Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

This recruit is fired up about the Dome! Is this pic from the Gutey era?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I like him better than most of the other recruits because this guy is truly blessed, and not just regular blessed like the others.

Go Gophers!!

I don't follow recruiting too closely at this point in the process. I usually wait until late summer or early fall, when we have a few commits and have narrowed down the rest of our list to a more manageable number. But I have noticed that many of the guys we have offered have offers numbering in double figures -- some with more than 20 offers. Is that typical for us this time of year or are we going after more guys who are at a higher level than we have in the past?

I don't follow recruiting too closely at this point in the process. I usually wait until late summer or early fall, when we have a few commits and have narrowed down the rest of our list to a more manageable number. But I have noticed that many of the guys we have offered have offers numbering in double figures -- some with more than 20 offers. Is that typical for us this time of year or are we going after more guys who are at a higher level than we have in the past?

We are going after guys who are blessed.

The coaches are visiting spring ball camps in the south so they are getting to meet and have in person evaluation opportunities for the first time with a lot of these players, where the southern teams may have already seen them at games in the fall.

The coaches are visiting spring ball camps in the south so they are getting to meet and have in person evaluation opportunities for the first time with a lot of these players, where the southern teams may have already seen them at games in the fall.
So the number of guys we've offered who have a dozen or two other offers is pretty much in line with what we've done in the past?

Go Gophers!!

Well not that many are blessed. So take that for what it is.

Does anyone know if we have Gopher alumni living down in SEC country and elsewhere who regularly go to HS football games who may know a thing or two on which players have potential to be good fit for the Gophers? It will be nice to hear from them here in GH.

It will be nice to have loyal fans who are in the know. I think someone here seem to post about players in the state of Indiana.

Do these folks ever say a thing or two to the Gopher coaches about potential prospects?

Very typical. As someone else said, offers before summer are usually either elite players and/or camp kids. Either way, they've already got a lot of eyeballs on them. If you'll notice, when we offer a recruit that has no "stars", it's often in conjunction with many similar programs offering him. Camp kid.

Not surprisingly, we haven't gotten a ton of players from that pool, so when it's a smaller in-state class, our commitments don't start rolling in until the season starts. That's usually when we start offering the guys from the high schools/community colleges we know, where connections are going to find the guys others may not.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Article on Minnetonka TE Powers Warren:

Minnesota sleeper Powers Warren rises in Oakland
By: Allen Trieu

Minnetonka (Minn.) tight end Powers Warren showed up at The Opening Regional in Oakland and turned heads. He does not currently have any offers, but has several major programs looking his way.

Powers Warren came a long way for last weekend's Opening Regional in Oakland, but the Minnetonka native found it worth the trip. A rising senior, who currently does not have any scholarship offers, he impressed with his 6-foot-3, 237-pound frame and pass-catching ability to the point that observers at the event are convinced those offers will be on their way.

"I chose to come out to California because I got invited to that one," he said, "and even if I didn't, I just think I get better out there, so I would still choose somewhere close to Cali if not there.
"I think I performed at my peak there. Being around all those great players just want to make you get better and do better."

The interest in Warren, who has also played 7 on 7 with California-based B2G, has been rising throughout the spring. "The University of Michigan, UCLA, NDSU, Minnesota and Syracuse have all been contacting me and sending a lot of mail lately." Warren adds that he will camp at UCLA, Michigan, Wake Forest, Syracuse and Minnesota with the possibility open of adding more to his schedule. Performances similar to Oakland at those camps should continue to raise his profile.

Go Gophers!!

When will we start seeing "Blessed to accept my offer from Minnesota!"

If Bowman likes Architecture, then Minnesota may interest him.

Go Gophers!!

I know it's a silly thing to say what may sway a potential recruit, but if this Mr. Bowman guy is truly interested in attending a University that has a good Architecture program, than Minnesota may be for him. Especially if you want to compare Minnesota to a place like Iowa.

Nice to see someone that has an eye on what major he is interested in. One word of advice if he get's into school here at Minnesota, from an internet rube that may know a few Architects. Internships are key, find a firm and or large business like a housing contractor, or commercial building firm, and make sure you get an internship and get some practical industry experience in the design field. I'm not talking about building houses or buildings either(there are good courses for some practical experience in that too), you need the practical experience working with software and design concepts, and project management in order to gain a foothold in the industry.
It is crucial in an industry like Architecture to make social connections with a firm, and work while in college on summer break to gain industry experience. Tough to do when you're a student athlete, and why some of us take an easier path. If his path truly leads him to Architecture down the road, Minnesota may be a place for him.

Go Gophers!!

I like elated. Solid choice.

Go Gophers!!

"Blessed and honored" trumps "Very thankful", he is a NU commit.

. Mykelti Williams is a WC grad, any news on a decision there, or has that ship sailed?

I wouldn't give up on Williams just yet. You never know, he may still make it here.

I wouldn't give up on Williams just yet. You never know, he may still make it here.

Saw some passing mention today of him enrolling at Iowa Western CC - seems to be a better chance than not that he eventually plays here if he makes his way through there unscathed.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom