnesota became official, recruits were forced to sit and wait, unsure about their immediate future with the program.

“I’m still waiting to hear from Coach Fleck,” three-star wide receiver Javan Hawes said. “We aren’t sure right now if he’s going to honor the commitments from Coach Claeys. … I’m committed to a college that I really want to go to and now my future kind of rests in his hands.”

Hawes, of Tyrone, Ga., said even though the past few days have been stressful, he likes the Fleck hiring on the surface.

“It’s good for the program,” he said. “I feel like it can help clean the place up a little bit, at least when it comes to bringing some positivity with the negativity that has surrounded the program over the last month.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/06/gophers-recruit-says-new-coach-can-clean-the-place-up/

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

I can see both sides of the argument on taking a bunch of WMU commits. I think those against some of the additions make a good point when they say that some of these guys would get the "meh" treatment if they were brought in by Kill or Claeys. The other side makes good points about the need for numbers and the limited time before signing day. One point I'd like to add that I haven't seen made in the various threads (and I apologize if it has been) is that Fleck is likely going to be extra careful with character with this class. Given the incident that occurred here, and the publicity given to the walk on he recruited to WMU, bringing in a kid who gets in trouble would be really bad in the current climate at the U of M. I'd say the fact that he knows these kids and their backgrounds is big right now. I don't think you win with all choir boys, but nothing would derail Fleck's chances for success at Minnesota quicker than another big issue here.

I can see both sides of the argument on taking a bunch of WMU commits. I think those against some of the additions make a good point when they say that some of these guys would get the "meh" treatment if they were brought in by Kill or Claeys. The other side makes good points about the need for numbers and the limited time before signing day. One point I'd like to add that I haven't seen made in the various threads (and I apologize if it has been) is that Fleck is likely going to be extra careful with character with this class. Given the incident that occurred here, and the publicity given to the walk on he recruited to WMU, bringing in a kid who gets in trouble would be really bad in the current climate at the U of M. I'd say the fact that he knows these kids and their backgrounds is big right now. I don't think you win with all choir boys, but nothing would derail Fleck's chances for success at Minnesota quicker than another big issue here.

Very good point. He can fill this class quickly and then work on what is here and the coaching staff. This is all a one time thing. He did in one night what would have taken Claeys four weeks. Now I know some of our guys will be asked to look elsewhere. This is where O'Brien and Sherels will come in Big if retained.

Given the likely fallout from the incident, as many as we can sign, which would be 28.

And early enrollees go on last year. Not sure how that plays in.

Last night ESPN had the back screen with Ski U Mah across it.

National buzz? 5 MAC recruits jump to Big Ten team. Hardly causing concern in Columbus or Tuscaloosa.

It's a dead time for recruiting, so we happen to be the story. That's a good thing. Will help for next year. I'm excited to see 2018 recruiting.

National buzz? 5 MAC recruits jump to Big Ten team. Hardly causing concern in Columbus or Tuscaloosa.

584c3be491fe5228309fc7a56b371b0f87c35804f2ba52c6815ecfc285de3074.jpg

How many articles solely focused on Minnesota's recruiting have you seen on SI prior to this one?

None. Which is exactly the same number that 99.9% of the population has seen...mostly because we don't read SI. But 5 2-3 star recruits jumping to the Big Ten from the MAC isn't exactly noteworthy even if it was on the front page of every major newspaper in the country.

Will be fun to see him in front of a national audience Monday night talking x's and o's while wearing maroon and gold! I'll flip between coaches room and the standard broadcast.

Will be fun to see him in front of a national audience Monday night talking x's and o's while wearing maroon and gold! I'll flip between coaches room and the standard broadcast.

More info... I'm assuming he's still going to attend?

Coaches Film Room Features Five Coaches; Forgoes Most Commercial Breaks
The popular Coaches Film Room (ESPNEWS) is back with a new wrinkle: Limited commercial breaks. During some breaks in the action on the other networks, ESPNEWS will stay with the Bristol, Conn., based production as the coaches provide in-depth analysis from a film room equipped with multiple camera angles, clicker technology and telestration – like last year during this Deshaun Watson TD throw.

This year’s coaches include:

Dino Babers (Syracuse)
Dave Doeren (NC State)
PJ Fleck (Western Michigan)
Mark Helfrich (former Oregon head coach)
Mike MacIntrye (Colorado)
Matt Rhule (Baylor)
Brian Griese, ESPN college football analyst and national championship winning quarterback with Michigan (1997), joins the coaches to add his insight.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-r...hampionship-presented-att-clemson-vs-alabama/

I wonder if there are any higher ranked recruits that really liked Fleck and wanted to play for him but couldn't turn down an opportunity to play at a P5 school. If so, they could do both now.

That would really help recruiting.

Top Bottom