Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Not what I see

Maybe we are so focused on QBs when instead we should be looking at WRs who are game changers with speed and sure hands.

Makes me wonder if you put in McSorley if he will struggle like Leidner with the receiving corpse that we have. I am not knocking these guys. Conversely, how would Leidner fare if he was the starting QB at Penn State?

What makes McSorley great is the decisions he makes and his leadership. McSorley whispers in guys ears, motivates, pumps people up. Mitch leads by working hard and playing hurt. Mitch makes a lot of questionable decisions on the field. McSorley throws away from defenders...he's just better. I'm not convinced our receivers are hopeless. The touchdown pass to Barkley vs the blitz of Wisconsin, Mitch is never going to figure the timing, the touch, the concept, the identification etc out. They are not comparable as decision makers or leaders. McSorley knows when to do things, Mitch does not.

I can give a scouting report on Jaran Roste. I watched him play for the last 3 years and saw 9 of his games this year. What is interesting to me is that he was clearly the most talented player on the field. However, given the talent level of MN high school football, (Class 5A with towns like Moorhead, Monticello, Elk River, Sartell, St Cloud Tech, etc), it is hard to determine if he was B1G caliber even though he was the best on the field. He had 25 passing TDs, 2,400 passing yards and 18 rushing TDs. He set a MN state high school record for TDs in a game (I think it was 9) and points in a game (56). He played really well in the state All Star game. He is 6-3, 225. He has a plus arm and throws a lot better ball than Mitch (yeah, I know, that bar is pretty low!). He has running ability and is a fantastic basketball player. He stays calm in the pocket (actually really calm), but will tuck and run if the defense gives him that. He will come off of his #1 target at times to go through his reads, but like all young QBs could do a better job of that. His throws, if anything, were a little hot for the high school level (by hot I mean too much velocity and he missed a number of deep balls just barely off the WRs fingertips on overthrows). I think I could count his bad passes for the year on 1 hand. His WRs were typical of the talent level, decent, but his stats were not due to a stud WR. Plus, he is a really good kid by any measure.

personally, I am surprised he hasn't garnered more looks from high level programs (by that I mean lower level D1 type colleges ie Southern Illinois). I just don't know what he is missing. he has size, strength, arm strength, smarts, running ability...maybe that is a reflection of my talent evaluation abilities! Or maybe it is a reflection of the conference he plays in...it is hard to evaluate against inferior competition? I will tell you this, if it came down to a 20 "in" route where the ball had to be delivered in a window with velocity and on time, I would take him every time over Mitch. Not even close.

By the way, I lurk a lot but rarely post here.

I can give a scouting report on Jaran Roste. I watched him play for the last 3 years and saw 9 of his games this year. What is interesting to me is that he was clearly the most talented player on the field. However, given the talent level of MN high school football, (Class 5A with towns like Moorhead, Monticello, Elk River, Sartell, St Cloud Tech, etc), it is hard to determine if he was B1G caliber even though he was the best on the field. He had 25 passing TDs, 2,400 passing yards and 18 rushing TDs. He set a MN state high school record for TDs in a game (I think it was 9) and points in a game (56). He played really well in the state All Star game. He is 6-3, 225. He has a plus arm and throws a lot better ball than Mitch (yeah, I know, that bar is pretty low!). He has running ability and is a fantastic basketball player. He stays calm in the pocket (actually really calm), but will tuck and run if the defense gives him that. He will come off of his #1 target at times to go through his reads, but like all young QBs could do a better job of that. His throws, if anything, were a little hot for the high school level (by hot I mean too much velocity and he missed a number of deep balls just barely off the WRs fingertips on overthrows). I think I could count his bad passes for the year on 1 hand. His WRs were typical of the talent level, decent, but his stats were not due to a stud WR. Plus, he is a really good kid by any measure.

personally, I am surprised he hasn't garnered more looks from high level programs (by that I mean lower level D1 type colleges ie Southern Illinois). I just don't know what he is missing. he has size, strength, arm strength, smarts, running ability...maybe that is a reflection of my talent evaluation abilities! Or maybe it is a reflection of the conference he plays in...it is hard to evaluate against inferior competition? I will tell you this, if it came down to a 20 "in" route where the ball had to be delivered in a window with velocity and on time, I would take him every time over Mitch. Not even close.

You don't know whether he's Big Ten caliber, yet he "throws a lot better ball" than a guy who played in almost 50 Big Ten games and started most of them? Ok, sure.

He has ideal size.

That Roste kid has good size, moves well for a big kid and looks like he has a good arm at least on the run or move. Because of the competition he played against it is difficult to tell if his skill set translates to Big 10 level football. "if it came down to a 20 "in" route where the ball had to be delivered in a window with velocity and on time". This is the part of your quote I have doubt on, he looks like he try's to fit balls into windows like Mitch but is too late in reaction to get the ball there and too reliant on having a good arm(thinking he should do something he should not). A lot of young guys make bad decision based on them thinking they have a great arm.
This makes me think he is turnover prone like Mitch.

dpo,
Anybody who has watched Mitch knows he doesn't throw a good ball. Lots of ducks. That is but one measure of a QB and can be overcome in other ways. Peyton didn't throw as pretty of a ball as, say Brady, Brees, etc, but was deadly accurate and had perfect timing. My point is that Roste throws a better ball than Mitch, it in no way suggests that Roste is right now a better overall QB than Mitch.

Gopherdude, what are you basing your evaluation on? Have you watched him a bunch? He is a high school kid, so he isn't a polished NFL prospect, but I didn't see him throwing into too tight of windows too much. Some, certainly, as all QBs at that age tend to do, but within the realm of acceptability. When their good RB went down with injury, he was forced to shoulder a lot of the offensive load by himself and did a pretty dang good job of it.

dpo,
Anybody who has watched Mitch knows he doesn't throw a good ball. Lots of ducks. That is but one measure of a QB and can be overcome in other ways. Peyton didn't throw as pretty of a ball as, say Brady, Brees, etc, but was deadly accurate and had perfect timing. My point is that Roste throws a better ball than Mitch, it in no way suggests that Roste is right now a better overall QB than Mitch.

Gopherdude, what are you basing your evaluation on? Have you watched him a bunch? He is a high school kid, so he isn't a polished NFL prospect, but I didn't see him throwing into too tight of windows too much. Some, certainly, as all QBs at that age tend to do, but within the realm of acceptability. When their good RB went down with injury, he was forced to shoulder a lot of the offensive load by himself and did a pretty dang good job of it.

What you said, all young QB's tend to throw into tight windows and force throws based on the reliance of a good arm, at least that is an established tendency. Easy to do that against weak competition, and those that cannot close or read the throw before it happens.
Not saying Roste cannot be a Big 10 QB, I actually like him(he has way better size then the Farmington kid) but not sure he would fit in a Spread read option type offense the Gophers want to run with the QB running a lot. As well as he moves, he isn't as fast as Mitch, and is more of a pro set passer type. Surprised NDSU or SDSU hasn't jumped on this guy, he seems like he would be a fit for there type of passing offenses. He does throw a nice spiral I will give him that. I'm a bit surprised he doesn't have more lower D1 or FCS type offers, I think this kid can play at a higher level then D3 and D2.

I can give a scouting report on Jaran Roste. I watched him play for the last 3 years and saw 9 of his games this year. What is interesting to me is that he was clearly the most talented player on the field. .

He seems like the kind of kid that would be great to get as a walk on. Even if he doesn't stick as a QB maybe a potential LB or TE.

Can he throw like this? good watch-very impressive accuracy at 20 yards even if vs air.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tVoqA-LKGb4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gopherdude, he certainly will have some learning to do, but I really don't see any major holes in his game. I should have picked a different analogy than throwing into a tight window. I was just trying to illustrate his arm strength and accuracy. Certainly better decision making is a normal thing at that level and he is no worse than other kids and is very coachable. As for speed, I would guess he is just as fast as Mitch if not faster but I haven't looked up 40 times. He would break runs and not get caught. I wouldn't call him a speedster by any means, but he will hold his own there. NDSU had interest until they signed some kid from FL. I guess Wentz may have opened a few doors for them! And I totally agree, I don't see how he doesn't have a drawer full of lower D1 offers. It certainly is hard to judge based on the competition he faced. he ran a lot of read option this year, that was a staple of their offense.

You never know how kids like him will turn out. Look at PWO Blake Cashman. First he bleeds M&G and chose to walk on instead of taking sure offers at other schools. As a Sophomore, he is a lights out LB. If they have the work ethic and the burning desire to succeed that he has, that trumps pure athletic ability.

These are the players who earn their way to playing time.

According to Burns we have 12 guys visiting this weekend. Anyone have anymore info? Names or anything?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

According to Burns we have 12 guys visiting this weekend. Anyone have anymore info? Names or anything?

Somebody will undoubtedly list all the names here, but I believe this was the week many of our commits were going to visit. I think something like 9 or 10 on that list have already committed. Andrews, Abojei, Ryerse, etc.

I don't pay for gossip but Per Burns:

Jakayle Holmes
Neil McLaurin
Jordan Ulmer
Jacob Paulson
Jordan Ta'amu (not for certain)

The rest are the already committed including Javan Hawes who recently had an offer from Cincinatti

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Jakyle Holmes' highlights look like somebody playing Madden 2004 with Micheal Vick as their QB, WR, RB, CB, KR. That's just not fair...

Claeys has been waiting for the holidays to ramp up recruiting so he can leverage his physique and dress up as Santa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jakyle Holmes' highlights look like somebody playing Madden 2004 with Micheal Vick as their QB, WR, RB, CB, KR. That's just not fair...

Wholly quacamole! 4.38 40. When do we get this kid to commit? We can never have enough team speed.

We really need early an signing period to get kids to commit and sign early. Get them to visit up here from warmer climates when the grass is green, the birds are signing, and when Claeys can clicnch the deal while it is still warm. You wait until winter and they all run back home to mamma.

Jerry Kill knows how to sell the Twin Cities, and the Gopher Football Program. We are blessed with truly a beautiful metropolitan area.

We really need early an signing period to get kids to commit and sign early. Get them to visit up here from warmer climates when the grass is green, the birds are signing, and when Claeys can clicnch the deal while it is still warm. You wait until winter and they all run back home to mamma.

Jerry Kill knows how to sell the Twin Cities, and the Gopher Football Program. We are blessed with truly a beautiful metropolitan area.

5f7waqp.jpg

Looks like he could be a K.J. Maye type of player with more speed out of the slot or as a wide-out.

Maybe we are so focused on QBs when instead we should be looking at WRs who are game changers with speed and sure hands.

Makes me wonder if you put in McSorley if he will struggle like Leidner with the receiving corpse that we have. I am not knocking these guys. Conversely, how would Leidner fare if he was the starting QB at Penn State?
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
http://247sports.com/player/terry-wright-46035478
http://247sports.com/player/malik-stanley-67143

Only problem - Jerry Kill is not coaching the Gophers.

Only problem - Jerry Kill is not coaching the Gophers.

FIFUJerry Kill knew how to sell the Twin Cities, and the Gopher Football Program. We are blessed with truly a beautiful metropolitan area.

Top Bottom